The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > The Technodrome News

Notices

Old 09-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
Splinter
Radical Rat

Playmates: Spring 2005 - More Turtle Variants and Suprises!!

American Dream Comics wraps up their coverage of stuff to expect from Playmates in 2005. Though I would expect that some of these could likely show up sooner, since they showcase the Target exclusive Leo vs. T-Rex set which is already out. The Crashin' Mikey is new to me though, and I can't tell what scale he's in. He doesn't look like he's scaled to the basic figure line. But he does look cool.

We're getting more of the 'Ninja Action' figures, in the form of Shredder, Foot Soldier, and Splinter. Still not very impressed with these, and I wish we'd get a decent Splinter before we got a variant based on the Series I sculpt. All in all, they're a decent support series to the main line. But we still need an Utrom Shredder, which I have no clue why that's being avoided. As well as a basic Oroku Saki figure.

Then we have an odd little variant series of 'Air Ninja' figures. These seem to be really nicely articulated versions of the turtles, Shredder, and the Foot Soldier. Shame to see Splinter being left out, but hopefully these sell well and they decide to include him. A Super Articulated Splinter would be nice. The straps may be molded to the bodies, but the figures look pretty good otherwise, except Shredder looks a tad odd.

I don't really know what to say in regards to the Turbo Bashers line. I'm hoping these are in scale with the normal line, because I want the Prime Leader Zanroman figure. But he looks very squaty and probably will not be true to scale. Hopefully Playmates produces him in both lines, since we may as well have a lot of Triceraton figures. If not, it's another ball that's been dropped, since they're making his ship as a toy.

Follow the link to American Dream Comics for Pictures:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=20&itemid=4434

R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - New Episode Guide
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Triceraton
Foot Soldier

I'm pretty sure there will be a Zanroman figure in the basic line, after all they are making his crusier.

As for the rest of this stuff, the Turbo Bashers aren't for me. I was going to say the same about the Air Ninja line, but that Foot Ninja has a much better pose than any of the other ones we've got, and it's much more articulated. I've got to get at least 2 of him.
Triceraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:48 AM   #3
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

now see I like the ninja action figures...I wouldn't mind if they even made more figures like this.

This Mikey Figure on the skateboard...It's nice or well atleast the new joints are those finger joints are amazing.....but that skateboard...it's from the old next mutation line...so that's dissapointing....once again playmates being cheep they sure love reusing old ideas....atleast with the old skater mike he looked bad ass in his big old hip hop pants hahah.

Leo vs. trex is great I've seen it in person and I hope they do more things like this in the future of the line....things like this will keep me buying even if I'm not getting every thing like I once did.

Wow The Air Ninjas These things are really awsome...the ball joints...the way they look is sleek man these ones are bad ass..
I am just now looking at these! wow I loved don...then I look at leo he's the best to me I love his jet pack so much what a cool design...
See guys I'm not allways negative...I'm just telling the truth. This set is really stunning...the only thing I will say they need to change is the heads...I've had about enough of the fighting gear heads allready shesh!
Man that shredder is cool looking though..I wish they would have stayed with his silver paint job though.....and perhaps gave this one a utrom in it's belly...but it's still cool....and wow that new foot soldier is nice I'm so getting that one as well it's allot better then the first one. I give this set an A+
Turbo Bashers
I won't be getting these unless the box designs are killer...I don't collect the mini figures...but it is nice to see some new sculpts for mini turtles....and it's a pluss they come with those spinner things.
I will be getting the Zanroman figure because we don't have a normal version of him yet...

Well my fealings on the line are once again mixed...but chracters I really like look like crap....soo that's not good...the bad is most certanly out weighing the bad these days with this line.
-VM
[/b]
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
Y2Bogus
Foot Soldier

As a great philosopher once said, "why?" The ninja action figures look pretty bad. It looks like the Turtle mold was retooled, which leaves humanoid figures disproportioned. The air ninjas are passable. If that Foot Ninja is to scale with the regular 5 inch figures, he'd be great as an army builder, since he looks like he's more readily able to stand under his own power than his previous counterpart. If they're looking for filler, I'd suggest an updated Sgt Bananas. He was always one of my favortie figures for some reason.
Y2Bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
MasterMole
Foot Soldier

Playmates better surprise us with a good figure of Utrom Shredder. He should wear the armor portrayed in either "Secret Origins", or "Rogue in House"; his actual brain body should be identical to the one in the show, standing out from the basic Utroms. There should be no questions asked;
this figure must be made, for the kids' benefits. Then they will know who Shredder trully is...a brain. I bet lots of kid fans don't know this; when they buy a figure, they think he's a man or robot.
TMNT are Cool. I anticipate buying the next toy(I hope) and watching the next episode. Will a company please give the Proper DVD release to the current and classic Turtles cartoons? Playmates Toys: Shape Up, OR feast on my large,lumpy,hairy MOLE, then Back Off!
MasterMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
JDavis
Foot Soldier

The Utroms are not brains! They have them, yes, but they are not JUST a brain.

Anyway, I've stated my opinion on variants before. I want variants like the Turtles in their Fallen Angel outfits, Turtles with prison tatoos, energy cuff things, atmosphere converters, and replacement weapons from Turtles In Space Part 3: The Big House, and the Turtles in their Golden Puck outfits.

The Ninja Action figures are usually oddly proportioned, and aren't really very useful. The old toyline's Ninja Actions were cool because they looked rather Mirage-like, but the new line's don't.

In response to what Putrescent said, I checked the Next Mutation figures and this Crashin Mikey's skateboard (I'm tempted to call it a cheapskate...) doesn't appear to be the same as any of the ones packaged with those figures. Infact, a rather close inspection of Crashin Mikey's board reveals a power switch (between the orange part in the middle and the back wheels) and a long hole for the front wheel axle... Which to me says it may be remote control... and if it isn't, it at least goes forward on its own.

As far as the Air Ninjas go... the Foot Soldier is the only one that looks decent to me at all. And the Turbo Bashers may be worth it for the miniature figures, depending mostly on the price.

Everyone should read MNT Gaiden, by Tigerfog
JDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:40 PM   #7
Urbanski
Thug

I don't know about the rest of you, but I hate the varients. I wouldn't mind if they were in different outfits from the show, but the ones they come out with are just rediculous. When a new wave of figures comes out, how annoying is it to have to wade through the abyss of varients to find an Utrom Exoskeleton or a Guardian Ninja, only to find that they are sold out. And you know those varients are just gonna sit there for months until they get clearanced out.

Its as if there's some board room at Playmates where the president goes, "All right people, we need ideas for more TMNT figures, anyone?"

And in the back, someone sheepishly raises his hand and says, "Sir, how about another varient series?"

The hot new-girl goes, "That's a great idea, how about the Turtles as firemen?"

Then the company's computer guy says, "Excuse me, sir, but how about creating some of the characters that are actually on the show? You know, like the Utrom Shredder..."

The room is utterly quiet as everyone stares...

New-girl breaks the silence with, "OR, we could do NASCAR turtles, with mullets, I think that would go over well..."

Momentary pause, and then... the slow clap, started by the President, who is then joined by the others in a rousing chorus of applause.

I think someone just earned a promotion.

~ Leonardo
Urbanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
Y2Bogus
Foot Soldier

I think the variant factor could be solved by splitting the figures into 2 assortments. Each wave of figures should be split into an assortment containing only the Turtle Variants, and a second assortment containing only secondary characters. This way the stores could restock on whichever is selling, without needlessly filling the pegs with figures that aren't moving. Because right now, as I hunt for 4 Armed Shredder and Fugitoid, I have to wait until 20 some odd pegs of Space and Scuba Turtles disappear before a new case goes up, and even then, I have no guarantee of getting there in time to snag the figures I want. Playmates ahs been good about answering fan concerns so far, I really hope they'd look into something like this.
Y2Bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:21 PM   #9
d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
Banned

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/html/toyfair2004.html shows a kari action figure in Shredder's Suit. Why? This figure doesn't make sense, or maybe since KAri dressed up as Shredder in City at WAr part 3, but this should be a variant and maybe they will release Kari without the Shredder uniform later. They still need the Shredder utrom figure.
d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:15 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

and quarry...don't foget her....it's a cheap way to produce a Kari fig, just slap her head on an old tin skin skulpt...way to reuse parts Playmates, he said his voice ozzing with sarcasm...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:54 PM   #11
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Actually, the Karai figure is a new sculpt all the way around. If you compare it with a Shredder fig, they are totally different.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:55 AM   #12
Chewie
Foot Soldier

You are soooooooooooo lucky Guys.

Bad News from germany: Still no Turtles.

If I want to buy Turtles I must travel to the Netherlands

That will be the Wish for my Birthday:Turtles in Bochum/Germany!

You cannot know, what Pain is in my Brain as i read your Replys, and Discussions about Variants......

Turtles, Dino Riders, M.A.S.K., Starcom, Masters of the Universe, Captain Future, Brave Starr, Saber Rider, Galaxy Rangers and much more!
Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #13
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I gotta agree. There's just no love for what we have. I get so excited about new figures coming out and people bash them into the ground. What's even worse, is that most of them buy the figures anyway. What the shell?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:51 PM   #14
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Oy gavalt.

I think by now everyone knows my opinion on variants. But I have to say that those Turbo Bashers remind me of Beyblade too much.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:50 PM   #15
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

I think the basher figures is a sucky idea.I think Playmates should make an Utrom Air Ninja.Maybe even a Fugitoid one.I think they should make some Justice Force figures.Another Splinter figure would be nice as long as it's not a Ninja Action one.I think Cerebus from TMNT #8 Vol.1 should be a figure.That would be intresting.I know that there's gonna be a Zanramon figure so no need to worry.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #16
Splinter
Radical Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowabunga14
I think Cerebus from TMNT #8 Vol.1 should be a figure.That would be intresting.
That will never happen. Mirage no longer has the rights for the character, and can't even reprint TMNT #8 in it's original form because of it. Supposedly the issue is going to be redrawn/rewritten for the eventual TPBs of the old TMNT comics.

R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - New Episode Guide
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:24 AM   #17
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00
I gotta agree. There's just no love for what we have. I get so excited about new figures coming out and people bash them into the ground. What's even worse, is that most of them buy the figures anyway. What the shell?
Yeah, people shouldn't complain about variants or re-used parts. I haven't even seen April here. That's wave 2 people! We have Casey and Hun, but no April! Don't complain, because you could be stuck like us in Canada!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:30 PM   #18
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00
Yeah, people shouldn't complain about variants or re-used parts. I haven't even seen April here. That's wave 2 people! We have Casey and Hun, but no April! Don't complain, because you could be stuck like us in Canada!
The horrors of living in a communist nation.

I loved the old toon variants, probably because I was a kid. With the new toon, I'll pick up the originals and the mutating turtles. Maybe some others as long as they aren't too out there. Like "Professor of Astrophysics Raphael" or "Nondemoninational Religious Icon Donatello." ...on second thought...
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:19 AM   #19
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron
Like "Professor of Astrophysics Raphael" or "Nondemoninational Religious Icon Donatello." ...on second thought...
I still like my "Drag Queen Turtles" idea. I think that could work. But who would shell out the money for that?

Heh heh. Get it? Shell out the money? Huh? Huh?

Ah, crap.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:51 AM   #20
d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
Banned

What more viarantes will be released. Playmates tends to make more varients than regular characters.
d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu is offline   Reply With Quote