The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It would take a whole lot of setup. Like, one Green Lantern movie to establish everything, then there'd need to be a Superman movie where the Coast City stuff happens, then another Green Lantern movie where Hal deals with that aftermath of that, becomes Parallax, etc.. Would never happen with the current minds.

Though Hal becoming Parallax almost did. The first drafts of the 2011 movie all had Hal becoming superpowered by entering the Central Power Battery at the end, and then noticing the temples of his hair turned white at the end (white temples was retroactively a sign of possession by Parallax). You can guess who nixed that.
Aw man, too bad. Geoff Johns strikes again, I assume?

So, Andrew... who do you fault for the Green Lantern movie's problems? When I saw it, it wasn't terrible... not great, but definitely on par with some of the average MCU movies.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So, Andrew... who do you fault for the Green Lantern movie's problems? When I saw it, it wasn't terrible... not great, but definitely on par with some of the average MCU movies.
First of all, I didn't hugely dislike the movie. I mostly take umbrage as a Kyle fan that they literally gave Hal Kyle's whole personality while simultaneously doing both Krona AND Parallax ridiculously wrong.

Here is Krona:

And here is Parallax:

But they give us a midget (which Geoff made sure and retcon to emulate in the comics at the same time) and a space cloud. And then they merged them together in the first five minutes, lol

OK, but beyond that, not a bad movie. Sinestro was perfect. Kilowog was perfect. Oa was great. Hector Hammond was pretty solid. GL costumes were fine by me. The way the powers looked seemed sound.

So yeah. Not a great movie but hardly deserving anywhere near the level of hate it got. At some point it just became trendy to hate on it, like, "I hope this movie isn't as bad as the Green Lantern movie! LOL!!!" A second film could have adequately course corrected things and even dovetailed nicely with "Man of Steel."

I generally don't assign Geoff much fault in this, though the finger can definitely be pointed at him as he had full veto power and was on set everyday. Mostly it seemed like a movie with an engine of people that didn't understand Green Lantern, and Geoff on the outside mostly trying to do what little he could at that point to sort of guide the ship correctly... while shoveling his own sh**.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So who was the main guy or guys behind the Green Lantern comics before Geoff Johns became involved?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So who was the main guy or guys behind the Green Lantern comics before Geoff Johns became involved?
Judd Winick had a big run on Green Lantern before Geoff seeped in. Ben Raab for a little bit. Ron Marz before that.

In the heyday of Green Lantern, it was guys like Gil Kane, Dennis O'Neil, Len Wein, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Paul Kupperberg, Gerard Jones.

But it wasn't like it is now. There is never like, one writer who rules over GL. You'd get a writer with a respectable 2, 3 year-run overseen by an editor, and that's that. Now it's like... Geoff Johns overseeing everything, writers afraid to even speak his name in any way but overly complimentarily.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Avenger
Thug

Quote:
First of all, I didn't hugely dislike the movie. I mostly take umbrage as a Kyle fan that they literally gave Hal Kyle's whole personality while simultaneously doing both Krona AND Parallax ridiculously wrong.

Here is Krona:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...KronaJLAZ2.png

And here is Parallax:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ax_rebirth.jpg

But they give us a midget (which Geoff made sure and retcon to emulate in the comics at the same time) and a space cloud. And then they merged them together in the first five minutes, lol

OK, but beyond that, not a bad movie. Sinestro was perfect. Kilowog was perfect. Oa was great. Hector Hammond was pretty solid. GL costumes were fine by me. The way the powers looked seemed sound.

So yeah. Not a great movie but hardly deserving anywhere near the level of hate it got. At some point it just became trendy to hate on it, like, "I hope this movie isn't as bad as the Green Lantern movie! LOL!!!" A second film could have adequately course corrected things and even dovetailed nicely with "Man of Steel."

I generally don't assign Geoff much fault in this, though the finger can definitely be pointed at him as he had full veto power and was on set everyday. Mostly it seemed like a movie with an engine of people that didn't understand Green Lantern, and Geoff on the outside mostly trying to do what little he could at that point to sort of guide the ship correctly... while shoveling his own sh**.
He seems to be the new writer for the next GLC movie. It should be about an experienced Hal Jordan and a rookie John Stewart.

I would like the movie to be about the Green Lantern CORP. It would be fun to let a good place to Salaak, Kilowog, Gardner, Rayner, Sinestro. Hal Jordan in a good character but not THAT interesting. I never got why he's always the center of everything in GL. I do not hate him, but I like to see GL as a team title, and not just "Hal Jordan and his sidekicks".
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What I always wanted to know is why did editorial think it was a good idea for Hal Jordan to lose the city he protects and thus turn into a mass murdering psycho trying to make emerald constructs of everything and everyone in the city? It does not seem like something Hal would do parallax or not. This cannot be a simple sales gimmick.

Also, I recently uncovered that Hal Jordan protected Evergreen City for a couple of years in the late 60s'. Did Hal just get a new job in a new city and Green Lantern conveniently relocated with Hal? This however, I can see being a sales gimmick.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What I always wanted to know is why did editorial think it was a good idea for Hal Jordan to lose the city he protects and thus turn into a mass murdering psycho trying to make emerald constructs of everything and everyone in the city? It does not seem like something Hal would do parallax or not. This cannot be a simple sales gimmick.
Well, this is the 90's we're talking about. Almost everything back then had to be X-TREME!!!

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Nobody cared about Green Lantern before that story. It was about to be cancelled again when they did that story.

Quote:
Also, I recently uncovered that Hal Jordan protected Evergreen City for a couple of years in the late 60s'. Did Hal just get a new job in a new city and Green Lantern conveniently relocated with Hal? This however, I can see being a sales gimmick.
Hal Jordan got a lot of horrible jobs. Truck driver, salesman, etc.. There really weren't many "sales gimmicks" in the 60s, that was just the kind of stories there were.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Nobody cared about Green Lantern before that story. It was about to be cancelled again when they did that story.
Its hard to believe. I always saw Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash as the secondary trinity. Granted Aquaman's limitations keep him from having a solid ongoing title, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen did. At least, I never thought Hal would be hurting in sales so much as unpopular as a character just stale directions. It's just a Superman villain blows up Green Lantern's home and he becomes a mass murderer killing Green Lanterns and Guardians? Its just too much. Not much respect for a JLA founder who had been a big part of the comic line for 35 years. So 90s extreme, no respect for characters, temporary sales peak is the answer to the Emerald Twilight debacle? Its all fixed now, its just the 1994 event seems drastic. Perhaps as soon as this happened people wanted Hal Jordan back and lead to the revival a decade later?

Quote:
Hal Jordan got a lot of horrible jobs. Truck driver, salesman, etc.. There really weren't many "sales gimmicks" in the 60s, that was just the kind of stories there were.
Yes, a lot of fans think he was always a test pilot for Ferris Air, but from around 1968 to 1980 that was not the case. The whole GA/GL do America was made possible due to Hal's truck driver occupation. I can see it as a way to freshen up the character, but like the general public or casual fans know Hal is tied to Ferris air. A lot of obscure stuff like Itty the alien starfish friend of Hal. I have read some of the comics from 1979-1981 and its a pretty solid run, earth-based enemies like Sonar, Evil Star, and Shark all plague Hal while at Ferris and rekindling a relationship with Carol after a brief romance with a gypsy.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
Avenger
Thug

Quote:
Its hard to believe. I always saw Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash as the secondary trinity. Granted Aquaman's limitations keep him from having a solid ongoing title, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen did. At least, I never thought Hal would be hurting in sales so much as unpopular as a character just stale directions. It's just a Superman villain blows up Green Lantern's home and he becomes a mass murderer killing Green Lanterns and Guardians? Its just too much. Not much respect for a JLA founder who had been a big part of the comic line for 35 years. So 90s extreme, no respect for characters, temporary sales peak is the answer to the Emerald Twilight debacle? Its all fixed now, its just the 1994 event seems drastic. Perhaps as soon as this happened people wanted Hal Jordan back and lead to the revival a decade later?

Yes, a lot of fans think he was always a test pilot for Ferris Air, but from around 1968 to 1980 that was not the case. The whole GA/GL do America was made possible due to Hal's truck driver occupation. I can see it as a way to freshen up the character, but like the general public or casual fans know Hal is tied to Ferris air. A lot of obscure stuff like Itty the alien starfish friend of Hal. I have read some of the comics from 1979-1981 and its a pretty solid run, earth-based enemies like Sonar, Evil Star, and Shark all plague Hal while at Ferris and rekindling a relationship with Carol after a brief romance with a gypsy.
What is your opinion about the silver age era GL? I know it contains the first Hal Jordan's adventures. There are very tempting omnibus on Amazon but I don't know if this is good on a storyline point of view, or only for a collection point of view.

I own the GL/GA run. Is this comparable or did GL improve with time?
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It's just a Superman villain blows up Green Lantern's home and he becomes a mass murderer killing Green Lanterns and Guardians?
Number of Green Lanterns Hal killed? 1. Kilowog, and he was brought back quickly.

Number of Guardians Hal killed? 0. They killed themselves.

So a grand total death toll of 1. Hardly a "mass murderer." And even Kilowog, he gave him fair warning to get out of his way.

Quote:
Its just too much. Not much respect for a JLA founder who had been a big part of the comic line for 35 years. So 90s extreme, no respect for characters, temporary sales peak is the answer to the Emerald Twilight debacle? Its all fixed now, its just the 1994 event seems drastic. Perhaps as soon as this happened people wanted Hal Jordan back and lead to the revival a decade later?
"Fixed"? Nobody cares about Hal Jordan unless they do some gimmick with him. There's a reason his latest comic (literally called "Hal Jordan") has just been cancelled.

Parallax was the best thing to ever happen to him. I would have happily read a Parallax ongoing.

Tags
green lantern