The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #41
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
wasn't the ooze just alien industrial waste in the comics? it was still industrial waste. and if the cut shot of tmnt 2 is to be believed, the prof WAS an utrom in disguise.
Such scenes should be kept.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #42
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
wasn't the ooze just alien industrial waste in the comics? it was still industrial waste. and if the cut shot of tmnt 2 is to be believed, the prof WAS an utrom in disguise.
I think it's somewhat up in the air as to what it actually was.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #43
pferreira
Foot Elite

423305690288544_mainphoto.jpg

So this is the film I went to see all those years ago. I think it's the first film I saw in the cinema with my dad although it came out a couple of months later in the UK. I remember having to decide to watch this or Super Mario Bros but then chose this because it's flippin Turtles dammit! Well the trailer and previews were exciting. I was so excited, going to the cinema was a new experience for me but I was really disappointed and embarrassed by the movie. We saw it just after lunch so there wasn't many people in the screening room. I remember a kid around my age, maybe slightly younger came in about a quarter way through with his mum. I found him annoying because he forced himself to laugh at every single joke, even the bad ones while I found almost none of the movie amusing. He reminds me like one of those office employees that laughs hard at every joke his boss makes.

What do I think of the film now? It's still not great. One reviewer had it best when he said the main issue of the movie is that the Turtles fail to work when brought out of New York as it's their interaction with New York that makes the films endearing. The time travel aspect is fine and travelling back in time to Ancient Japan is a no brainer but alas I think Stuart Gillard should have time travelled to the future and read that review...

The costumes let it down whether it's the Turtles or Splinter, the jokes let it down, no Kevin Clash. AVGN wanted Krang and the Technodrome and that would have been cool. It's the best shot movie of the trilogy, it looks lovely. Walker is an interesting villain but not interesting enough compared to the previous two movies. Casey is great, Tarzan Boy is one of the genuine moments that made it feel like a TMNT movie, April was fine although slightly annoying in this film, Witt was excellent but there wasn't enough screen time to develop him so we're left with half well achieved character.

Overall time has been kind to the movie. It hasn't dated as badly as the 2007 or 2014 movie and it's much more watchable than those two movies but as a solid movie I can't say it is. It's at least entertaining and that is okay with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Happy birthday, you unfunny slow drag of a movie. Seriously, this has to be the most boring movie out of all six. The only nice I can say about it is that it's better than OotS, since some parts of 3 were at least a little entertaining. Which says very little, given how much of a moldy dogturd OotS is.
I think this is a better movie than the 2014 and 2007 movie but that's not a recommendation. Time has been kind to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Happy 25th anniversary, TMNT 3. Oddly enough, I like Turtles in Time.
Yes I like the video game as well.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #44
shihe
Hench Mutant

So, I didn't want to make a whole thread about this, because chances are nobody's even slightly interested in discussing TMNT3.

But... how would you guys change it to be an epic movie worthy of being a follow up to ... well, the 1st film?

Rule of thumb, must be about time travel.

I've been having this idea today.
But... starts out similarly, except before we get to the "can't stop rocking" theme, maybe we get a glimpse of Renet losing the time scepter.

You know where I'm going with this. The movie is now about Renet trying to recover the scepter, and Savanti Romero (who would be the main antagonist).

The turtles would get the scepter from April, they'd get warped back in time to feudal Japan.
Then, unlike the movie we got, we get to witness the origins of the foot clan.
And instead of Walker and Norinaga, they bad guys in this movie would be Shogun (from the NES game TMNT2?) and Savanti Romero.

And at the end of the movie, some little changes led to Karai being born, and becoming the new Shredder, paving the way for a 4th movie where she's the main antagonist.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #45
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihe View Post
So, I didn't want to make a whole thread about this, because chances are nobody's even slightly interested in discussing TMNT3.

But... how would you guys change it to be an epic movie worthy of being a follow up to ... well, the 1st film?

Rule of thumb, must be about time travel.

I've been having this idea today.
But... starts out similarly, except before we get to the "can't stop rocking" theme, maybe we get a glimpse of Renet losing the time scepter.

You know where I'm going with this. The movie is now about Renet trying to recover the scepter, and Savanti Romero (who would be the main antagonist).

The turtles would get the scepter from April, they'd get warped back in time to feudal Japan.
Then, unlike the movie we got, we get to witness the origins of the foot clan.
And instead of Walker and Norinaga, they bad guys in this movie would be Shogun (from the NES game TMNT2?) and Savanti Romero.

And at the end of the movie, some little changes led to Karai being born, and becoming the new Shredder, paving the way for a 4th movie where she's the main antagonist.
I would make the turtles meet Hamato Yoshi's and Oroku Saki's ancestors in the past instead of walker/the samurai etc. (just like the the Original Cartoon episode: The Legend of Koji).

Perhaps Karai travels back in time to destroy the Hamato Clan in order to avenge her father (who is confirmed to have perished in Secret of the Ooze) and the turtles intend to stop her.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #46
shihe
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I would make the turtles meet Hamato Yoshi's and Oroku Saki's ancestors in the past instead of walker/the samurai etc. (just like the the Original Cartoon episode: The Legend of Koji).

Perhaps Karai travels back in time to destroy the Hamato Clan in order to avenge her father (who is confirmed to have perished in Secret of the Ooze) and the turtles intend to stop her.
Those are pretty cool ideas.
As long as Karai is introduced somehow, I feel there was lots of wasted potential with how TMNT3 turned out. Even recreating the game's plot would have been awesome.

.... do you think it would be possible that they could ignore the passage of time, and blatantly announce "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4" going back to the old style?
That would be my dream movie. (They'd obviously have to recast, but... come on, not like it's going to be an issue, right?).
Old 04-04-2018, 02:31 AM   #47
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihe View Post
.... do you think it would be possible that they could ignore the passage of time, and blatantly announce "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4" going back to the old style?
That would be my dream movie. (They'd obviously have to recast, but... come on, not like it's going to be an issue, right?).
I felt that the 2007 film sort of did that (although in a way that is very vague) but I would love to see a continuation of the Original Live Action trilogy of some sort. If the Original Cartoon turtles can be brought back twice (in Turtles Forever and the Nick series), I can't see why the Original Movie turtles can't be brought back (albeit not in the jim henson suits, and most likely not with the original VAs: but in line with the continuity of the first 3/4 films).

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #48
Donnie
Something from the Past

I love TMNT III. It's way better than SotO. At least the third film has a coherent story line, better characterization and better writing overall. I don't get all the flack the third film gets. If you compare the second and third films closely, there are so many more holes in SotO. Like a previous poster said, SotO was basically a sequel to a kiddy Turtles movie that never actually happened. That's the #1 glaring fault with film two - it tries to pick up where the first, dark, gritty, well written movie left off. But it could never do so, because of the execution, because of the nonexistent explanation of what happened to key characters like Casey Jones, the change from Hoag to Turco, the cruddy change in Turtle suits. Why did they so drastically change Donatello's look? It was just a huge fail for me. His bo staff was a kid's toy. The story with the origin of the ooze had potential but it was bastardized and straight up poorly executed. There's also a lot of carelessness in the production. For instance, when Tatsu starts busting stuff up in the junk yard, you clearly see this little punk who was lucky enough to get a spot in a Turtles film smiling like a fool because he couldn't control himself. And the film crew did not spot this? Ha.

TMNT III excelled with better story and plot, real character development for Michelangelo & Raphael, Casey was back, and there are truly comedic moments in that movie, especially with the honor guard and Casey back in NYC. Plus, who doesn't like Turtles in feudal Japan?

All in all, SotO is waaaay overrated, while TMNT III is way underrated.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #49
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Agree with Donnie. He pretty much summed up why I like this film.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #50
Ninjinister
無問題

After reading "Distractions" again, I couldn't help but think maybe Gramps/Mitsu/Yoshi were inspired in some way by Toshiro/Tai/Sakai? Granted, there are a LOT of differences there, including a diminished role by the eldest one of the triumvirate, the actual ASSIGNING of a role to the youngest, and the female getting to be kick-ass and actually wanting to marry the Daimyo's son in this case... but it does feel like an adaptation and the reflection of Tai being in love with Mike and Mike being in love with Mitsu also made me think of this movie....
Old 04-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #51
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I have always liked the movie.

But even folks who didn't care for it should at least admit it inspired some great action figure tie-ins! I loved playing with those removable face masks.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #52
Garfield
Hench Mutant

25 years holy monkeys. Yeah that sounds about right. I remember my older Brother took me to see this one.

I like this movie. Its my second favorite Ninja Turtles movie after the 1990 film.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #53
shihe
Hench Mutant

Yeah, there were many several moments for me in III.
Michaelangelo in the village, rescuing Yoshi, April taken to the Shogun's palace, the first showdown with Walker. Well, they're not all great, but they're memorable.

SotO I only remember mostly the final scenes: Super Shredder, Tokka+Razhar, Vanilla Ice, balloney fight, and a computer room. Which, in my head, is how I summarize the movie. Oh, and Keno.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #54
bwwd
Hench Mutant

I remember seeing poster for this when iwas a kid but i kinda didnt wanted to see it despite being trurtles fan, i think second film put me off a bit, tmnt movies were becoming more and more "parents friendly"
Old 06-17-2018, 02:01 AM   #55
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

I loved the film going a bit heavier on the Sci-Fi with the time travel, and I love that they went to feudal Japan (I love samurai stuff). Seeing the Turtles in samurai gear was great. The Turtles interactions with the villagers were great. Other than those few highlights, this is easily one of the weaker Turtles movies. For me, it has a firm grasp on the title of "Second Worst TMNT Film" right after the 2014 reboot.
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #56
pferreira
Foot Elite

Just want to add I almost had a photo taken today with Paige Turco at London Film & Comic Con but unfortunately the whole thing was cancelled which is sad. Oh well.

EDIT: someone uploaded a picture of her yesterday on the official LF&CC FB page for those who are curious. As you can see she has photos from TMNT III to sign. Not my photo so please feel free admin to delete the photo if you wish:

Okay now I didn't want to worry you guys before I got hold of some facts. I still don't know exactly what happened. As mentioned above she had a photo session today which I was supposed to attend however she didn't because as I was told she didn't make it on time due to the disruption in London traffic caused by the bike riding competition that we get every year.

Fine. Okay. Now apparently according to numerous sources on the FB page for LF&CC an incident happened yesterday which is the reason she didn't turn up today for her photo session. I say numerous sources because there's at least four things that apparently happened which everybody swears by actually happened:

- apparently someone mentions she collapsed due to low sugar levels, a call was made to bring her a chocolate bar (which would mean she's diabetic)

- someone was told by her she had food poisoning which is the reason she collapsed

- someone swears it was an attendee that collapsed and not Paige

- someone was told by her apparently yesterday she's been suffering huge anxiety symptoms

Now of course none of this adds up. If she had food poisoning I wasn't aware it was responsible for low sugar levels and even if that was the case why would you get someone who has food poisoning a chocolate bar of all things? Problem is all four of these stories are held as what really happened, at least three are fake news. For some reason it seems most likely it was her attendee that collapsed but can't rule out it was Paige. Anyway something happened. With everyone having strong recollections of being right I doubt I will be able to get further answers unless one of you guys are in contact with her via social media.

If you guys want to read what happened (because for all you know I might be making this up, I'm a stranger online after all) then head over here and scroll done to the post about Paige's photo session being cancelled:

https://www.facebook.com/LondonFilmandComicCon/

Last edited by pferreira; 07-29-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #57
Prowler
Emperor

Like TNM, history has been getting much kinder for TMNT III in the last few years. Both are no longer the nadirs of the TMNT property like they used to be. They're still not good products, but Bay films are even worse and more modern. The Bay Turtles stuff have hurt the property more than TMNT III and TNM did. Not that many people outside of older TMNT fans sem to remember TMNT III anymore, while most remember the original movie and even SOTO(I guess because of Vanilla Ice?) still. TNM is even less remembered. It's like one of those 90s turds that people won't remember or maybe even know of until they see some article online mentioning it in the list. I mean, how many of you still remember Mortal Kombat Special Forces, for example? Or Mythologies: Sub-Zero? And in case you do, now go ask to your average person out there or gamers who aren't huge MK fans if they know of or remember those games.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #58
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Like TNM, history has been getting much kinder for TMNT III in the last few years. Both are no longer the nadirs of the TMNT property like they used to be. They're still not good products, but Bay films are even worse and more modern. The Bay Turtles stuff have hurt the property more than TMNT III and TNM did.
I will play Mr Devil's Advocate here and say TNM probably did worse because it didn't revitalise the franchise for a new audience. Whatever problems fans have with the PD movies they did help bring in a new audience who didn't grow up with the original 90s movies.

In the same way I grew up with the FW series and 90s movies, they'll have grown up with the Nick CG series and the PD movies. Not saying the latter two are better quality but to some younger fans they will be because what I liked back in the 80s won't cut it for many youngsters today...unfortunately...
Old 03-24-2019, 02:50 AM   #59
Chet
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
I've always loved the illustrated poster art.
Yeah, it's pretty nice, that "without a clue" part is unfortunate tho.

As to how to make the movie better, ancient Foot Clan is pretty much the only way to tie it into the first two movies, since we don't have reincarnation or Utroms.

It might be an interesting dilemma for the Turtles to decide whether to help the innocent villagers fight off the Foot or not, because if they defeat the Foot, Yoshi will never go to New York, and the Turtles will never meet Splinter.

Last edited by Chet; 03-24-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote