The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #241
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Wait, White Khan created the USS Vengeance? I must've missed that gem of idiocy inbetween "John Harrison" and "magic blood."
It's totally there, that's like the main reason given for why they woke Khan up. So that he could design the USS Vengeance and "other weapons" for Starfleet.

And Khan, what an assh***. In the "Prime" timeline all he had to do was give his wife some of his magic blood on Ceti Alpha V and she'd still be alive. Who knew?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #242
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
The actress playing the captain is also horrible. either she can't act, or was so bored by the time she got to the bridge scenes that she stopped trying. it's like she had trouble getting words out too....just like the lead klingon who sounded like a mouth full of marbles....
Did you just say Michelle Yeoh can't act? LOL, she's one of the most talented Asian actress of our time. Go watch her in the third Jackie Chan police story movie, "Supercop" and tell me she can't act. Back in her heydey when she was young she was also an excellent martial artist and stunt person, basically a female Jackie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #243
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
The actress playing the captain is also horrible. either she can't act, or was so bored by the time she got to the bridge scenes that she stopped trying. it's like she had trouble getting words out too....just like the lead klingon who sounded like a mouth full of marbles...

I'd like to see REAL numbers on how many people signed up for all access based on that. Social Justice Warriors in the past have proven to stop caring the moment something comes to screen and move on to the next thing. they rarely stay around and support what they are so angry about.
Dude, you're out of your mind. Michelle Yeoh is great. I mean, the acting so far hasn't been bad... even the lady doing Michael Burnham is doing fine, it's just that the character is written to be unlikeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's totally there, that's like the main reason given for why they woke Khan up. So that he could design the USS Vengeance and "other weapons" for Starfleet.

And Khan, what an assh***. In the "Prime" timeline all he had to do was give his wife some of his magic blood on Ceti Alpha V and she'd still be alive. Who knew?
Great, so instead of being an out-of-time superior human and genocidal global dictator, Khan was a technical genius? That's idiotic.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #244
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Thinking it over, I'm tentatively on board for Discovery, though it might not hold up very well against all the other shows (at least it's better than the JJ Abrams movies). I'll give them this whole season at least, because the redemption story arc could be quite good.

I can stomach terrible Klingon designs for a season... IF the story turns out good.

But I'm not paying for CBS All Access. Not gonna happen. Make it available on Netflix US, instead of every other Netflix option EXCEPT the US...
Old 10-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #245
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

But I'm not paying for CBS All Access. Not gonna happen. Make it available on Netflix US, instead of every other Netflix option EXCEPT the US...
Yeah, exactly.
This is just not going to happen.
And I have to admit, I feel bad for the production that TPTB aren't giving me enough incentive to watch their show in a timely fashion.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #246
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is it worth mentioning that the latest episode had Warp-capable shuttles? And replicators?

And I'm a little bit confused on the things/microbes/whatever penetrating the hull of the shuttle so bad that the shuttle pilot had to go EVA outside... first of all, if it's IN Warp, there is a Warp field AROUND the shuttle that acts as a barrier.

Second... wouldn't the shuttle have shields up? How are those things getting in? And it can't be that "it wouldn't work on them," because we see them being held IN when Michael is inside the security field later in the episode.

Another thing... everyone hated that in Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness, in addition to magic blood that can bring back the dead, JJ put transporter technology that can transport people anywhere in the universe. Right? Now guess what the Discovery's mission is: transporter technology that can transport people anywhere in the universe.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #247
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Not sure what I think of Discovery. Not very ensemble compared to other Treks. Really digging the Orville though.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #248
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Watched Episode 3 tonight. I think I'm fully on board with Discovery now.

A Section 31 conspiracy and a redemptive character arc? I like both these things.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #249
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I really hope this season represents the entire series and then they can come back to the table with a real Trek show. We can then compartmentalize "Discovery" as a take-it-or-leave-it one-off "edgy/black ops mini that was probably in the Abramsverse anyway."

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-04-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #250
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

After four episodes (so far) of The Orville, I'm hooked. With this, however, I just can't bring myself to subscribe to All Access...it's not like I'd watch any other CBS programming, and I already own the Trek shows I like on Blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #251
Vegita-San
Emperor

i wonder how full the nycc panel is.

-edit it looks like mundane matt and red letter media are praising STD? how is this possible when they so rightly thrashed feigbusters?

Last edited by Vegita-San; 10-07-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #252
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
i wonder how full the nycc panel is.

-edit it looks like mundane matt and red letter media are praising STD? how is this possible when they so rightly thrashed feigbusters?
Because Star Trek Discovery isn't Ghost busters 2016 and should be judged on its own merit.

That said I'm still not sure what I think of this series. I don't like the lead, and she's the only character we see anything through, aside from the Klingons...and they aren't that compelling either. Also, there's a plot point in last night's episode that has me scratching my head.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #253
Vegita-San
Emperor

It may not be, but without getting too into banned topics..

all the ingredients that made feigbusters what it was, as far as development hell are concerned, are here on display in star trek discovery. It's basically the same MO, only with star trek attached.

and now that I think about it, maybe that is why people are willing to give it more of a chance? because star trek is more of a beloved brand? and people are starved for REAL star trek? I don't know..

that's the only thing I can think up. I just don't see any indication that this team knows what it's doing, or knows star trek at all.

If this thing where on TV, MAYBE I'd give it a few episodes just to see where it was trying to go. but not on a pay service.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #254
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

For those who have seen it, is it worth subscribing to the service or is it something that's better to see on Blu-ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #255
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Lemme put it to you this way...

A lot of people are sailing with Jack Sparrow to watch this.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #256
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
It may not be, but without getting too into banned topics..

all the ingredients that made feigbusters what it was, as far as development hell are concerned, are here on display in star trek discovery. It's basically the same MO, only with star trek attached.

and now that I think about it, maybe that is why people are willing to give it more of a chance? because star trek is more of a beloved brand? and people are starved for REAL star trek? I don't know..

that's the only thing I can think up. I just don't see any indication that this team knows what it's doing, or knows star trek at all.

If this thing where on TV, MAYBE I'd give it a few episodes just to see where it was trying to go. but not on a pay service.
I could see Star Trek getting more leway for the reasons you mentioned. It's development and "marketing" do seem to be taking a cue from the Ghostbusters dibacle, and that's unfortunate.

And what ARRRR you implying, CKDOM?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #257
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm on the fourth episode, and it's starting to pick up its stride.
But it doesn't feel like Star Trek to me. More like Star TreX-files.

Still have no interest in paying for CBS, so I'll gave to wait until I can visit friends who've bitten the bullet.

Or do is another friend of mine is going to, and wait until the season is over and then buy a 1-month pass and binge it.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #258
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I could see Star Trek getting more leway for the reasons you mentioned. It's development and "marketing" do seem to be taking a cue from the Ghostbusters dibacle, and that's unfortunate.

And what ARRRR you implying, CKDOM?

That I like to watch CBS All Access while drinking rum?

Surely that is the only logical and reasonable interpretation.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #259
Vegita-San
Emperor

https://t.co/8xto0IS2bb

how the hell did this happen?

must hope to recoup loss on blu ray sales.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #260
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Netflix buying the international rights is why it happened. CBS is probably recouping most of their money from that alone.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote