The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you worried for Walt Disney Studios buying so much of the entertainment industry?
Yes 10 37.04%
No 11 40.74%
I don't care 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #41
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Poster
Are you worried that Walt Disney Studios buys so much of the entertainment industry?
Yes, I am very much worried about it's intended consequences.

Here's what I've previously stated in a similar thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
American media is on the verge of corruption and destruction.

Currently, six media conglomerates own the news we view and listen to (which are, in no particular order, Comcast, 21st Century Fox, The Walt Disney Company, Viacom, AT&T, and CBS Corporation). Altogether, they own at least ninety percent of U.S. media. Resultantly, we have more close-minded biases and less open-minded perspectives.

It's getting scarier. The U.S. media is becoming more untrustworthy by the year. I wonder how long it will take until it all comes crashing down.

If the United States doesn't establish a new system soon, Disney will try to buy all of the remaining franchise properties. Then, eventually, all competition will cease to exist.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #42
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

If Disney can do some great things with the Fox properties, then I am okay with the two companies merging.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
If Disney can do some great things with the Fox properties, then I am okay with the two companies merging.
It's not REALLY a merger. It's more... Fox selling off all the things (i.e., movie and TV franchises it owns) to another party so that they can focus on the things they want to refocus their efforts on (sports, news).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #44
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
When you have a monopoly, you control what the norm is.
Of course they'll keep prices lower, which will make it so other producers of content can't compete.
Thus ensuring that they are the only game in town, and that people who aren't them don't survive in the marketplace.
I’m not sure if you’re just explaining hypothetically or really think Disney is gonna crush everyone else out the marketplace. Everyone else would just adjust to whatever is happening like it has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Dude, that's exactly what people do on their streaming services. You've already seen all your shows, new seasons don't come out for another few months... what the hell, why don't I try THIS show? Better than nothing, right?
Sure we all go through other things to see what else might interest us. I meant we don’t watch stuff simply because it’s in front of us like mindless zombies. We still choose whether or not to stick with something.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #45
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

The idea of Disney having a streaming service makes me a little nauseous. It's too close to the old 'studio owned' theater model that almost killed independent exhibition.

Now they can make the movie, distribute the movie, and give it good reviews on their TV and online media networks. "F U Comic-Con! I hope you like DC Comics because every other IP will be at D23 this year. Now, where are my tax breaks at California?"
Old 08-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
The idea of Disney having a streaming service makes me a little nauseous. It's too close to the old 'studio owned' theater model that almost killed independent exhibition.

Now they can make the movie, distribute the movie, and give it good reviews on their TV and online media networks. "F U Comic-Con! I hope you like DC Comics because every other IP will be at D23 this year. Now, where are my tax breaks at California?"
That was already happening, full-speed ahead even before the Fox acquisition of assets.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:14 AM   #47
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
If the United States doesn't establish a new system soon
What system? Should the poiticians reject the purchase by law?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #48
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
@sdp, I understand what that’s saying. I would agree with with the weakened market forces one if it was about essential services that impact our daily lives but this is about movies and tv.

It’s purely entertainment plus I don’t see Disney dropping the quality of products or not caring as much just because they own a bunch. They have a huge reputation to keep up.

The same with the price stuff. If they highered prices beyond the norm it would definitely be noticed. It’s not like people would mindlessly watch a movie or show just because it’s there. Nobody does that now.

I don’t get the “scheme” that Disney supposedly has in mind for us. More superhero movies and long running shows? How does that hurt me? I’m still gonna watch whatever I want. If they happen to make/own it that’s fine.
Sometimes it's not obvious or it might seem like it doesn't matter since it' s entertainment and not toilet paper but there's consequences that you might not look at. I'll post two simple examples:
1. Disney makes prices higher and if you want their content you have to pay
2. Disney makes prices lower driving any competition to bankrupcy and you'll only ever be able to watch Disney content.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #49
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Sometimes it's not obvious or it might seem like it doesn't matter since it' s entertainment and not toilet paper but there's consequences that you might not look at. I'll post two simple examples:
1. Disney makes prices higher and if you want their content you have to pay
2. Disney makes prices lower driving any competition to bankrupcy and you'll only ever be able to watch Disney content.
For 1 Disney could do that anyway but it would only really hurt them though. I don’t know why they’d do that in general. 2 sounds more like one of those Mickey Mouse owns you jokes.

Who could go bankrupt? The other major studios? They still have their own franchises and whatever else they do. Also Fox sold by choice.

Plus everyone else would just lower their own prices to match whatever Disney or the market demands. Things adjust all the time.

I don’t know if you’re actually concerned they’ll take over entertainment or just speaking hypothetically.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #50
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
For 1 Disney could do that anyway but it would only really hurt them though. I don’t know why they’d do that in general. 2 sounds more like one of those Mickey Mouse owns you jokes.

Who could go bankrupt? The other major studios? They still have their own franchises and whatever else they do. Also Fox sold by choice.

Plus everyone else would just lower their own prices to match whatever Disney or the market demands. Things adjust all the time.

I don’t know if you’re actually concerned they’ll take over entertainment or just speaking hypothetically.
They can't hurt them if they own so many things people want, just look at Star Wars fans, they're at the mercy of Disney and while fans might be happy with Marvel right now that doesn't mean things will always be happy at marvel land. Hell you don't want the service but like Marvel? Well you have to get it. I mean there are so many example of what can happen I only posted some simple ones so you can get an idea. So yeah raising prices would not hurt them if there's no legitimate players around, hence laws against monopolies because even if people hate them there's no alternatives.

On the other side if Disney lowers prices Everyone can't lower their own prices to match the big player, this is called dumping and it's illegal but seldom enforced, especially when it's something like entertainment. This makes other palyers go out of business. Things don't adjust overtime, this is why there are antitrust laws and different economic theories. The entertainment industry has big entry barriers so it's not like new players can enter all the time, you're killing new ideas and innovation.

I'm speaking hypothetically for the most part, It's not something "I'm worried" about but I know it'll have real consequences that people are ignoring or not believing will happen when they definitely will. I know most of the internet always complains about "more remakes/reboots/lack of originality" well with one less competitor things are not going to get better, they'll keep getting worse.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 AM   #51
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
They can't hurt them if they own so many things people want, just look at Star Wars fans, they're at the mercy of Disney and while fans might be happy with Marvel right now that doesn't mean things will always be happy at marvel land. Hell you don't want the service but like Marvel? Well you have to get it. I mean there are so many example of what can happen I only posted some simple ones so you can get an idea. So yeah raising prices would not hurt them if there's no legitimate players around, hence laws against monopolies because even if people hate them there's no alternatives.

On the other side if Disney lowers prices Everyone can't lower their own prices to match the big player, this is called dumping and it's illegal but seldom enforced, especially when it's something like entertainment. This makes other palyers go out of business. Things don't adjust overtime, this is why there are antitrust laws and different economic theories. The entertainment industry has big entry barriers so it's not like new players can enter all the time, you're killing new ideas and innovation.

I'm speaking hypothetically for the most part, It's not something "I'm worried" about but I know it'll have real consequences that people are ignoring or not believing will happen when they definitely will. I know most of the internet always complains about "more remakes/reboots/lack of originality" well with one less competitor things are not going to get better, they'll keep getting worse.
Well whether Disney highered or lowered prices in general I doubt it can get that lopsided.

I still think it would only hurt them to higher since it’d be obvious they’re doing just for the sake of it. There would be backlash if they were unfairly the most expensive entertainment company to buy from.

Plus exactly what areas would they try to raise? Ticket sales, home media, merchandise or everything single thing they produce? There’s just no way they could sustain that.

How do things not adjust? I mean the entertainment business adjusts all the time to new trends, demands, popularity etc. Not over night but things end up adapting. Not just entertainment but prices for pretty much everything.

Although sure some things are overpriced. Or at least we make that judgment based on our personal likes but that’s a different subject.

Unless Disney acquired everything like Warner Bros, Viacom, Universal I can not see them disrupting the balance of power. We’re not living in an actual DisneyWorld...yet joking.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #52
neatoman
Emperor

How much of the market does Disney have to control before it's broken up into smaller companies by the FTC?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote