The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 01:18 AM   #221
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Here it is.

Cheers.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #222
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

Jon Favreau said the reason why James Earl Jones didn't attend the premiere or was featured in the cast photo is because he lives on the East Coast and he doesn't travel around as much anymore. His participation was geared more towards his performance.

Don't worry, James Earl Jones is fine, says 'Lion King' director Jon Favreau
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #223
Vicky82
Emperor

Currently 59% on RT, so slightly better than Aladdin's RT score. I wonder if Lion King will have a big audience score too.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #224
Mr Salk
Thug

I don't know why they bother calling these things live-action when they are all computer-animated. They didn't train a bunch of real lions to act.
Mr Salk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #225
Sumac
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
I don't know why they bother calling these things live-action when they are all computer-animated. They didn't train a bunch of real lions to act.
Because they would be forced to admit that it's basically CGI cartoon, which wouldn't be a good look.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:05 AM   #226
Sugilita
Random Punk

Quote:
Would be difficult to train real lions to move lips to give the impression that they are talking.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #227
Egon1982
Foot Soldier

I knew it, i knew it, The Lion King remake looked like a pointless failure that seems shot to shot like that lousy Psycho remake from the beginning and a bad idea! the reviews are not very good. Here's an example: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/the-lion-king-review-2019-1202157153/?fbclid=IwAR2SLf04ja3wp8zWbbjDlZOR8mm_FG7QCxg6NpIg mpVoTvjzjWEE2q_XOAM

Here's a video from the greatest fictional critic ever Jay Sherman.
Don't just boycott the new Little Mermaid film. Boycott all of Disney's live action remakes. That includes The Lion King and Lady and the Tramp.
Because if you contribute to The Lion King being hit, you are not showing Disney anything other than you want more of this crap. Bad reviews won't mean a thing. Disney cares only about the bottom line and pure profit.
Can't we just re-issue the original films Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King with some updated remastered animation? as because they still hold up really good to this day, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King and three of them in my opinion are the best animated films of the 90s among others. We don't need an update, we don't need a live-action remake of Lion King which isn't even live-action, it's CGI. Sometimes like lion King or Beauty and the Beast, Disney can't strike the same lightning in a bottle twice.

I hope the people who saw the trailers to Lion King and didn't like what they saw then speak with your wallet, and if your tired of Disney's lazy halfassed cashgrab remakes of their classics, don't pay to see them and that's how you're gonna send your message. So if you are sick of this lazy crap as much as I am, do not pay to see any of their live action remakes and just contribute to diminishing returns. I have yet to give them a single cent for these casghrab efforts and I will continue to do so. That is the only way they will consider stopping. Because if they keep making money, no matter how bad the word of mouth and reviews are, Disney will not give a damn and keep making them. And if any film of live-action bombs which has happened to Dumbo then Disney will be like "oh wow, i guess people are tired of this! i guess audiences doesn't want this!" and that's how your gonna send your message. Disney will look at the bottomline and it will fall, they will be like "oh wow i guess people are sick of this, let's do other projects and stuff even for Walt Disney animation Studios and Pixar".

I mean you are just gonna get live-action remakes of Pinocchio and all. it's going to happen, i guarantee it and all but eventually the bottom will completely fall out and they are just gonna get diminishing returns, because they are no longer about the ideals that Walt Disney built his company around. They are about greed, power and manipulation of your nostalgia.
If not? That what is the point? There is no need for lazy live action Disney remakes and it is a shame that films like this get the pass and make millions. Like i said, eventually your just gonna get diminishing returns and soon the bottom will eventually fall.

I want the Disney that made the original and was a genuine trendsetter back in the good old days. Not the current version which is just pumping out reheated left overs from the past (the original Beauty Aladdin and Lion King are delicious and still are delicious), bad Pirates sequels with a upcoming reboot (please let it die already and do something else), sequels to Cars and failed adaptations of parts of their park like Tomorrowland. I want them to do creative things like Zootopia and some others.

I have no desire to see it but slavishly praising the live action Beauty and the Beast and not realizing it for the shameless cash grab that it is? hate that they are doing this. There's a reason why adapting classic fairytales into animation works best. These live action films have been mediocre to disastrous.

Go see Toy Story 4 again (that movie earned my money as Toy Story at least is a franchise that Disney/Pixar built and still going it in a way i feel is more respectful than the remakes of the disney animated classics which are lazy and halfassed, it at least does a unique installment in the franchise), Spider-Man Far from Home (Marvel earned my money there and Avengers which was a great finale to the saga), Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Into the Ashes as those earn your money.

We need to all be like Jay Sherman from The Critic and listen to his immortal brilliant speech which is timeless and look at the video above to see what i mean from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWj5_-F9Q4
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #228
Mr Salk
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugilita View Post
Would be difficult to train real lions to move lips to give the impression that they are talking.
Feed them peanut butter. Works for dogs.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #229
Sugilita
Random Punk

Quote:
Feed them peanut butter. Works for dogs.
The people at Disney can try feeding them with peanut butter.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #230
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I read details about the plot:

Spoiler:
There's next to nothing new in this film, aside from slightly more focus on Nala's life as an adult and Scar trying to make Sarabi his queen or something.

Hardly enough to make me want to watch this in theatres.
I mean, I am already let down by the photo-realistic style for reasons stated before, but I was atleast hoping that there would be some significant changes to the story to make things more interesting.

Maybe we could've had a different way that Simba faces his past and triumphs in the end, which was a major gripe that many people had with the original film, or maybe some Lion King 2 characters are shown, and what their lives were like before the events of the sequel.

But nope, this is just the 99% same story, repackaged into a medium that just ends up looking soulless.

I'll be passing on this one.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #231
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I read some stuff about lack of expressions/emotions on the animals too, something they intentionally did.

I’m gonna find out for myself soon.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #232
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Thumbs up

Seen it.

Pros
- Amazing photorealistic cgi animals, it’s like watching Animal Planet soap opera.
- The most faithful adaptation based on the original story so far. This is how you remake it without drastically changing it unlike Maleficent (suddenly she’s the good guy?? Wtf??) or adding annoying nonsense baggage to it like Beauty and the Beast (Maurice fleeing from the castle for his dear life but suddenly stopped and stole a rose for Belle, so absurd.... and all about her mom etc so)
- The talking, expressions and emotions are fine. We’ve seen this in Jungle Book before and it still works similarly here.
- Mufasa’s voice is still great and powerful.
- Timon & Pumbaa’s are really funny. Their voices are really good, I really thought they used the same voice actors. Surprised they didn’t, the new guys did a fantastic job.
- When Mufasa died, I was expecting Simba’s tears to roll down his cheeks but that didn’t happen. I suspected it’s because cats do not cry when they’re sad and after I googled, I was right. Amazing attention to detail in realism.

Cons
- “Be Prepared” was changed and not as catchy as the original version.
- Scar’s mane could be blacker but I’m not too fussy about it.

Overall: 9/10
Old 07-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #233
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I'm seeing it Friday morning. I use a movie subscription service (AMC A-List) and using one of my weekly slots to see it. If I were buying the ticket individually I probably wouldn't go see it honestly. My expectations are not very high.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #234
Mr Salk
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

- When Mufasa died, I was expecting Simba’s tears to roll down his cheeks but that didn’t happen. I suspected it’s because cats do not cry when they’re sad and after I googled, I was right. Amazing attention to detail in realism.
False. Cats don't cry because they are incapable of sadness.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #235
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

The music video for Beyoncé's new song "Spirit" has debuted.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #236
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
False. Cats don't cry because they are incapable of sadness.

Not true. Animals, including cats, can become sad and even depressed. They simply express it differently than humans. My own cats are frequently examples of this when we are gone for long periods. They act listless and show little interest in food or playing, they sleep more or pace while meowing loudly for us, they become clingy and overly affectionate when we come back, etc.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #237
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Box Office: #TheLionKing crossing $100 million overseas

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...erseas-1225353

Disney's The Lion King is already crossing $100 million at the overseas box office, where it opened midweek in several markets after launching first in China last weekend. It lands in North America Friday following Thursday night previews.

China leads the haul so far with $72.6 million, a solid showing for a family film.

On Wednesday, the Jon Favreau-directed update launched in a handful of other markets, bringing its total to $94.5 million. It posted the second biggest opening day of the year behind Avengers: Endgame in a few markets, including France, where it grossed a big $4.8 million, Australia ($2.9 million), Germany ($2.3 million) and the Netherlands ($1.3 million).

Its opening day was more than double those of Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book in France, Germany and South Korea ($2.2 million).

If prerelease tracking is any indication, the Disney tentpole will easily earn between $150 million and $180 million in its North American launch for a global haul of $450 million or more through Sunday. However, look for the film to slow down considerably in China, where it faces tough competition this weekend from a local family film.

The Lion King uses groundbreaking photorealistic CG animation in re-creating the classic 1994 animated film. So far critics are divided, with the movie's current RottenTomatoes score resting at 56 percent. The star-studded voice cast includes Donald Glover, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, Seth Rogen, Alfre Woodard, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Billy Eichner, John Kani and John Oliver. James Earl Jones reprises his original role as Mufasa.

Outside the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, only three of Disney's live-action titles have opened north of $100 million, including Beauty and the Beast. The Jungle Book debuted to $103.3 million, while Alice In Wonderland started off with $116 million.

The Lion King is roaring into almost every foreign market this weekend, with the exception of Hong Kong (July 25), Japan (Aug. 9) and Italy (Aug. 21).
Old 07-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #238
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

I'm not all surprised that this video was created. It's very well done.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #239
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Saw it yesterday. This one is now one of my two top "LA" remakes, veeery close second to Beauty and the Beast. It's not beat for beat exact replica, but very close, and the few changes made were fine- though I have two (small) critiquues. One, that Scar's "Be Prepared" scene/number was MUCH truncated and lacked some of the priginal's teeth (pardon the pun), as it made his "army" seem much less of a threat, and underscored his full diabolical scheme with fewer lines. Also,

Spoiler:
the hyenas did not do the goosestep "Nazi march" like in the original, which made his true ambitions so much scarier in the animated film.

The second was Rafiki. Was a bit disappointed that he seemed to have a smaller part. As much as I loved him in the original, here he seemed almost an afterthought. Especially with his scene with Simba,

Spoiler:
where he did not whack him on the head or give the "past can hurt" advice. The lesson of learning from the past was bot there.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #240
Shark_Blade
Emperor

‘THE LION KING’ has earned $581M in its worldwide box office opening weekend.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...5m-bow-1225880

More than half a billion just for opening weekend? Legends only.

Tags
cuck king, cuckfasa, the circle of sjw