The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 AM   #121
Allio
Foot Elite

I think it's more of the changing times, horror films used to be more popular than it is now. and since Horror correlates with R-ratings, it isn't hard to see it get a hard bat to the face.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 AM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I think it's more of the changing times, horror films used to be more popular than it is now. and since Horror correlates with R-ratings, it isn't hard to see it get a hard bat to the face.
It's more shifting Big Studio expectations. Used to be studios would throw 10 million at an R-rated thing and be OK with a 50 million take. Now they want to throw 100 million at a thing and expect 300 million.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:40 AM   #123
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This has always seemed a misnomer to me. In my childhood, everyone saw R-rated movies in the theater. Whether it's parents taking kids, or parents buying the tickets and then leaving you to see it.

Maybe the meter have shifted since then. I don't know.
Sure, but there's no way in hell this movie would have gotten an R classification 30 years ago. Evil Dead 2 got an X, and it's arguably less graphic than Hellboy.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 AM   #124
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Sure, but there's no way in hell this movie would have gotten an R classification 30 years ago. Evil Dead 2 got an X, and it's arguably less graphic than Hellboy.
Nonsense. People graphically getting ripped in half with entrails and brains pouring out would have guaranteed an R, even in 1986.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #125
Powder
Salami Origami

I think he's saying it'd have a harder rating than R.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #126
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Nonsense. People graphically getting ripped in half with entrails and brains pouring out would have guaranteed an R, even in 1986.
X rating is over R in the MPAA film rating system, but got renamed/replaced with NC-17 rating
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #127
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Oh no. It's bad, trust me. Maybe with another draft of the script and a different Bloodqueen actress it could have been something.

Also... this is absolutely true:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...one-ncna994016

Come to think of it yes, a large portion of the movie is written and setup like the latest "The Mummy"... i.e., it's eye set on foreshadowing many movies to come, not at all a focus on making this movie good.
I mean outside of the enevitable sequel with the mid-credits/post credit, what sequel bait is there?

Granted my Hellboy lore isn't the greatest
Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #128
Leo656
The Franchise

I saw it yesterday and dug it a lot. It's not a classic of modern cinema or anything but it's a perfectly serviceable action/gore film and from what I know of the books (which admittedly isn't a ton) it's extremely faithful to the source material.

I didn't think the CGI looked great either, but I'm on record as saying that to me ALL CGI looks like ass so I can either give every movie a hard time about it or just accept that people don't wanna work hard anymore and grade on a curve. I'm perfectly willing to meet them halfway and accept that they did what they could with the budget they were allowed.

Action was good, gore was well-done, the lore was well-represented... people saying it's "one of the worst CBMS ever made" are WAY off-base. I really do feel like that if there weren't two other films to compare it to, people wouldn't have such a hard time with it. I liked some things better than the Del Toro films, like where they went deeper into Hellboy's origins and such.

I know they probably won't get to do sequels, but I'd love it if they did. They certainly left the door wide open for it. I thought it was Perfectly Fine.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:23 AM   #129
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I think he's saying it'd have a harder rating than R.
Yeah, that is what I was trying to say. If Hellboy came out in the 80s, it would be unrated.

That's more-or-less what happened here in Australia. Hellboy was classified R18+ by the OFLC, which means no one under 18 can watch it even under parental supervision. The studio appealed to have it downgraded to MA15+ but they were unsuccessful. R18+ is box office poison, especially for a movie about goblins and fairies.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:40 AM   #130
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Yeah, that is what I was trying to say. If Hellboy came out in the 80s, it would be unrated.
No way. "Day of the Dead" had more guts and in longer, extended shots than this... and that was 1985.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:03 AM   #131
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
No way. "Day of the Dead" had more guts and in longer, extended shots than this... and that was 1985.
Day of the Dead was Unrated wasn't it?
Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #132
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Saw the movie the critics were way to harsh on it. Its not great but its not terrible. I still prefer the Del Toro Movies. David's Harbor was way to whiny and bitchy. Like grow a pair and shut up. Lacks the gravitas of Perlman's Hellboy. I loved ben daimio and Lobster Johnson. Also this movie gets Prof. Broom terribly wrong.

also the ending with Kickstart my heart by Motley Crue was awesome.

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #133
joe-eyeball
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Saw the movie the critics were way to harsh on it. Its not great but its not terrible. I still prefer the Del Toro Movies. David's Harbor was way to whiny and bitchy. Like grow a pair and shut up. Lacks the gravitas of Perlman's Hellboy. I loved ben daimio and Lobster Johnson. Also this movie gets Prof. Broom terribly wrong.

also the ending with Kickstart my heart by Motley Crue was awesome.
Exactly! I agree with your assessment of the movie. The ending with kickstart my heart was awesome and is probably the tone they should have going for throughout the whole movie. If they would have actually paired that tone along with humor that worked it would’ve been a great flick!
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #134
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I didn't feel like creating a new thread, but I've been powering through the Hellboy comics.

At this point, I'm ready to get to "Hellboy in Hell." The story is very decompressed, with a lot of "slice of life" stuff. Very akin to Mirage TMNT or Usagi.

I myself prefer a little tighter focus, but it's pretty good.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #135
Leo656
The Franchise

I really ought to pick up a few trades one of these days.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuckboy