The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #681
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hollyweed
Posts: 2,874
Back at Power-Con 2013 (between seasons 1 and 2), Ciro stated that he wanted five seasons. However, if he wasn't given five, he could tell the story he wanted to tell in three seasons.

The show ending after the fifth season has nothing to do with Nickelodeon trying to push their current TMNT show to the side. They've known that this day was gonna come for a very long time and have been preparing for it. Why do you think they had those largely humor-based 2D TMNT shorts last year? Sure, it was fun, but they were testing the waters for what direction to take the property after Ciro and Brandon's take comes to a close.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:14 AM   #682
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,677
Yeah see, due to statements like "I want five seasons but I could totally finish it in three", I kinda doubt he himself wanted five seasons. Judging from how the story actually played out and reading between the lines, it sounds more like "The studio told me three seasons to start with but I could totally stretch that out to five if they wanted me to".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; Today at 01:58 AM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:41 AM   #683
FredWolfLeonardo
Stone Warrior
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah see, statements like "I want five seasons but I could totally finish it in three" I kinda doubt he himself wanted five seasons. Judging from how the story actually played out and reading between the lines, it sounds more like "The studio told me three seasons to start with but I could totally stretch that out to five if they wanted me to".
It could very well be that the space arc and season 5 were ideas thought out after Ciro planned out the main story. When you look at the overall story of the Nick show, you could fit it into three seasons pretty comfortably.

Season 1: Introduction to the turtles, Splinter, April, The Foot Clan, Kraang and so on. Ends with the big showdown between Shredder/Splinter revealing Karai's backstory and the turtles thwarting the Kraang invasion.

Season 2: Turtles fight the foot clan/Karai after the Kraang's failed invasion attempt but later on discover that the Kraang are still active within New York. They eventually score against Shredder by getting Karai on their side until she gets mutated. Ends with the Kraang invasion and forces the turtles, April and Casey to retreat to the farmhouse.

Season 3: After spending some time at the farmhouse, the turtles, April and Casey come back and successfully defeat the Kraang with the help of the Mutanimals, forcing them all back into Dimension X and making earth safe once again. However, the Shredder is still loose and tries to get Karai back via mind control which fails and ultimately ends with Karai de-mutating and joining the turtles. After failing, the Shredder goes into a full rage mode and leads the final battle against the turtles. Ends with the Shredder killing Splinter, and Leonardo then killing Shredder and our heroes defeating the remaining henchmen for good.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; Today at 01:46 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #684
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 29,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah see, statements like "I want five seasons but I could totally finish it in three" I kinda doubt he himself wanted five seasons. Judging from how the story actually played out and reading between the lines, it sounds more like "The studio told me three seasons to start with but I could totally stretch that out to five if they wanted me to".
Nick didn't spend $60 million to kill the show in only 3 seasons. They likely wanted it to last a long time. 5 seasons is fine, but it probably would have went on for 7 if the movies didn't bomb. People easily forget how much everything is connected, from the movies to the toyline to the ratings, etc.

Pretty much only IDW's sales are separate from this since they license the IP out to them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:59 AM   #685
FredWolfLeonardo
Stone Warrior
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nick didn't spend $60 million to kill the show in only 3 seasons. They likely wanted it to last a long time. 5 seasons is fine, but it probably would have went on for 7 if the movies didn't bomb. People easily forget how much everything is connected, from the movies to the toyline to the ratings, etc.

Pretty much only IDW's sales are separate from this since they license the IP out to them.
To me it sounds like the initial plan was five seasons but they could change it to three if the show wasn't doing well. The only bit which would've been changed would be the second half of season three to be the final showdown between the turtles and the foot.

7 seasons sounds a bit too much to me, especially considering the previous two animated shows had lost quite a bit of their popularity by that time. Instead of taking the risk a third time by continuing the show, it makes more sense for them to plan five seasons and then a reboot to try and keep the franchise fresh and profitable.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; Today at 02:06 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:13 AM   #686
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nick didn't spend $60 million to kill the show in only 3 seasons. They likely wanted it to last a long time. 5 seasons is fine, but it probably would have went on for 7 if the movies didn't bomb. People easily forget how much everything is connected, from the movies to the toyline to the ratings, etc.

Pretty much only IDW's sales are separate from this since they license the IP out to them.
Uh, how exactly would the movies play into the show getting two more seasons? They're making another TMNT show as we speak and it's not like this show was a tie-in to the movies, they're perfectly fine with making more TMNT, just not more of this version of TMNT. The closest I can think of is that it might have been made to create hype for the turtles amongst kids, making them more likely to want to watch the movies but it's not clearly connected to the movies in any other way.

I mean if the show looked like this you might have had a point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 AM   #687
FredWolfLeonardo
Stone Warrior
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Kudos to whoever made those designs, I really like them and think they're perfect!

Even the nostrils I don't mind in this picture, it makes them look more turtle-like without going into the realm of hulk and shrek.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #688
Vegita-San
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I get the feeling that a new show was planned from early on since Ciro said that he wanted to tell his story in 5 seasons which sounds just enough to prevent it from going stale while at the same time it would allow Nick to extend this generation of tmnt beyond the Nick show and profit off the brand even more.

Maybe the people at Nick looked at the decreasing popularity trend of the 2 previous animated shows around the 5th season and concluded that they shouldn't stretch out their show for too long, especially in this Internet age of always having new stuff and getting It fast.
or they saw the dropping ratings.

i wonder how the toy sales are doing too.
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #689
myconius
Abby Normal
 
myconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Posts: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I really wish Marvel had bought tmnt. I still hope for that someday.
so they could ruin the Tmnt the same way they do their own characters?
__________________
Kyūzō


http://myconius.deviantart.com/
myconius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #690
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 29,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Uh, how exactly would the movies play into the show getting two more seasons? They're making another TMNT show as we speak and it's not like this show was a tie-in to the movies, they're perfectly fine with making more TMNT, just not more of this version of TMNT. The closest I can think of is that it might have been made to create hype for the turtles amongst kids, making them more likely to want to watch the movies but it's not clearly connected to the movies in any other way.
The movies were also largely aimed at kids watching the Nick cartoon. All movies that come out during a popular cartoon show expect some carry over from fans of both to watch. It doesn't matter how different the movie turtles look from the cartoon, it's the same way the original 90's live action movies were also aimed at kids watching the cartoon to follow despite how different the movies were (no Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady, no robot Foot, etc).

Why do you think the box office sales of movies 1 and 2 were so high? They were that high because all the kids who watched the cartoon in the 90's begged their parents to go take them to see the movies. Also the 4kids series was kept running largely because they knew about the 2007 movie and the possibility of it getting a sequel, only when they realized it wasn't getting one they realized it was time for the 4kids run to end. The last episode of BTTS aired in 2009...two years after the movie.

The movies bombing in theaters along with the Nick cartoon's declining ratings (which is mostly Nick's fault for not scheduling new episodes properly then anything probably), is why they're going for a fresh new reboot relaunch in 2018.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #691
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
so they could ruin the Tmnt the same way they do their own characters?
I guess it's not the best time to wish for Marve to acquire tmnt. I'd agree with anyone saying their comic division is a mess right now.

That said, I still think it leads to a better longterm outcome than Viacom owning TMNT (Who, to be fair, have done some great work). Eventually, the Marvel comics will get back on track.

And it would still imply a much better movie than the Platinum Dunes one. Marvel Film Studio's is pretty focused on adapting the original comic story lines. Now imagine that for TMNT.

As for the cartoons, I really couldn't care much less whether they would improve or decline under Marvel. Prob the latter, but it's an acceptable loss.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #692
Vegita-San
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
so they could ruin the Tmnt the same way they do their own characters?
their comics division, from what i heard, is a social justice warrior mess.

they'd probably make shredder chinese so as not to offend china with japanese images....and a 50 year old white woman ;o).


exaggerating of course, but not by much based on what i've seen of the female thor comic and some of the lines they have her spout.

a Marvel TMNT MOVIE might have a chance at being good though.
their movie division seems to know what sells.
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #693
myconius
Abby Normal
 
myconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Posts: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I guess it's not the best time to wish for Marve to acquire tmnt. I'd agree with anyone saying their comic division is a mess right now.

That said, I still think it leads to a better longterm outcome than Viacom owning TMNT (Who, to be fair, have done some great work). Eventually, the Marvel comics will get back on track.

And it would still imply a much better movie than the Platinum Dunes one. Marvel Film Studio's is pretty focused on adapting the original comic story lines. Now imagine that for TMNT.

As for the cartoons, I really couldn't care much less whether they would improve or decline under Marvel. Prob the latter, but it's an acceptable loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
their comics division, from what i heard, is a social justice warrior mess.

they'd probably make shredder chinese so as not to offend china with japanese images....and a 50 year old white woman ;o).


exaggerating of course, but not by much based on what i've seen of the female thor comic and some of the lines they have her spout.

a Marvel TMNT MOVIE might have a chance at being good though.
their movie division seems to know what sells.
it honestly is a shame what's become of Marvel Comics.
there was a time about 90% of my pull-list were all Marvel titles.
eventually the endless cross-overs made minced meat of my wallet and drove me away.

i tried coming back with the re-launching Amazing Spider-Man.
but after 6 issues the title started a massive cross-over, and once again i hit the bricks.
and now with the constant character retconning it's just become a joke.

DC isn't much better.
every title i was reading from them had a slew of cross-overs and tie-ins.
eventually i got sick of it and dropped them too.

thankfully IDW for the most part has been actually focused on good quality story-telling.
it's one of the few comic series i can enjoy re-reading again and again.
__________________
Kyūzō


http://myconius.deviantart.com/
myconius is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.