The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #241
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Isn't it kinda equally sad that the TMNT main fanbase are also adults in their 30's? I'm pretty sure we outnumber the children fans the cartoon was meant for.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #242
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Isn't it kinda equally sad that the TMNT main fanbase are also adults in their 30's? I'm pretty sure we outnumber the children fans the cartoon was meant for.
Well the franchise started in the mid-80's, of course all of us original fans are going to be in our late 20's or early 30's.

It's the same thing with people who grew up in the 90's are now in their 20's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #243
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I don't think that's remotely true.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #244
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well the franchise started in the mid-80's, of course all of us original fans are going to be in our late 20's or early 30's.

It's the same thing with people who grew up in the 90's are now in their 20's.
I dont agree at all I think maybe a majority of the hardcore tmnt fan, but that will change with the movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't think that's remotely true.
agreed

by the way Im only 22 and I am by no means the youngest member on here
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #245
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
agreed

by the way Im only 22 and I am by no means the youngest member on here
It's not even about who's "here"... the actual active number of members on this board -- pretty universally agreed as the hub of "active TMNT online TMNT fans willing to go on a message board," yes? -- is under 3,000 members at last glance (go ahead and look at the main page, it keeps an active tally). Even going by pure viewership of the Nicktoon, we're talking about millions and millions of viewers... far and wide, these are little ass kids who haven't even grasped how to play anything other than Angry Birds on a touchscreen pad let alone log onto any kind of internet message boards. And just about every parent I've ever spoken to about my age has a little ass kid who was fanatical about the 4Kids cartoon, without fail... it's strange, actually.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #246
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Quote:
It's not even about who's "here"... the actual active number of members on this board -- pretty universally agreed as the hub of "active TMNT online TMNT fans willing to go on a message board," yes? -- is under 3,000 members at last glance (go ahead and look at the main page, it keeps an active tally). Even going by pure viewership of the Nicktoon, we're talking about millions and millions of viewers... far and wide, these are little ass kids who haven't even grasped how to play anything other than Angry Birds on a touchscreen pad let alone log onto any kind of internet message boards. And just about every parent I've ever spoken to about my age has a little ass kid who was fanatical about the 4Kids cartoon, without fail... it's strange, actually.
Agreed, my kid is 3 1/2 and loves "Anger Birds" and "Ninjer Tutles" and will probably continue to for years to come. That is really who Nick is hoping digs the new show. In addition to that, Nick knows they will always have the casuals who want to buy a shotglass or t-shirt with the OT logo on it from Spencers. There's a pretty reliable revenue stream from nostalgeeks alone. Then, there's us, the hard to please yet still willing to spend ungodly amounts of money on turtles stuff, while simultaneously assuming "we" are the official representatives of all TMNT fans.

All three of these groups are annoying in their own special ways, but in the end all that really matters is that TMNT continue to bring in money and as long as that's the case Nick will probably continue to cater to all of us in some way.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #247
CyberCubed
Overlord

Keep in mind most of the original Mirage fanbase who picked up the first comics in 1984 likely dropped the series around the guest era of Volume 1 and never came back. That and around when the cartoon frenzy started they probably felt they weren't reading an obscure indie comic anymore after it became a licensing kids feast.

The people on this forum were the kids of the 80's and early 90's who grew up with the original toon and then discovered the Mirage comics as we got older. Then we just stuck with the franchise for the rest of our lives.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #248
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Keep in mind most of the original Mirage fanbase who picked up the first comics in 1984 likely dropped the series around the guest era of Volume 1 and never came back. That and around when the cartoon frenzy started they probably felt they weren't reading an obscure indie comic anymore after it became a licensing kids feast.
True. But bottom line, most people of sound mind outgrew the cartoon at some point and never really looked back.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #249
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
True. But bottom line, most people of Sound Mind outgrew the cartoon at some point and never really looked back.
uh-oh looks like we have some future serial killers on the board
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #250
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
The people on this forum were the kids of the 80's and early 90's who grew up with the original toon and then discovered the Mirage comics as we got older.
This is probably shockingly accurate.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #251
CyberCubed
Overlord

From what I've seen there's only like 2-3 people here that said they discovered Mirage first and then the cartoon...of course these people are over 40+ years old though and there aren't many people here that old.

Funnily enough we're starting to get some younger members here who say the 2k3 series was their first TMNT cartoon/experience, and are just now discovering the comics and going back and watching the original toon for the first time.

10 years from now we'll see the current kids watching the Nick cartoon age and come into the fandom, assuming this forum still exists 10 years from now.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #252
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

...and the TMNT fan base will be nearly as disjointed as the Star Trek fanbase.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #253
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by liugeaux View Post
...and the TMNT fan base will be nearly as disjointed as the Star Trek fanbase.
Or the Star Wars fanbase, Batman fanbase, X-men fanbase, etc.

TMNT is now finally old enough to have different generations of fans.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #254
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Or the Star Wars fanbase, Batman fanbase, X-men fanbase, etc.

TMNT is now finally old enough to have different generations of fans.
Truly Awesome.

I know I have zero ownership of the franchise, but sometimes it feels like TMNT are our generations underdog-baby competing and slowly earning their place with the timeless, fictional characters from Marvel and DC.

Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go!
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #255
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, I feel like TMNT is the franchise we grew up with and saw grow with all these established properties looming over it. The great thing is the TMNT franchise started around the time most of us were born....unlike stuff such as Batman/Superman/Spiderman/Star Wars/Star Trek which all started decades before any of us existed.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #256
Heather Breckel
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
I feel like the Bronies and all of that are somewhat similar to Jack Black fans. Where Jack Black is all about empty-headed facial expressions, mannerisms, and "look at how insanely clever I am at behaving stupidly!" so his fans, themselves, feel clever and "in on the joke," with My Little Pony it's pretty inherently feminine and insular to very young girls so I guess the draw to its 30 year old male fans is something like, "Look at me, look at me, I'm sitting here totally comfortable being a 30 year old man watching a show for 5 year old girls... bet you don't know what to think of me now, dontcha? Dontcha?"

But to the rest of us, the sound minded people... like with Jack Black, we get the joke just fine. In fact, we've always gotten it. We just don't find it funny at all.

I take it I'm weird for being an adult woman that enjoys shows that are targeted at young boys like the Nick TMNT and pretty much the entirety of shonen manga? I'll never understand why it's okay for me to sit down and watch One Piece or Dragonball, but it's not okay for an adult male to watch a girl's show.

Even as a kid, it was always perfectly fine for me to like stuff directed at boys. But my best friend, a guy who's favorite color was pink and loved MLP, Barbie, etc. got made fun of for liking girl things. Double standards aren't cool.

MLP does well because it's a great show and great comic. (yes, I work on the comic, but I wanted to work on it because I'm a fan of the show) If MLP was merely just girly fluff with no entertainment value or substance, it wouldn't have gotten so popular. I mean, 99% of girl shows are exactly that, and they haven't gotten a big fandom.

It's totally fine if someone dislikes MLP or anything else that I like, we're all different. I'm not going to try to convert people to the show since I respect that we all have different tastes. (and I obviously know on a TMNT board people are likely going to prefer TMNT over MLP) But I'll never get why there is a need to look down on others for liking something they don't like.
Heather Breckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #257
ToTheNines
[sic]

Just realized I never reported October sales:

154. TMNT #27 - 17,042 copies
202. Villain Micro-series: Bebop/Rocksteady - 11,584 copies
262. TMNT: New Animated Adventures - 7,905 copies

B&R got a nice boost out of the Micro-series
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #258
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder how low the Nick comic can go for them to consider stopping it. I assume 5,000 copies is the minimum.

A real shame if it gets canceled like Dreamwave was. Both 4kids and Nick won't have long spanning comics like Archie.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #259
ToTheNines
[sic]

IDW has plenty of books that are deeper into their runs with way worse sales. As long as it hangs on until next August, it'll be good. I'm sure the new movie will bring in plenty of new readers.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #260
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also it's possible the Nick comic could go quarterly rather than monthly if worse comes to worse. I think Nick themselves would want IDW to keep up the cartoon comic as much as possible.

Tags
comic discussion