The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #41
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yes I did, and he was so PERFECT!

The bike thing was a bit of a stretch, but I can see how that moment of fear might break through to her. He was forcing her to respond to an immediate stimulus (threat) to "wake her up" from the nightmare she was stuck in.

As for It being female, that was the point. The fact that it was BREEDING (as in, there would have to be others for this to happen) was what was so ultimately horrifying. If they hadn't killed It AND the eggs, the evil would have eventually spread.
It makes me wonder if IT breeds asexually as there could not be another creaturr of such a species.

The whole ancient turtle that spits out the universe reminds me of the TMNT Adventures take taken from Indian legend.

Its a shame they cannot maintain their memories. It would seem plausible that since they eere in the lair tge foyr would rember and Mike's notebook would help him bring maintain his. The only two effects that transcend the mindwipe was Beverly reciprocating Be 's long held deep feelings and the damage done to a portion of the city from the second battle with the library,mall, and barrens being severely damaged.
I
Thoughts on the book now that I finished it...
Pretty good book. Some weird bits are in there, some random details that served nothing,but to prolong the story, and sex bits I felt did nothing for the story. I hope in the remake will something other than a monsterous spider will face them. Yet very well characterized and complex characters and the plot does well to compliment that. Characters are relatble and interesting. I could see 2/3rds of myself as Ben and the other one third as qualities of Mike's character. Entertaing from beginning to end which is a good thing with a book this long. I also appreciated the references to the period. Too bad not much on references to the political landscape and Cold War. I do not like horror stories and this was not it. Its a sci-fi murder mystery with a compelling history. Its a shame there was not more on the history and exact origin of It. I would have found that interesting. I am not sure if I want a sequel novel. 1958 is a novel to itself and 1985 is as well. There is always a spawn of IT that could have gotten passed Ben undetected and his and Beverly 's child feels drawn to stop the creature. At the same time qits one of those works that seem better left alone and be self contained as one work. Glad I picked up the book. I would recommend It to anyone who post on this thread yet to read the book.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 07-16-2015 at 11:18 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #42
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Actually, it was never specifically stated that there was not or could not be others. The fact that It had been there fro so long, and had been the cause of so much death and terror, implied that it had a powerful influence on people, and by extension, there could be others elsewhere in the world. So it's not entirely out of the question that there WAS another one somewhere and they just never knew about it.

As for the spider, that part was intended to show that humans can't imagine or comprehend its "true" shape, only that a spider was as close as the human mind could get to It. As many people have a fear of spiders already, it makes sense for that to be the "true" shape, or at least something close to it. The "deadlights" of its eyes was something otherworldly or alien, but otherwise, it was basically a huge monster that HAPPENS to look spider-like.

It was very MUCH a horror story, because of the creature, and how so much of what happened was caused by or influenced by it in one way or another. Sci-fi or not, at the heart of the book, was the nature of fear and terror, especially childhood fears, which as the book points out, are more "pure" than those of adults. There are other things, too, like the incident in the junkyard, pretty much any of the scary stuff in the Barrens, and that scene where Pennywise appears in the water. Also- a clown with sharp teeth in the storm drain grabbing a little kid? If that's not horror, I don't know what is!

Incidentally, there WAS some mention of the political and social landscape of the period, but since the book dealt with a relatively isolated small town, it wasn't really relevant beyond the immediate socio-political climate of the town itself. Things like how Mike (being black) was treated, Bev's father being abusive and it wasn't noticed or talked about, and other details pertaining to how people thought back then.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:54 AM   #43
pennydreadful
trash

I think it dealt with themes of domestic violence as a whole, since Bev then went on to marry someone who battered her.

I've noticed that Stephen King tends to touch on a lot of those types of subjects in his novels in terms of racism, homophobia, domestic violence, anti-Semitism, the myriad every-day cruelties that people inflict upon one another and the faces that so-called "decent people" reveal behind closed doors.

I agree that it is a horror story - for me, horror isn't just about blood and gore, it's about humanity in general. Horror is defined as "an intense feeling of shock, fear or disgust" - to me, this book delivers that on every level. A killer clown is frightening to me, but Adrian Mellon's murder elicits just as much fear and horror. Tom viciously beating Bev's friend Kay is as repulsive and scary as Patrick Hockstetter being killed by the flying leeches.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #44
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/back-to-der...153351801.html

I found this interesting interview and retrospect on Yahoo! It has now been 25 years since Tim Curry haunted or delighted horror and/or sci-fi fans as Pennywise.

Wish we could get news on the theatrical remake.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #45
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Not sure if a cast has been rounded out, but filming is set for July 11th in a town in Canada.

http://m.northumberlandnews.com/news...hen-king-s-it-
Old 06-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #46
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Will Poulter is no longer Pennywise, the creppy looking actor perhaps best known for playing the role of Kenny in We're The Millers. Instead Bill Skarsgard is in the role of Pennywise/It. I admit I have never heard of the Swedish actor though I do find it amusing to an extent that he was three months old at the time of the original adaptation. More of the cast is listed in the article along with the team of producers. Unlike Stephen King's It telefilm two parter which was a who's who of 1980s' sitcoms they all appear to be unknown ( as far as I know anyway).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...nnywise-898993

I don't mind amping up the violence, but I hope Beverely's sexual misadventures will be kept out once again.

Edit:Here is a more in-depth article.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3950075

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 06-03-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #47
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that the original came out in 1990, and the new one is for 2017? Y'know, 27 years later, like the original feeding years?
Foombamaroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #48
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

First image of Pennywise in the currently filming movie.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/13...ise-first-look
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #49
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The trailer dropped today.
https://youtu.be/FnCdOQsX5kc
Old 03-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #50
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

awh

Looks pretty lame to be honest.

1. No one will be better than Tim Curry. Should have brought him back at least to voice.
And It wasnt really needed and cannot outdue or match the original.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #51
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
Looks pretty lame to be honest.
that's Stephen King at his best.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #52
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2017/06/0...t-pennywise-it

There is a behind the scenes documentary of the two part T.V. film in the works.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Movie is AWESOME. Way, way better kid stuff than the kid stuff in the original mini-series.

I wonder if the second part will explain why the adults don't even think for a moment about bringing pistols/shotguns/firepower to take on Pennywise. In Maine.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #54
DWC
Banned

Just back from seeing it at the cinema.

Great film. Really sets up a sequel as well.

Pennywise was pretty frightening and the kid actors were quite good.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #55
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I just love the kids chemistry. Reminds me of the Super 8/Attack on the Block/Goonies kids a lot.

Fav characters:

1. Pennywise. Visually better than Tim Curry's of course. Acting wise I prefer the new clown too, so demented and disturbing.

2. Eddie "It's gazebo! It's bull****!!!" I just love his constant paranoia and high regard for hygiene and health, but in the end come to realization that it's just dragging him down. His clapbacks are wonderful too - "Eddie, are these medicines birth controls?" "Yeah I'm saving it later for your sister"

3. Beverly. Molly Ringwald of the group, nuff said.

4. Jeremy. Loveable outcast. Sad that Beverly didn't like him that way though.

5. Mike. I kinda wish he got to spend time with the group (river bathing, hanging out at their house etc) but alas. He's ready to kill a clown than an innocent sheep lol.

6. Georgie. He's just cute and fit the plot.

7. Bill. Cliche tragic leader but he fit the purpose.

8. Richie. Not much known about his family. Some people like his jokes but it didn't do much for me as it's rather rude/annoying in some parts. (Measuring dicks, only virgins can see it, etc)

9. Stanley. Being a person of Jewish heritage it provides an interesting different point of view but sadly he's constantly negative and annoying. Only redeeming quality is that he stays with the group at the end for the boss fight tbh.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #56
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Smile

I liked the movie. Pennywise was creepy as hell. I like the way he just twists around and puts his body back into shape while the victim is just frozen in horror.

All of Derry is messed up though. All the kids have crappy parents, the bullies want to carve you up or flat out kill you, and then there's that pharmacy guy totally checking Beverly out. I honestly can't wait for the sequel and i hope they pick good choices to play the adults.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #57
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Here's to hoping that Seth Green plays adult Richie in the second chapter
Old 09-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #58
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Here's to hoping that Seth Green plays adult Richie in the second chapter
That would be cool and the perfect not to the TV film.

Did anyone else think Beverly being abducted after killing her father in self-defense defeated the independence she was to be seen with because of the damsel in distress causing the boys to go save her.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #59
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
That would be cool and the perfect not to the TV film.

Did anyone else think Beverly being abducted after killing her father in self-defense defeated the independence she was to be seen with because of the damsel in distress causing the boys to go save her.
Idk. I mean being abducted by a demonic clown you can't simply bitchsmack away doesn't make her less of a person.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I can almost guarantee you we'll see Channing Tatum or Chris Pratt as adult Ben.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote