The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

They're great movies and I rewatch them every couple of years. I'm surprised, nearly everyone who likes action/sci-fi loves Star Wars.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #42
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They're great movies and I rewatch them every couple of years. I'm surprised, nearly everyone who likes action/sci-fi loves Star Wars.
Liking one genre doesn't mean liking every piece of work of said genre. Also, "action" is a very broad genre. It's basically used for anything with fighting in it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

And these are movies that are incredibly popular and spawned a huge franchise that went on for 40 years. I can understand not liking the prequels or the newer movies, but the originals are classic.

They're good and fun action, campy fun, with likeable characters and good villains.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #44
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
And these are movies that are incredibly popular and spawned a huge franchise that went on for 40 years. I can understand not liking the prequels or the newer movies, but the originals are classic.

They're good and fun action, campy fun, with likeable characters and good villains.
It's not that I don't like them. I just don't particularly care about them nowadays. I didn't bother watching Episode 7 either.

I've watched the original trilogy more than once back in the day but haven't watched a SW movie in over a decade by now, I think.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #45
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Good for them but I'm not "people". I'm just an individual. And not every single individual on Earth feels the same way regarding a particular movie franchise.
That's very fair. I like Spider-Man 3 a lot and thought the X-Men movies Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine were okay, despite all three not being held in high esteem by the people in general.

Conversely, Gone With the Wind is considered one of the greatest movies of all time, and I find that one to be very awful.

Quote:
There's always variations in tastes. For example, some people like the prequels, others don't.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #46
Prowler
Emperor

A movie well liked by many is Lost in Translation... but I just found it boring, honestly.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

If you haven't watched the Star Wars movies since you were a kid how do you know you still feel the same way about them? Those are movies you appreciate far more as an adult.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #48
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
If you haven't watched the Star Wars movies since you were a kid how do you know you still feel the same way about them? Those are movies you appreciate far more as an adult.
I liked them for what they were but never really loved them as opposed to loving The Lord of the Rings or even Space Jam and the first Toy Story film.

I just have never felt like watching them again ever. No reason in particular.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's not many other action movies that hold up as well, especially considering they're like 40 years old now.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #50
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
There's not many other action movies that hold up as well, especially considering they're like 40 years old now.
Yeah, I get it already.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm just sayin, they're fun movies.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #52
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Good for them but I'm not "people". I'm just an individual. And not every single individual on Earth feels the same way regarding a particular movie franchise.
Agreed. I liked watching the Alien, Die Hard and Predator franchises when I was younger, but I watched them for the first time in years recently and I didn't think much of them, to be honest. They weren't as good as I remembered them.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #53
kaptainmyke
Hench Mutant

I looked up Quentin Tarantino's Film Festival he used to run for a few years...this helps him to "educate" people where/what his "influences and inspirations" stem from and suggests other great films of the craft....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quenti..._Film_Festival

and then,
I bought the 42nd Street Forever blu ray

My movie collection grew substantially and there is some realllllly good gems in there.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #54
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Star Wars. Heh.

Liked it as a kid, rewatched the original trilogy a couple of years ago and could barely get through it. Ugh.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

What do you mean you could barely get through it? I'm kinda wondering what exactly it is you're complaining about.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
What do you mean you could barely get through it? I'm kinda wondering what exactly it is you're complaining about.
I mean I hated them. Luke, Leia, the droids... couldn't stand those characters. Han and Chewie were great, Vader was great... and let's not even discuss the Return of the Jedi. Stormtroopers should have massacred the Ewoks. Ewok Genocide should've been a thing.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

You hate Luke and Leia, really? What is there to hate about them? Luke is the typical hero who starts off a bit bland but then becomes endearing and has a bit of a temper and works to save his friends.

Leia was a feminist role model, especially when you realize the first movie came out in '78 and she wasn't just a damsel in distress but could also hold her own and fought with Luke/Han. She also has some very funny lines.

I mean what do you want out of characters then? And C-3P0 is just the typical comic relief character.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #58
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
You hate Luke and Leia, really? What is there to hate about them? Luke is the typical hero who starts off a bit bland but then becomes endearing and has a bit of a temper and works to save his friends.

Leia was a feminist role model, especially when you realize the first movie came out in '78 and she wasn't just a damsel in distress but could also hold her own and fought with Luke/Han. She also has some very funny lines.

I mean what do you want out of characters then? And C-3P0 is just the typical comic relief character.
Strokes for folks, man.

I don't remember specifics... I just remember not liking them. But I'm gonna disagree that Leia wasn't a damsel in distress. She never got much to sink her teeth into...

A damsel in distress with teeth, but quite often, a damsel in distress. Also, nerdtastic golden bikini.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #59
ToTheNines
[sic]

It's not often that I agree with cubed, but yeah... people who don't like Star Wars weird me out.

But I'm not gonna make 18 consecutive posts about it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Stormtroopers should have massacred the Ewoks. Ewok Genocide should've been a thing.
Well, Ewoks/Endor should have been Wookies/Kashyyyk. Problem solved. Thanks George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
A damsel in distress with teeth, but quite often, a damsel in distress. Also, nerdtastic golden bikini.
People always harp on the metal bikini. It wasn't even 5 minutes of screen time. That pales in comparison to her practical garb in every other scene.

Plus she'd been enslaved by a space slug. Who she asphyxiated with the very chains he bound her with. Then they blew him up. That's badass.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #60
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It's not often that I agree with cubed, but yeah... people who don't like Star Wars weird me out.

But I'm not gonna make 18 consecutive posts about it either.

Well, Ewoks/Endor should have been Wookies/Kashyyyk. Problem solved. Thanks George.

People always harp on the metal bikini. It wasn't even 5 minutes of screen time. That pales in comparison to her practical garb in every other scene.

Plus she'd been enslaved by a space slug. Who she asphyxiated with the very chains he bound her with. Then they blew him up. That's badass.
Yeah, Wookies would've been awesome. I like the idea of Star Wars, I just don't care for how parts of the original trilogy were executed. It's fine, it's just not great.

I think the Expanded Universe novels probably does Star Wars best, but that's an assumption on my part; being able to build off the foundation of Wars and go crazy with it.

So I respect the franchise, and my kids WILL watch the trilogy, but I don't enjoy it.

And the bikini stuff makes sense, just like you said; I just wanted to see what Cubed had to say about it.

Tags
cubedbeatsadeadhorse, cubedlearnsaboutgoogle, cubedlearnsaboutimdb, thefifthelementrules