The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #121
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I tried asking Bobby if this is the result of a perceived change of heart from Nickelodeon, but he skipped it, so who knows if it's something he is privy to or willing to share.

Time will tell!
Sorry, not intentional, must have just missed it!

Nickelodeon has never had a problem with this material as far as I know-- they just wanted to make sure it rolled out at an appropriate time in the reprints timeline and, more importantly, wanted to make sure all the legality was above board in regards to the different creators. That's been my understanding, but i've largely been on self-imposed sidelines for this project, so my knowledge could be off.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #122
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
...more importantly, wanted to make sure all the legality was above board in regards to the different creators.
this makes a lot of sense seeing the various Image characters that made guest appearances within some of the issues.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #123
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder if Viacom can ever get the rights to reprint Rick Veitch's Volume 1 stories, like "Sky Highway" and "The River" trilogy. They're among the only Volume 1 stories IDW hasn't reprinted.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #124
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wonder if Viacom can ever get the rights to reprint Rick Veitch's Volume 1 stories, like "Sky Highway" and "The River" trilogy. They're among the only Volume 1 stories IDW hasn't reprinted.
yeah, i've been hoping for a reprint of 'The River' as well.

even though it'll more than likely get colorized, it'd be nice to have a copy printed on nice stock paper.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #125
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
yeah, i've been hoping for a reprint of 'The River' as well.

even though it'll more than likely get colorized, it'd be nice to have a copy printed on nice stock paper.
You can get really nice old Mirage TPBs of "The River" for $50-$60, tops. I got one a few months back, very good condition.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #126
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Veitch won't budge. It's a shame because those are issues I consider iconic moments in Mirage, though I completely understand his standpoint, too.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-22-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #127
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You can get really nice old Mirage TPBs of "The River" for $50-$60, tops. I got one a few months back, very good condition.
can't believe i passed on getting those Mirage TPB volume #6 and #7 since i already had them in single issues.
i bought the Eastman/Laird B&W volumes of #1-4, but passed on the others and now they're CRAZY expensive!

hindsight right?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #128
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Veitch won't budge.
Is there any reason why? It's like 30+ years later, what possible reason could he be against signing over the rights so more people can read his stories?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #129
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Is there any reason why? It's like 30+ years later, what possible reason could he be against signing over the rights so more people can read his stories?
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...t=40219&page=3

Link has discussion. How old is he? I think after he passes that family would be easier to negotiate with. But that’s speculation and sad that it would have to wait until that point.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #130
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...t=40219&page=3

Link has discussion. How old is he? I think after he passes that family would be easier to negotiate with. But that’s speculation and sad that it would have to wait until that point.
aw man! that's COLD!

i'd sooner just read my single issues of the story than wish that on anyone.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #131
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
aw man! that's COLD!

i'd sooner just read my single issues of the story than wish that on anyone.
I hope the guy lives to be 200. I’d just personally want to work on cementing my legacy while I’m around to see it. Not leave it for my kids or whoever to stress about. Not to mention a new generation of fans would have easier access to my work. But I understand it may be more complex than I think.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #132
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

FWIW Rick Veitch is still making and releasing new comics via Amazon's print-on-demand publishing arm.

Oh, and his 1985 series THE ONE is being re-released by IDW with issue #1 out this coming Wednesday - but could anything be wildly speculated from that?

Last edited by wilddiverse; 02-22-2018 at 09:38 PM.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #133
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

If IDW could work out an amicable deal with Dave Sim of all people, I'd hope they could extend a similar courtesy to Veitch. Between The River, Sky Highway and North by Downeast, there's enough TMNT/Veitch material to fill its own trade similar to Michael Zuli's Legends release (though I understand Zuli's was easier to publish since he signed Eastman and Laird's retroactive work-for-hire contracts and Veitch didn't, but Sim never signed that thing either and IDW was able to deal with him).
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #134
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Sorry, not intentional, must have just missed it!

Nickelodeon has never had a problem with this material as far as I know-- they just wanted to make sure it rolled out at an appropriate time in the reprints timeline and, more importantly, wanted to make sure all the legality was above board in regards to the different creators. That's been my understanding, but i've largely been on self-imposed sidelines for this project, so my knowledge could be off.
Thanks! I assumed it was just an off-limits question or you didn’t know, no so worries here. Very interesting. Appreciate it!

Regarding The River - I think this series would look wonderful in color.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #135
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I see back in 2012 he told me, "Nothing can happen until there is an agreement between myself and Nickelodeon." To which I asked, "Have talks broken down or does it seem like an agreement will be made?" To which he said, "Nick refuses to deal."

I don't think it's quite like the Dave Sim thing where Sim was like, "Hey, run #8 all you want, reprint it all you want, #8 can belong to you and you don't need to pay me ANYTHING as long as we understand that Cerebus is my character and will always be my character."

With Rick I think it's more, "Those 3 issues of 'The River' are my issues. Every page, the concepts, the story and new characters, all of it. I want to keep the exclusive rights to these issues and characters in perpetuity... and if you want to reprint them, you need to work out a monetary deal with me."

Which is a very different situation.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #136
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Ah, yeah, that is a big distinction.

Seems like royalties for a couple of trade paperback reprints would be small potatoes to a corporation like Viacom, but their reluctance to deal doesn't surprise me.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #137
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, when the Zulli "Souls of Winter" Hardcover came out, I was sure "The River" would be next.

Veitch's TMNT has a very unique flavor that separates it from the others. It's difficult for me to articulate. Almost a fairytale-like quality.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #138
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yeah, when the Zulli "Souls of Winter" Hardcover came out, I was sure "The River" would be next.

Veitch's TMNT has a very unique flavor that separates it from the others. It's difficult for me to articulate. Almost a fairytale-like quality.
I disagree; for me, it doesn't feel separated at all or even that drastically different in tone. It FEELS like an integral part of Volume 1, and other standout issues treated it as such.

But that's the only thing I disagree with; it's an awesome little set of issues.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #139
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I disagree; for me, it doesn't feel separated at all or even that drastically different in tone. It FEELS like an integral part of Volume 1, and other standout issues treated it as such.
Absolutely. "The River" even was referenced in "Sons of the Silent Age."
Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #140
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's a shame, more people would get to read his work if they're re-printed. I understand he considers them his own stories, but c'mon, he still wrote for the TMNT franchise something he knew he didn't own. All his Vol. 1 issues were pretty good and it's a shame IDW had to skip over them.

The fact that we're now even getting Bodycount and the Image series reprinted by IDW of all things, two series that were extremely violent and I never thought Nick would allow them to reprint, makes the lack of Veitch's work sting even more.

Tags
cferreira, cyborg donatello, image, image tmnt, shredder raphael, urban legends