The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did Peter get a bad deal with Nickelodeon?
Yeah, bad deal. 4 23.53%
He got a good deal. 7 41.18%
I don't have enough information to say. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Is it finally time for Hasbro to buy tmnt now?

(You know what I mean Indigoearth )
That crossover, huh?

Maybe TMNT sold for a lot less, but it at least got them into new hands easier (I assume?) and became profitable for their new owner FAR sooner. $522 million sounds insane, but I guess maybe to a toy company it's worth it... But imagine how much product, etc they're going to have to sell first to get that back before it technically can start becoming profitable... wow.

Not so sure I'd want TMNT solely owned by a toy company.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not so sure I'd want TMNT solely owned by a toy company.
Why not? They basically are now.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

People here legitimately seem to have no idea how large some kids franchises are. For example the Pokemon franchise has made more money worldwide than Star Wars, and Pokemon only came out in 1997 whereas Star Wars has a 20+ year headstart on it since it came out in 1978.

Harry Potter, Spongebob, etc. probably made more money worldwide than TMNT.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #24
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
People here legitimately seem to have no idea how large some kids franchises are. For example the Pokemon franchise has made more money worldwide than Star Wars, and Pokemon only came out in 1997 whereas Star Wars has a 20+ year headstart on it since it came out in 1978.

While this statement is not entirely accurate, it is indeed very close to the truth.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Sure, those are multi-billion dollar things... but Power Rangers...?

I guess maybe I'm not seeing the big picture here. Maybe it's because the TMNT has never had a "huge" hit with any movies, and only the toys make the big money... and that new toys don't necessarily guarantee more big money.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Actually, the Power Rangers IP also includes the American-exclusive rangers (titanium, the spirit rangers), villains (lord Zedd, Ransik, Dviatox), characters (zordon, Alpha) the American civilian identities and names (Tommy, Jason, Kimberly, trini, etc.), and the American exclusive names and story elements.

Say Hasbro were to buy out Toei's stake in the PR IP, and separate it from super sentai. MMPR could easily be remade, with redesign of the Zords and monsters (minus Zedd and the tengas, who could remain unchanged) and removing all Sentai visual elements. Rita Repulsa, goldar, scorpina, and the others could still be there, just after a radical redesign.
I mean, technically yes, they do gain a few characters and what not. But Power Rangers is still little more than an extension of Sentai. Every single season produced is just this bizarre dub-remake hybrid abomination, rather than something made from the ground up.

To be honest, I think the only reason it has 25 seasons is precisely because of how cheap this glorified dubbing probably is.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #27
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sure, those are multi-billion dollar things... but Power Rangers...?

I guess maybe I'm not seeing the big picture here. Maybe it's because the TMNT has never had a "huge" hit with any movies, and only the toys make the big money... and that new toys don't necessarily guarantee more big money.
One of the big factors is consistency of revenue.Power rangers remains roughly a consistent $350 million a year in revenue, while turtles may go high in some years, it can also drop off. The year the nick sale happened, TMNT was at a low Ebb, the 4kids show having just ended, and merchandise and licensing declining all across the board. Right now, during the sale to Hasbro, Power Rangers enjoys a high level of success worldwide.

The selling price isn't just figured what an IP has the potential to earn, but what it has recently proven to earn. Power ranger's constant seasonal turnover, compared to TMNT's turn over every 3-7 years, is a more consistent stream of revenue, thus making PR more valuable in that regard.

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #28
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I mean, technically yes, they do gain a few characters and what not. But Power Rangers is still little more than an extension of Sentai. Every single season produced is just this bizarre dub-remake hybrid abomination, rather than something made from the ground up.

To be honest, I think the only reason it has 25 seasons is precisely because of how cheap this glorified dubbing probably is.
First of all, as someone who has seen all the seasons of Sentai and power rangers going back to Zyu/mighty morphing... no. Super Sentai is not some high work of Japanese art that saban butchered. Super Sentai is a toy-driven kiddy show, that sometimes can get goofier than power rangers ever does. Yes, some seasons of Sentai are superior to PR, but some seasons are terrible, with far supeior power rangers counterparts, both shows are a mixed bag.Toei sees Super Sentai as a kiddie show- their big boy show that gets all the attention/makes all the money is kamen rider. And PR survived because it has remained a consistent stream of revenue for over two decades.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #29
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

When Nick bought TMNT intellectual property rights "lock, stock, and barrel" what did not go with it? TMNT 1987 distribution rights and viseo distribution rights, first three films, and Next Mutation distribution rights?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #30
sdp
-

I already posted a lot of these points on the Power Rangers thread but since that I've learned a lot more, Panda Khan has also been right in all his posts, so I"ll break it down to points below but for the TLDR: Hasbro bought more than just PRs and yes TMNT could've sold for more.

*Peter Laird likely sold TMNT for "cheap" (60 mill) to get out, also TMNT had no future plans, if he head shopped around more maybe he could've gotten more interest, especially if TMNT had future plans.

*Saban Brands bought Power Rangers from Disney for 100 million, Disney likely sold cheap since they didn't want to deal with Toei anymore and had just bought Marvel

*Saban Brands had 500 million in investment money, they bought many other brands including Julius for 50 million, Popples, My Pet Monster, rights for animes etc. Also Power Rangers still has a 3 year Nickelodeon deal

*Hasbro bought all of Saban's Brands, Power Rangers just happens to be the biggest one but between what Saban spent that we know it was already 150 mill from just PRs and Julius, surely the other brands were cheaper but they add up. With this in mind it's no longer "500 mill for Power Rangers!!1"

*Power Ranger has been on the air for 25 years with toys on the shelves always, they've had good and bad years but have been #1 boys best seller many years including when 2k3 was airing. PR does have wider appeal worldwide. TMNT was only ever a huge hit with the OT, 2k3 was successful but those two shows can't match PRs over their whole time.

*Hasbro wants to make their cinematic universe a reality and besides GI Joe/Transformers they have no real big brands. This deal gives them nearly 900 episodes of PRs among other properties that also have shows (VR Troopers.

*Even though they spent 500 million on Power Rangers, they still don't control the property, Toei has a big stake and basically co-own power rangers and can shot down any crazy ideas Hasbro may have

*This means Hasbro officially owns Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, which is not new to Hasbro since when they had their channel The Hub The Next Mutation also aired with other Hasbro cartoons.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:05 AM   #31
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I think Peter probably did fine. Hasbro bought more than just PR.

I agree with others that PR is far more consistent than TMNT and has a bigger backlog. So I think it makes sense for the most part.

The only thing I wondered about when I saw this news was Super Sentai. Like PR is just an American version. How does that work?

Anyway what I did not think of was possible crossovers...Transformers meet the Power Rangers? Transformer Zords? Mind blown Make it happen Hasbro!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Power Rangers also has like 1,000 episodes, TMNT does not. And remember Viacom doesn't actually own the original cartoon, so all they got was the 2k3 series prior to creating their own cartoons.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:46 AM   #33
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
First of all, as someone who has seen all the seasons of Sentai and power rangers going back to Zyu/mighty morphing... no. Super Sentai is not some high work of Japanese art that saban butchered. Super Sentai is a toy-driven kiddy show, that sometimes can get goofier than power rangers ever does. Yes, some seasons of Sentai are superior to PR, but some seasons are terrible, with far supeior power rangers counterparts, both shows are a mixed bag.Toei sees Super Sentai as a kiddie show- their big boy show that gets all the attention/makes all the money is kamen rider. And PR survived because it has remained a consistent stream of revenue for over two decades.
I never said that Sentai was "some high work of Japanese art that saban butchered". I just said that Power Rangers rely on it.

Here's the point. Most of the suits, props, pyrotechnics, CGI and whatever else has already been made and filmed before hand. All Disney/Saban ever had to do (in theory) is cut out the scenes lacking extensive SFX, so they could film non-union actors on New Zealand in it's place.

Of course you're always going to turn a profit with corner cutting like that.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #34
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
*This means Hasbro officially owns Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, which is not new to Hasbro since when they had their channel The Hub The Next Mutation also aired with other Hasbro cartoons.
So you're saying when they roll out their cinematic universe it'll consist of G.I. Joe, Transformers, Power Rangers, and...NT: TNM? Sold!
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #35
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I never said that Sentai was "some high work of Japanese art that saban butchered". I just said that Power Rangers rely on it.

Here's the point. Most of the suits, props, pyrotechnics, CGI and whatever else has already been made and filmed before hand. All Disney/Saban ever had to do (in theory) is cut out the scenes lacking extensive SFX, so they could film non-union actors on New Zealand in it's place.

Of course you're always going to turn a profit with corner cutting like that.
Okay, I understand what you are saying now. Yes, you do have a point of the money-saving of using premade sets, costumes, and props, along with some Japanese footage.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #36
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yes, Power Rangers is just that valuable. Power rangers is the equivalent/adaptation for the Japanese Super Sentai series for the rest of the world outside of East Asia. As someone who works in retail, I can tell you Power Rangers has a larger merchandising and licensing revenue stream now, than TMNT did before the Nickelodeon buyout. Power Rangers is an evergreen property that turns over every year or two, with new toys, new characters, and a whole new genre theme built into each season; basically, each season is like a brand new super hero team with anew set of villains, and the merchandise has to be bought all over again. TMNT, while personally I think a more interesting property, doesn't self -renew for the kiddies the way PR does every year or so.

In short, TMNT's artisitc value may or may not outweigh power rangers, but Power Rangers is monetarily the more valuable brand. Or rather, Power rangers is more valuable now, than TMNT was at the time of laird's sale. Also, as others have said, Hasbro is gettign all the past Power Ranger media and content, along other brands owned by saban, in the sale.
It's funny because I see kids wearing TMNT clothing than PR but more kids holding Power Rangers action figures than TMNT.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

As said the difference is TMNT comics aren't popular with kids (obviously) and the TMNT cartoons eventually end. Power Rangers more or less goes on forever and never stops, similar to Pokemon or other shows that consistently go on.

Likewise the height of TMNT's popularity was 1984-1992. By 1993 the TMNT fad was ending hence disappointing box office returns of TMNT III, the original cartoon heading toward its final seasons, and the Mirage comics eventually stopping by 1995 to the switch with Image where it never sold well.

And that was like....25+ years ago now.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #38
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Is "Power Rangers" really worth over 8 times what TMNT is?
as much as I hate to say it, it HAS had a new show on for almost 20 years straight. not saying those are good, but that might account for it.

I never understood the power rangers fad. it always looked cheap and badly done and even as a kid i could never get past it. it just didn't look cool.

Turtles to me looked far cooler.

what i don't get. why would saban buy it back a few years ago and then turn around and sell it again? iirc

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #39
Ninjinister
無問題

TMNT is way more niche than Power Rangers.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #40
sdp
-

Power Rangers definitely has a bigger fandom, look at all the sites dedicated to Power Rangers and their own convention. TMNT can't even compare.

Now I do think TMNT might be liked by more "casual" adult "fans" who grew up with the OT while Power Rangers for the longest time wasn't accepted by the adult fan, it's only recent that Power Rangers nostalgia is cool.

So yeah, it's a bit weird, I do think TMNT is more iconic and well known but might be seen like an artist that has a one hit wonder every once in a while and people love while Power Rangers has just been more consistent with new fans so they're like that one band that has somehow released many records after their first few hits without you even realizing and yet they have a consistent fanbase.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote