The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Emma Stone to star in Disney's 'Cruella'

Following the success of Maleficent, Disney is working on an origin story of another classic Disney villain, Cruella de Vil. Oscar winner Emma Stone is set to portray the iconic character in the film, which will be set in the punk era of the 1980's. Right now I, Tonya director is in talks to helm the picture. I don't think there needs to be another film about Cruella, but Stone is a fantastic actress. She does have big shoes to fill because Glenn Close did an outstanding job playing the character in 101 Dalmatians and 102 Dalmatians.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...rector-1166394
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Let me guess, she was pushed into a life of puppy skinning self obsession by some meanie and so her tyrannical behavior isn't really her fault.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Let me guess, she was pushed into a life of puppy skinning self obsession by some meanie and so her tyrannical behavior isn't really her fault.
It was her husband's fault.

Or her father's.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

So...this is live-action movies Cruella? The same one who responded to Anita's pregnancy (and her dog's pregnancy) by suggesting it was an accident? (Well...certainly unplanned, but not unwelcomed).

But yeah, Maleficent was a questionable enough villain to make "sympathetic". It's the reason why Team Starkid made "Twisted" (though I would rather watch a theatrical version of that than this).
And even in that, the other "misunderstood villains of stories" could not comprehend Cruella!

I could see a movie about Ursula working. Or Captain Hook. But leave the "curses a baby because she wasn't invited to a party" and "wants a coat made out of dogs so badly she'll have some of them stolen out of her employee's home, right after she's already had a white tiger poached from inside a zoo" villains outside of sympathetic light. Of course, it wasn't just the spots that she was so enamored with, but how soft puppy fur is. I'm pretty sure in the live action she did try to go after Perdita first until she realized that her fur was coarse and inflexible. But y'know...still going after her friend and employee's pet and insulting her every life choice along the way from marriage to parenthood.
"Banished to the outskirts of the kingdom by a ruler who may or may not be her brother" and "trapped on a magic island pestered by a violent prepubescent boy who adamantly refuses to become an adult and cuts off his hand as a prank" (good way to hit closer to the sadist that is book!Peter).

Some characters are better off truly being villains. And even when you add the sympathetic edges, you can't deviate from the path.

Also once again, Disney is preferring to make a live action movie over an animated movie. Great.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 12-05-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I'm not at all a fan of the modern approach of, "All 'villains' are really just misunderstood'." It's nonsense. Some people are simply Bad People, and if you don't believe that, you really need to meet more people.

By all means, though, let's try and find empathy for the woman who wants to skin puppies an' sh*t. Other movies do it too, but it's just... I know a lot of "Bad People", some of them since birth, and they were always like that. Stop giving kids the idea that it's all just a matter of perspective.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:08 AM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

In Maleficent's case, she isn't evil per se, she's just a Fey. And when the King invited everyone to the christening except her, of course she reacted as she did. The movie should have centered around the trauma of not being invited

Glenn Close just is Cruella de Vil to me, but I think Emma Stone can pull it off. Hopefully they'll fool us after Maleficent and have a movie about a ambitious woman that's just bad from the start.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:17 AM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, you don't really need that much more story on her than that. Especially when she had previously been, and gleefully been, malicious. The fact that they tried to make her story have an analogue for rape was, shall I say, making a thematic fetish out of other people's trauma. And yeah, while I get that people related...that was the wrong fvcking story to tell it with.

And...then there's the fact that they basically had to knock down the competence of the Three Good Fairies, who in my opinion, were the true stars of Sleeping Beauty. They were the most active, they had the most lines, they did the most to change things for the story, they realized they made mistakes. They may have bickered among each other, but...that's just a classic housemates situation.

(And when your name is MALEFICENT, where else can you go?)

Just freakin' let her be an scary elegant green lady who fvcks around with people for fun and then shows what she's made of when she's slighted.

I feel like to some extent, it was trying to ride the Wicked hype train several years too late. And didn't even quite do it right.

There's some point where I hope that Cruella could just have been bad from the start, but there's no way. They have to give her a "sad and sympathetic backstory uwu "
Old 12-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

After it was reported that this will be an 80's punk rock origin story I immediately remembered something. In the Glenn Close film, after Cruella saw Anita's drawings of a spotted fur coat, she said that she did leopard spots in the 80's. If this is going to be a prequel to the 1996 film, I'd imagine we're going to see what gave Cruella the idea to do that for her fashion line. Maybe she had a horrible experience with a leopard.

https://insidethemagic.net/2018/12/e...-origin-story/
Old 02-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

There's a report saying that production is going to begin this summer and it could be released in 2020, which is the same year as Mulan and Maleficent II. A brief synopsis has been released that reveals Cruella's real name.

Quote:
"Estella (Cruella De Vil) lives on the streets of 1980s London with other hoodlums, where we learn the real origins behind Estella's hatred of Dalmatians."
Disney's 'Cruella' to Reportedly Start Production This Summer
Old 02-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It was her husband's fault.

Or her father's.
Yeah. Evil white males, no matter what it ends up being.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #11
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
"Estella (Cruella De Vil) lives on the streets of 1980s London with other hoodlums, where we learn the real origins behind Estella's hatred of Dalmatians."
This sentence made me laugh. What, is her family going to be mauled to death by a group of rabid Dalmatians?

Actually, that'd be kind of awesome.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I didn't think she hated Dalmatians... didn't she just want to make a spotty fur coat?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #13
sdp
-

We already have a live action 101 Dalmatians by Disney, I know since I watched it as a little kid.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

"I'll take 'Answers To Questions Nobody Asked' for $500, Alex."

F*cking Disney.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

...Yeah, the continuing trend of completely missing the point of their own characters.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 AM   #16
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Please can these live action versions of their animated films just keep bombing so they can stop making them.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 AM   #17
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"I'll take 'Answers To Questions Nobody Asked' for $500, Alex."

F*cking Disney.

You mean questions like "Why is Cruella such a heartless, abusive b***h?" Hmm, would be interesting to find out.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

1. Daddy only paid attention to their dalmation growing up, and probably beat on mommy.

2. Some mean person has a bunch of dalmations, and extorts protection money from daddy and/or mommy. One day daddy/mommy can't pay, so they kill one or both of them.

3. Roaming dalmations cause some kind of trouble for her.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #19
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
This sentence made me laugh. What, is her family going to be mauled to death by a group of rabid Dalmatians?
The only reason to watch the movie.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
1. Daddy only paid attention to their dalmation growing up, and probably beat on mommy.

2. Some mean person has a bunch of dalmations, and extorts protection money from daddy and/or mommy. One day daddy/mommy can't pay, so they kill one or both of them.

3. Roaming dalmations cause some kind of trouble for her.

How about no to all of the above? Honestly, it was NEVER about the Dalmatians themselves, it was about their FUR. As with every other animal hide she adored. She was crazy for furs- but WHY? What made her so obsessed with furs? And why was she so willing to go to those extremes to get them? Those are questions worth answering, at least. She never hated the dogs- they were just a means to an end.
She only ended up hating them in the end after they outsmarted her.

For the record, the animated movie was actually based on a book of the same name. But in the book, there were actually THREE adult dogs, Pongo, his mate, and Perdita was actually another female they had adopted to help nurse the litter after she had lost hers. There is also much more in the book about Horace and Jasper, that was ignored in the film, like that they were murderers as well as thieves. Cruella herself was far more criminal too. I'd like to think this movie might actually dig into some of that material.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
101 sjws, disney's cuckella