The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Thor Love and Thunder

Taika Waititi is returning to the many worlds of Thor.

Waititi has inked a deal to write and direct a follow-up to his 2017 smash, Thor: Ragnarok.

But his boarding of what would be a fourth installment of the Marvel franchise comes at a cost: Warner Bros.' long-gestating adaptation of Japanese manga, Akira.

That project, which was penciled for a May 21, 2021 release and had Waititi testing actors in a worldwide search for talent, is being put on pause indefinitely as the two projects' production dates began to bump up against one another. Script development concerns caused Akira to push back its shooting start and while some of those have been addressed, say sources, the dates were now too close for comfort.

Warners' next step for Akira is unclear but the project now seems to be in flux. Several sources have said that Warners is keen on keeping Waititi involved for the long-term and hopes to see him pick up Akira after Thor 4.

Waititi brought his own stamp to the Thor movies with Ragnarok, infusing the movies with an idiosyncratic wit and a humane outlook with movies such as What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Audiences responded to the tune of almost $854 million worldwide while critics’ raves put the movie at 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The move also rejuvenated what had been a rare declining franchise performer for Marvel.

Chris Hemsworth is expected to reprise his career-defining role as the Asgardian god of thunder.

Next up for Waititi is Jojo Rabbit, a unique Holocaust drama he directed for Fox Searchlight, which opens Oct. 18. Scarlett Johansson stars in the picture with Waititi portraying a twisty take on Adolf Hitler.

He is repped by CAA and Manage-ment.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...thor-4-1224464

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 05-23-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Autbot_Benz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

Shoot! I much rather see his take on Akira. Thor 4 should please many people though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
ZariusTwo
Overlord

That blows any chance of me liking this one. I thought Ragnarok sucked.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Huh. Interesting.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #5
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Uuuuugh, booooo! Ragnarok was trash.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

It makes sense to do another movie since Iron Man and Captain America don't really have anymore stories to tell and Thor is looking for new adventures. Plus, I really liked Waitti's work in Thor: Ragnarok and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. I don't know if Bruce Banner/Hulk will come back but if he does I hope that Ruffalo will give a performance similar to the one in the third 'Thor' film instead of the ones he gave during Avengers: Infinity War and the very beginning of Avengers: Endgame. It just came across as too hammy and cartoonish during those times.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ragnarok felt almost like a parody at times so I hope this is slightly more serious. Seriously the last movie almost felt like it was making fun of the characters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

I thought Ragnarok was one of the better MCU films. The MCU being something I love as a whole, but have plenty of grievances with at the same time.

Unfortunately, a large chunk of the MCU films feel pretty safe, sterile, and predictable to me. While Ragnarok doesn't really escape from that, I think it at least leans into the strengths of the MCU by being charming and funny.

As always, I think expectations play a large part in personal reception to something. So it's also worth mentioning that I didn't even bother to watch the first two Thor films. I like Hulk enough and the reviews were great, so I gave Ragnarok a watch and was pleasantly surprised. I don't have the perspective of a long-time Thor fan, just a casual viewer when it comes to Thor.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Ragnarok was one of the best MCU movies, so bring on more Waititi.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Ehh... are we sure Hemsworth would even be the star of this one? The way things are "positioned" at the end of Thor 3 and now Endgame... it seems like they're setting up an "important" new direction.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
AquaParade
Banned

I think it's safe to assume Chris Hemsworth will be the star. It could just as heavily feature Valkyrie and other characters though.

The way to get my interest is Beta Ray Bill, who I do think will have a prominent role.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Thor Ragnarok is the best Thor, so I’m glad he’s returning.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm not sure there's any version of this where Valkyrie doesn't become Female Thor. And think about it. You really think Thor will be the first MCU franchise to get a fourth movie without heavily shaking things up?

Also, I don't know why people are surprised about Akira. When Ghost in the Shell bombed and Alita only mayyyyybe broke even (and with James Cameron involved, no less), Akira's prospects became nill by anyone even considering investing in its production.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
Shark_Blade
Emperor

They should make Akira an animated cgi film much like Lupin the 3rd’s upcoming movie. Live action never look as good tbh.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #15
snake
Disgusting

Who the f*ck even asked for a live action Akira? Like, seriously, what's the point? It's hailed as THE anime movie masterpiece and critically respected in it's own right. There's actually no point in making it because it's something that should exist only in the medium it was intended for and perfected in- being manga and later anime.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #16
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Who the f*ck even asked for a live action Akira? Like, seriously, what's the point? It's hailed as THE anime movie masterpiece and critically respected in it's own right. There's actually no point in making it because it's something that should exist only in the medium it was intended for and perfected in- being manga and later anime.
Fair enough. I guess I’m just morbidly curious as to how it would turn out. That’s enough for me.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

I just realised, this makes Thor the longest sub-series in the MCU (aside from Avengers, which are entirely team-ups). We're obviously not going to get Iron Man 4 or Captain America 4 (unless some other character takes up the mantle or it's just prequels). A fourth Spider-Man, Ant-man and Guardians could happen but none have a third out yet. Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Doctor Strange still haven't gotten their second movie yet. Black Widow, Eternals and Shang-Chi are still in development. And there's no chance in hell Hulk 2 is ever happening.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #18
snake
Disgusting

I think it’s likely we’re going to get Cap 4 with Sam and Bucky.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I think it’s likely we’re going to get Cap 4 with Sam and Bucky.
That's what the Disney+ show is for.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #20
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
That's what the Disney+ show is for.
I really wish that weren’t a thing. Just make a new movie, damnit. It eliminates the risk of these shows being ignored/treated as sub-canon.

And yeah, I know they’re saying they won’t be- but who really knows with Disney?

Tags
vegita-san hates women