The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Wonder Woman 3 is dead at warners

Quote:
Multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 is not moving forward and is considered dead in its current incarnation.

Sources say that Jenkins recently submitted her treatment, co-written with Geoff Johns, and that Gunn and Safran, as well as Warner Bros. Pictures co-chairs and co-CEOs Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy, broke the news to the filmmaker, telling her the project — as it stood — did not fit in with the new (but still unfolding) plans. Jenkins directed and co-wrote the previous two movies, starring Gal Gadot and released in 2017 and 2020. No decision has been made about next steps.

And while costs are not a factor — insiders say that DC Studios will not have any overburdensome financial restrictions — the studio could end up saving tens of millions of dollars by not making the third installment. Gadot, according to sources, was on track for a $20 million payday for Wonder Woman 3 while Jenkins would have received $12 million. Those figures don’t include any possible backend bonuses.

Warners had no comment.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235276804/
Old 12-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'd be surprised if they don't still use her Wonder Woman again in another movie, she's too popular to recast at the moment unless they do a full reboot.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
Turo602
The King of Kings

Seems like a non-story. We already knew DC was trying to get their sh*t together. The state it was in was not acceptable without Superman and Batman and now they're refocusing and tweaking everything. Whatever Wonder Woman movie they wanted to make in the old regime obviously clashes with their current plans. Wonder Woman 3 will still probably happen, it just can't be the version that was gonna acknowledge whatever the hell they were doing with The Flash that was gonna erase Batman and Superman.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:34 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Another Wonder Woman movie "someday" is inevitable. As of Today, though, it is not likely either Jenkins OR Gadot will be involved.

As I feared, Black Adam's failure has had a CATASTROPHIC ripple effect across the entire WB/DC slate, if reports are to be believed. So now nothing is certain at all.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:33 PM   #5
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I wonder if part of this has anything to do with WW84's performance. But I'm not surprised by this. I still haven't seen Black Adam but I don't have as much of a desire to see it even if I've watched every DCEU movie in theaters (minus Zack's JL and WW84).

What I'm wondering more is what effect will this have on The Flash and Blue Beetle. More importantly, Henry Cavill's Superman. Synder or not, we could use another Superman movie. It's been almost a decade since Man of Steel.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:07 AM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Well obviously WW84's failure is part of the reason; WB lost like $200 million on it. The opening weekend "We're definitely gonna do WW3!" announcement was clearly and transparently a deflection to try and get some egg off of their face once the awful reviews started coming in. I said then and there, "NO WAY does someone like Jenkins get another swing after losing $200 million of WB's money, this is smoke, they'll wait two years and then cancel it." Sure enough...

Because again, Snyder was nudged out simply because his very profitable DC movies were not profitable ENOUGH for WB's liking. He didn't actually LOSE money for them, and he still got muscled out. Now, WB tried to blame WW84's failure entirely on the pandemic, and sure. But the reviews were terrible either way, so it likely would have flopped theatrically anyway, and Pandemic-Shmandemic, you don't flush $200 million of a studio's money directly down the sh*tter and keep your job. Not if all things are functioning as they should.

Flash will be coming out anyway due to sunk cost; they can't afford NOT to release it, even if it flops it'll recoup some of the $300 million they already spent on it. It definitely won't hit the $900 million it needs to be truly profitable, though, if a DC movie starring The Rock only drew about $400 mil then there's no chance at all a Keaton cameo manages to double that for Flash. It'll do 4 or 5, about the same as Black Adam, I figure. But it won't matter as the upcoming reboot will render it a dead duck of a movie.

They literally just announced Blue Beetle, so reboot or not you can bet it will be coming out.

They don't have anything on-deck for Cavill because WB wanted to wait to see how Black Adam did before committing to any DC stuff. They "allegedly" leaked his cameo to drum up ticket sales, but it didn't work. Since the movie failed, WB is allegedly taking that as a sign that he's not a draw and not worth bringing back. All the "Welcome Back!" stuff was smoke and mirrors; he was never "back" past the one cameo, and now he's out... again.

We won't see any Superman movie for at least two years, probably longer if they do in fact reboot because now they gotta cast the guy again and that is forever a huge problem for them. They got lucky twice in a row with Routh and Cavill, after a decade of searching, but they wasted both of them. Now they're gonna start over as if they haven't already been down this road a hundred times; "Whattya MEAN nobody wants to play Superman?!"

If they HAD to reboot, the smart thing to do would be at LEAST keep Cavill, but if they truly wanna go "scorched earth" then they can't/won't. But it's a mistake.

Old 12-08-2022, 08:17 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

More is coming out. Jenkins actually quit the project after refusing to listen to or acknowledge any notes from the studio. She was invited to turn in another pitch but she obstinately refused, told the execs that they didn't understand characters, and even emailed them a link to the definition of "character arc". When they wouldn't budge, she walked.

Look, WB is a zoo and I'm not saying she's altogether wrong. But she has NO clout to try and pull rank on WB from her position. She's directed THREE movies in her life and the most recent one was a massive bomb. The f*ck does she think she is? The balls on this bitch.

WB wants to keep Gadot but are nervous she won't come back without Jenkins. They are prepared to recast if necessary though.

The same article says that Ta-Nehisi Coates's "Black Superman" project is still very much in development. Oh boy.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:00 PM   #8
IMJ
Emperor

Well.... you know there is also a reality where Patti Jenkins didn't actually do great things for Wonder Woman. You could always go in a variety of directions.

The first movie was praised at the time and there is a lot to like about it. I was more accepting of it too because it was a strong and amazing female lead that felt very organic during a period where everything on film was about "signaling" and so on. And I was very glad to support that 1st Wonder Woman flick as a true representation of a strong female lead without signaling. But Jenkins first Wonder Woman flick could be criticized for being a bit dry in parts, and it drags, and the final confrontation felt like a Mary Sue ending for something like Twilight as opposed to "Wonder Woman".

And then the second movie has few redeeming qualities outside of some of the humor and of course Gal Gadot is amazing. But that's it.

So maybe Jenkins doesn't actually "know" Wonder Woman as well as she thinks. She gets it close, but truthfully her Wonder Woman borders on caricature from an Anne Frank novel.

Wonder Woman in BvS and Justice League? A+ Wonder Woman in her first solo flick..... ehhhh...including the content and whatnot? B+ Wonder Woman 1984? Ehhhhh... oh man. C-?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:07 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Here's the thing nobody wants to admit, despite it being absolutely true: The first Wonder Woman movie being as good as it was? Thank Snyder for that.

Seriously, I'm not even kidding. Both Jenkins and Gal have confirmed multiple times that he was VERY hands-on as a producer on that one, and had a ton of input on story, visuals... everything. The movies starring the JLA members were all supposed to connect, overlap, and parallel each other significantly, so even when they stood alone you could clearly still see how they linked together. Entire scenes from the first WW movie were deliberately structured to revisit scenes from Man of Steel, most notably the scene where Ares "tempts" Diana as Zod tempted Clark, and Diana's rebuff almost word-for-word echoed Clark's "I can't be a part of this..." rebuttal of Zod. That's one of the ones you'd have to be blind not to notice, but there were other more subtle nods as well. Every bit of that was deliberate, by the way; ALL of the movies were supposed to "echo" each other in Big and Small ways.

The biggest change between WW1 and WW84 is obvious: ZERO Snyder input. Other than an out-loud edict from WB to "Make sure we keep it light this time" and Jenkins getting full creative control, nothing else changed significantly. Yet the results were Night and Day between movies. WW was a triumph, WW84 was a train wreck.

Jenkins was never "a visionary"; that was Zack. Jenkins was a diversity hire who was in the right place at the right time, and coasted on the wave of public adoration of the first movie and gladly accepted plenty of credit that was not hers, but Zack's. Zack kept it grounded and tight, merging the fantasy with the verisimilitude. Jenkins took her idea of WW as "a modern-day fairy tale" and exercised that to mean "We can just do whatever, it's a lark", and we see what happened.

A year or so ago, she was bulletproof. No high-profile female director of a "girl power" movie was ever going to be turned down or taken off of a project Then. Things have shifted, and her being a great check in the Diversity Box for WB no longer matters as much as it did when they're bleeding money out the ass with all these DC misfires. She's just One More Headache, now, and they don't want to deal with it.

Good. Set an example. She never actually had sh*t to do with sh*t anyway. The only reason the first movie was as good as it is, is because Snyder held her hand and kept her reigned in. Facts.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Here's the thing nobody wants to admit, despite it being absolutely true: The first Wonder Woman movie being as good as it was? Thank Snyder for that.

Seriously, I'm not even kidding. Both Jenkins and Gal have confirmed multiple times that he was VERY hands-on as a producer on that one, and had a ton of input on story, visuals... everything. The movies starring the JLA members were all supposed to connect, overlap, and parallel each other significantly, so even when they stood alone you could clearly still see how they linked together. Entire scenes from the first WW movie were deliberately structured to revisit scenes from Man of Steel, most notably the scene where Ares "tempts" Diana as Zod tempted Clark, and Diana's rebuff almost word-for-word echoed Clark's "I can't be a part of this..." rebuttal of Zod. That's one of the ones you'd have to be blind not to notice, but there were other more subtle nods as well. Every bit of that was deliberate, by the way; ALL of the movies were supposed to "echo" each other in Big and Small ways.

The biggest change between WW1 and WW84 is obvious: ZERO Snyder input. Other than an out-loud edict from WB to "Make sure we keep it light this time" and Jenkins getting full creative control, nothing else changed significantly. Yet the results were Night and Day between movies. WW was a triumph, WW84 was a train wreck.

Jenkins was never "a visionary"; that was Zack. Jenkins was a diversity hire who was in the right place at the right time, and coasted on the wave of public adoration of the first movie and gladly accepted plenty of credit that was not hers, but Zack's. Zack kept it grounded and tight, merging the fantasy with the verisimilitude. Jenkins took her idea of WW as "a modern-day fairy tale" and exercised that to mean "We can just do whatever, it's a lark", and we see what happened.

A year or so ago, she was bulletproof. No high-profile female director of a "girl power" movie was ever going to be turned down or taken off of a project Then. Things have shifted, and her being a great check in the Diversity Box for WB no longer matters as much as it did when they're bleeding money out the ass with all these DC misfires. She's just One More Headache, now, and they don't want to deal with it.

Good. Set an example. She never actually had sh*t to do with sh*t anyway. The only reason the first movie was as good as it is, is because Snyder held her hand and kept her reigned in. Facts.
This is everything I've seen and read as well. Obviously no confirmation on something like this, but it seems pretty accurate.

Also, I wasn't really tuned in on WW84, but wasn't Jenkins going around the press circuit and talking up how much control she had over WW84 and how she finally got to do things her way, or something? If so, oof.

The social climate is shifting, but WBD is changing too. Zaslav doesn't seem into extremist ideology. Word is he is also clamping down on CNN's rampant misinformation spreading.
I mean, they also say he's a penny-pincher who is known for his success in reality-television. I feel like we got a wild-card with Zaslav but so far I am liking everything I am seeing and hearing from him.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #11
ChosenOne
Banned

This is what wokeness and diversity will get you. Every. Single. Time.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:55 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Everything woke turns to ****.

I really hate to quote that carny clown but he's right.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:00 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The whole thing is such a mud pit. Wonder Woman 3 was never dead, they just didn't like Patty's script and now today it's looking like it may not even be because of that, but because they don't even know what they want to do with Wonder Woman now. But of course there will be a WW3 and of course it'll be with Gal Gadot.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/patty-j...on-1235198467/

Me, I suspect it was a horrid script because Patty isn't a writer and this "We're figuring out what we're doing with the DCEU, everything is in flux right now" gave them a perfect out not to have to tell her that outright about her script. I do like that this also gives another loss for Geoff Johns, who co-wrote it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote