The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #21
daggio
Foot Soldier

I haven't looked forward to something this much in a long time. While I'm anxious to see how everything in New York plays out, the whole Dimension X scene, to me, adds a whole new dimension (literally & figuratively) to this arc. If what is happening in Dimension X is not directly connected with events in New York, is it possible a whole different player is gonna be on the field, so to speak?
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Spoiler:
Talk about "action, not words".
Especially after Jennika getting stabbed after a big ol word dump.

Looked a lot like when Saki stabbed Casey, tbh...echoes of the past leaking through there.

We're probably going to be fed drops at a time of the Dimension X side, but wow. What a way to start City at War.

But the coolest thing of all, WE HAVE A MAP OF TERRITORIES. Not sure what the blue area is, especially since there's no yellow representing mafia/gangs on the map. But it's so cool to see. And will probably change as the story goes along.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #23
Igglet

This is a great way for them to start the arc. Huuuuge props to the team. So much good stuff here.

I don't know if it's just my personal taste changing, but I've enjoyed Wachter's art a LOT more than I expected this issue. I couldn't be happier that he's the one doing this arc.

Spoiler:
The issue was actually really intense. I think most of us could've expected Jennika getting stabbed, mostly due to the FCBD preview, but man, it was pulled off really well. And I've just started to like her.

Raph's probably the part of the arc I'm most excited about. I want to see how far he's gonna be pushed, how far he's going to go. I get the feeling that he might join the Purple Dragons for real, even?

I bet you that, at some point, Karai's gonna take over most of the city and the entire territory map will just be painted red (or whatever color she's gonna be) to display how screwed the turtles are.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #24
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

All in all, I liked it. But I'm most excited to finally, FINALLY get a Raph/Hob team-up, which definitely is foreshadowed. BRING IT ON!

Spoiler:
I love that Stockman's mayoral campaign is still on the rise. And I guess we're getting April and Casey back together after Jennika's dead.

Karai and her mutants wiping out the mob was pretty great. I'm quite curious to see how the Turtles will fare against Karai's henchmutants in a fight. Bludgeon can't be blinded again, and Koya can't be grounded again, so the old tactics are useless. And, of course, Ocho and the red ninja sword of hatred definitely seem to be driving Karai's vicious and merciless approach.

We've finally got a Turtle Van. Which I'm okay with, because IDW has really held off on gadgets for Donnie. And having Harold and Libby help him design it makes it okay for me.

RIP, Jennika. I won't miss you, but I appreciate your sacrifice. I think I would have liked you better if you weren't being used as the obvious rebound for Casey.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
AquaParade
Banned

I haven't read this series anywhere near consistently since #50.

I think when the collection for this arc comes out, I will use it as a barometer for whether I want to jump back on monthly. I do this every once in a while for this series, but nothing has pulled me back in, as of yet.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I haven't read this series anywhere near consistently since #50.

I think when the collection for this arc comes out, I will use it as a barometer for whether I want to jump back on monthly. I do this every once in a while for this series, but nothing has pulled me back in, as of yet.
Aw man, there have been some great story arcs since #50!
  • Leatherhead's introductory arc in #56-58
  • Bishop's introductory arc in Universe #1-4
  • Karai in Japan in Universe #12-15
  • The Turtles and Foot Clan versus Street Phantoms #61-64
  • Bishop attacking the Turtles and Mutanimals #67-70
  • Trial of Krang's conclusion in #75
  • Donatello trying to broker a peace treaty between Utroms and Triceratons in Universe #21-22
  • Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #1-5
  • Bishop vs the Turtles, Mutanimals, and Burnow Island #86-88
Old 04-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #27
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Aw man, there have been some great story arcs since #50!
  • Leatherhead's introductory arc in #56-58
  • Bishop's introductory arc in Universe #1-4
  • Karai in Japan in Universe #12-15
  • The Turtles and Foot Clan versus Street Phantoms #61-64
  • Bishop attacking the Turtles and Mutanimals #67-70
  • Trial of Krang's conclusion in #75
  • Donatello trying to broker a peace treaty between Utroms and Triceratons in Universe #21-22
  • Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #1-5
  • Bishop vs the Turtles, Mutanimals, and Burnow Island #86-88
I'm glad you've enjoyed it so much. I imagine if I do hop back on, I may feel inclined to go back and read everything I've missed.

I just have mixed feelings with the series, but I really appreciate what the team behind this book is doing. I can totally imagine how, for some people, this is the perfect TMNT (re)incarnation.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

The art of this issue was really good, so many scenes stood out. Especially most of the art on Koya/Bludgeon/Ocho, I can't believe how detailed those shots were. Also liked the art on the humans faces particularly Karai/Jennika/April, etc.

In terms of story I guess the arc is full underway, but I guess it really does make the Leo macro and the previous events of Karai wanting a peaceful transition of power kinda pointless. Even Leo/Koya's fight meant nothing now with Koya forgiving him. Ah well. Also kinda surprised we haven't seen Bebop/Rocksteady yet, Karai technically has 5 animal henchmen at her disposal now along with Natsu. Karai has essentially gone past the point of no return, so I wonder what will happen to her in the coming issues.

I'm also glad they left Bishop/Metalhead out of this issue. They would have just wasted page time here and weren't needed. The Neutrino/Fugitoid page could have been left for a future issue too for that matter. I prefer them focusing on the story at hand then constantly setting up future arcs we won't see unfold for months/years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #29
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Neutrino/Fugitoid page could have been left for a future issue too for that matter. I prefer them focusing on the story at hand then constantly setting up future arcs we won't see unfold for months/years.
Are you 100% sure it has nothing to do with the story at hand............?

Talk soon...

Tom W.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #30
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ominous as always, Tom. Ominous as always.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #31
daggio
Foot Soldier

The whole Raph thing made me realize something that I kinda noticed back in the Christmas issue and the Macros, that maybe the Turtles are slowly coming to a point where they may go their own separate ways. There were obvious hints here of Raph joining the Mutanimals plus we see Don constantly hanging with Harold and Libby. Mikey being very protective of the orphans may very well lead to something down the road. And of course Leo with his complex relationship with Karai. If it fact Splinter dies (which if the spirit in Shredder in Hell is really Hamato Yoshi and not a spirit posing as him, would then indicate that he has died) maybe that'll be the catalyst for the Turtles to go their separate ways, just like in Mirage volume 4.
I say this jokingly, but maybe when Shredder comes back as the Dragon, he'll take Hob and Bludgeon and turn them into Verminator X and Armaggon (making them that trio from Archie), thus Raph will take over the Mutanimals (like he did of the Foot in Image).
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #32
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggio View Post
The whole Raph thing made me realize something that I kinda noticed back in the Christmas issue and the Macros, that maybe the Turtles are slowly coming to a point where they may go their own separate ways.
I've thought about that possibility once or twice, maybe as the new status quo after #100. Who knows, it's quite possible.

I could see this being Raph's "start of darkness" too, putting him on the path to taking over and eventually fighting others for the mantle of the Shredder. I've always wanted to see IDW tackle a sprawling, epic arc along those lines.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #33
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

You know...now that you mention that, it feels like 101 will have everything changed, but the turtles themselves right back where they started.

Namely, just Raphael on his own trying to make his way in the world while his brothers worry about him.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:30 AM   #34
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The problem was that we already knew how this would end, Jenika would be stabbed by Karai because she refused to join Karai. The lingering question is whether she like Casey Jones will survive. If someone else has to die I fine with Jenika dying for service to the overall story.

Only way Karai is stopped is by Shredder coming back?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post

But the coolest thing of all, WE HAVE A MAP OF TERRITORIES. Not sure what the blue area is, especially since there's no yellow representing mafia/gangs on the map. But it's so cool to see. And will probably change as the story goes along.
I wondered about the Blue Areas too. Thought maybe there had been an editorial error regarding the blue/yellow key.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #36
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Raph and Old Hob/Mutanimals team up? Potential space threat (perhaps Maligna?). Could we be seeing IDWs adaptation of Archie’s Mighty Mutanimals three part miniseries?
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #37
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
Raph and Old Hob/Mutanimals team up? Potential space threat (perhaps Maligna?). Could we be seeing IDWs adaptation of Archie’s Mighty Mutanimals three part miniseries?
Well, a mini slot could open up in the Spring after Shredder In Hell wraps up. Its just how would it all fit with the lead up to #100 and Karai wrestling away the control of Thew Foot?
Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #38
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Well, a mini slot could open up in the Spring after Shredder In Hell wraps up.
"In the Spring" or "after Shredder in Hell wraps up"? Pick one.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #39
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
"In the Spring" or "after Shredder in Hell wraps up"? Pick one.
Funny,CHOSEnONE.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #40
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Funny,CHOSEnONE.
Haha, nice! I used to get that all the time, either as a joke or as a genuine misunderstanding, back when this username was in my personal e-mail address. (Narcissistic? Who's narcissistic? No, you're narcissistic! )

Back on topic, I do think there was a second mini planned for release during City at War, but the delays of Shredder in Hell nixed those plans. At least for now.