The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Why have TMNT DVDs been neglected in the U.K.?

Ever since I bought the 25th Anniversary set for season 1&2 I could never get any more and this bothered me. Why was the 1987 and 2003 shows ignored (for the most part) on DVD and on iTunes

Whilst on the topic of iTunes I've noticed that the first 3 seasons of the 2003 show were up there. We're these rebroadcast at some point (after the start of the Nick show)?
Old 02-26-2017, 04:01 AM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

There are many series where releases begin, but only completed in its original country.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Not enough demand I think. Regarding the Fred Wolf series, some other episodes were released in the U.K. and Ireland in 2014 via the Turtle-centric DVDs (Best of Leonardo, for example) and Cowabunga Classics.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

There's no market for DVDs anymore so it's just not going to happen unless it's a limited edition for fans only or really cheap releases for kids. As to why it didn't happen when the format was hot? Who knows, huge missed opportunity.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #5
dragonside
Hench Mutant

its really sad that they can't do proper full DVD releases over internationally.

The management and interest from the distributors in the UK might have a hard time even obtaining the license for further releases - who knows? I thought international licensing and distribution was a lucrative business once upon a time. They should have just released the Turtle Van Set in the UK.

If you feel like dabbling in Region Free DVD players - there might be some options here for international shipping:
https://www.amazon.ca/Teenage-Mutant...turtle+van+dvd

However, on the flip - I see some licenses do way better in the Australia - i.e. for pokemon - releasing much better than even the States.

I am not sure what the market there is like? do people still value dvds? are blu rays even in? or has streaming completely taken over.

For those that love physical media - its going to fade like Saturday Morning Cartoons.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
For those that love physical media - its going to fade like Saturday Morning Cartoons.
I don't doubt that which is quite sad. I gave up waiting for the cartoon series to get a UK release and bought the German DVDs, at least the quality is a bit better.

I never really understood why Turtles and Real Ghostbusters haven't had proper DVD releases in the UK. They're two of the most famous cartoons yet hardly get any attention. When I did work experience for Metrodome more than ten years ago I suggested they start releasing the 80s TMNT series but as you can see they ultimately decided not to.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I don't doubt that which is quite sad. I gave up waiting for the cartoon series to get a UK release and bought the German DVDs, at least the quality is a bit better.

I never really understood why Turtles and Real Ghostbusters haven't had proper DVD releases in the UK. They're two of the most famous cartoons yet hardly get any attention. When I did work experience for Metrodome more than ten years ago I suggested they start releasing the 80s TMNT series but as you can see they ultimately decided not to.
aw man you were even part of the movement to try and release it. I think a lot of copyrights, piracy, even just sales. Oh I like the real ghostbusters too, that was a great show. Good on ya for the German releases, I bought a few of those and they were definitely better sourced. Cheers brother.

I spent a lot of time hunting internationally for TMNT dvds too, got some of the 4kids stuff from Australia, German DVDs when it looked like the Turtles Time travel episode were missed, Hong Kong Versions of the 1990s series of movies.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

But aren't the German DVD's in German?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
But aren't the German DVD's in German?
They contain the original uncut US version as well as the German dub.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
They contain the original uncut US version as well as the German dub.
Exactly and the quality is better than the US version which is the same for what little was released in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
aw man you were even part of the movement to try and release it. I think a lot of copyrights, piracy, even just sales. Oh I like the real ghostbusters too, that was a great show. Good on ya for the German releases, I bought a few of those and they were definitely better sourced. Cheers brother.
No problem. When I did work experience at Metrodome I came up with a rather optimistic list of stuff they could get the rights to. Lionsgate sure weren't doing anything with the show. I told Metrodome with the release of the CGI movie in 2007 they could cash in on that (not my personal reasoning but my way to tempt them from a business point of view). Had they handled it like the Transformers animated series they would have made a fair bit of money off the 80s Turtles series and Metrodome might still be around today. Oh well...
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote