The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #81
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunk1234 View Post
I was shocked to see Germany eliminated. The defending champions are out
I always though Germany would pass to the next round easily. Brazil was great.
Germany lost most of its players who won the cup back in 2014.
It's mostly a new team now. And not very good at that.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:10 AM   #82
newfan
Mad Scientist

So the knock out starts. Shame Spain and Russia are playing each other, I'd like to have seen both of those teams last a little longer.

Japan will be out next week as they have Belgium, bet Columbia were happy they got us LOL

Last edited by newfan; 06-30-2018 at 01:16 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:04 AM   #83
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

France won in 1998 and was elimiated in the group stage in 2002. Italy won in 2006 and was elimiated in the group stage in 2010. Spain won in 2010 and was elimiated in the group stage in 2014 So it's definately a thing.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:16 AM   #84
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Germany lost most of its players who won the cup back in 2014.
It's mostly a new team now. And not very good at that.
And Neuer seems to be past his prime. Maybe he got an injury recently and that has taken a toll on his quality.

I think Oblak from Slovenia is on his way to becoming the world's number one goal keeper in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
So the knock out starts. Shame Spain and Russia are playing each other, I'd like to have seen both of those teams last a little longer.

Japan will be out next week as they have Belgium, bet Columbia were happy they got us LOL
If I were a betting man I'd put money on Belgium and Colombia, but let's wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
France won in 1998 and was elimiated in the group stage in 2002. Italy won in 2006 and was elimiated in the group stage in 2010. Spain won in 2010 and was elimiated in the group stage in 2014 So it's definately a thing.
Yes. I guess a lot of pressure is put on your shoulders when you win the World Cup. And also it makes players full o themselves. Add injuries and squad changes and players getting older to the mix and that makes matters worse. Because we need to remember that World Cups happen every 4 years. In 4 years a lot of things can change. We gotta keep in mind that national teams are usually generational, because they're not clubs and thus don't go around buying players lol
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #85
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

If I were a betting man I'd put money on Belgium and Colombia, but let's wait and see.
l
Yeah maybe, I was under the impression that Columbia would easier for us than Belgium was at least but I might we wrong LOL

So are there looking to be 4 favourites for the finals at this point?
Old 06-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #86
Vicky82
Emperor

England have never lost to Columbia, so hopefully they will get to the Quarter finals OK. Ospina isn't a great goalkeeper, i'm glad he's leaving Arsenal.

If England do get to the Quarter finals, i'm hoping they will face Switzerland as England's history with Sweden isn't great (2 wins in 30 years).

I think France will beat Argentina but I don't think it will be a good game.

I want Uruguay to beat Portugal but I doubt that's going to happen.

Last edited by Vicky82; 06-30-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:07 AM   #87
newfan
Mad Scientist

I had Portugal down for winning their game, not sure how Paraguay are these days but I remember them not rating very highly at one time.

I didn't see the last Argentina game where they were branded 'dirty' but if they are then I don't want them to win, same for any other team who doesn't play by the rules and deserve the game.

Oh, so we have an okay chance on Tuesday then. I can't see is getting much past the next game if we manage this, actually I'm trying to remember, I think the longest I've seen us stay in is to about there.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #88
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I had Portugal down for winning their game, not sure how Paraguay are these days but I remember them not rating very highly at one time.

I didn't see the last Argentina game where they were branded 'dirty' but if they are then I don't want them to win, same for any other team who doesn't play by the rules and deserve the game.

Oh, so we have an okay chance on Tuesday then. I can't see is getting much past the next game if we manage this, actually I'm trying to remember, I think the longest I've seen us stay in is to about there.
Uruguay, you mean. Not Paraguay. Paraguay aren't in the World Cup. Which means no Larissa Riquelme, sadly
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #89
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Uruguay, you mean. Not Paraguay. Paraguay aren't in the World Cup. Which means no Larissa Riquelme, sadly
LOL, don't know why I typed that because I was thinking of the right team when I did... anyway yes.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #90
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
England's history with Sweden isn't great (2 wins in 30 years).
But since November 2011, England has played better against Sweden again.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #91
Vicky82
Emperor

Good win for France, thought it would be dull game but it was brilliant.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #92
Overlord

Uruguay–Portugal next.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #93
Prowler
Emperor

Argentina almost tied the game at the end. Would have been interesting. France is looking quite strong. If Portugal win today I don't see us knocking out France. That would make it the 4th time we'd get knocked out by France in major tournaments. Why does there always seem to be a super french team in our way? ugh
Old 06-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #94
Overlord

Quote:
Argentina almost tied the game at the end. Would have been interesting. France is looking quite strong. If Portugal win today I don't see us knocking out France. That would make it the 4th time we'd get knocked out by France in major tournaments. Why does there always seem to be a super french team in our way? ugh
But you did it in the final game of the 2016 European Championship.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #95
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
But you did it in the final game of the 2016 European Championship.
And we lost in the semis in Euro 1984 to Platini's France and in Euro 2000 and World Cup 2006 to Zidane's France.

This France is looking pretty strong and is stronger than our team. it's gonna be very complicated in case we pass. And beating Uruguay isn't an easy task either. Not sure we can make it.

2016 was two years ago. Things change.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #96
newfan
Mad Scientist

Agreed on the game just now, at one point I didn't know who would win and then when France were certain to win after really good 2nd half they were almost equalised in that last few minutes.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #97
Overlord

Quote:
2016 was two years ago. Things change.
I don't know how much the squads have changed much since then.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #98
Vicky82
Emperor

Portugal out

Not as good as the last match but had some good goals.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #99
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Portugal out

Not as good as the last match but had some good goals.
You say that as if it's surprising. If you had watched Portugal and Uruguay matches you'd know Uruguay are better than us.

Cavani left unmarked 3 times... 2 of them ended up in goal. This is what i feared. Suarez didn't do much tho.

How ironic how we, the NT known for shooting long balls brainlessly into the box wasnt' able to win the match this time doing that.

Uruguay arent' a super team, and withotu Cavani now, France will knock em out. But they defended well enough and we fell for their game. All they needed was wait for counters to kill us, and that's what they did. So yeah, well deserved.

Fonte, Guedes, Silva, Ricardo, Raphael guerreiro, João Mário... all bad. Ronaldo wasted his batteries against Spain. And his homossexual posing before that FK was embarrassing.

Uruguay were cold and calculating whilee our players lost their minds.

Nelson Semedo and João Cancelo should have been called for the WC...
Old 06-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #100
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
You say that as if it's surprising. If you had watched Portugal and Uruguay matches you'd know Uruguay are better than us.

Cavani left unmarked 3 times... 2 of them ended up in goal. This is what i feared. Suarez didn't do much tho.

How ironic how we, the NT known for shooting long balls brainlessly into the box wasnt' able to win the match this time doing that.

Uruguay arent' a super team, and withotu Cavani now, France will knock em out. But they defended well enough and we fell for their game. All they needed was wait for counters to kill us, and that's what they did. So yeah, well deserved.

Fonte, Guedes, Silva, Ricardo, Raphael guerreiro, João Mário... all bad. Ronaldo wasted his batteries against Spain. And his homossexual posing before that FK was embarrassing.

Uruguay were cold and calculating whilee our players lost their minds.

Nelson Semedo and João Cancelo should have been called for the WC...
I was surprised

I thought Portugal looked better than Uruguay and thought they were going to score in the last minute, so it went to extra time and then penalties. If they did win and with Ronaldo missing next match, France probably would have knocked them out in the Quarter finals.