The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #1401
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

The hostility here is off the charts. Somebody should take a break from the internet and get themselves sorted.

I thought bullying wasn't tolerated.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #1402
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The idea that mouse-canon Leia was never properly trained in the Force makes me a sad panda.
You would think more women would be upset about it when you consider the real reason that is. Fisher didn't want a huge role, that's true... that didn't mean she couldn't be an experienced Jedi. She was rendered a non-Jedi because making her a full-fledged Jedi would make Luke less special and the race to find him (this is what the opening crawl of TFA says) less meaningful in the story. If that doesn't make the Bechdel people fired up, I'm not sure what would, and it's absolutely true.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #1403
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You would think more women would be upset about it when you consider the real reason that is. Fisher didn't want a huge role, that's true... that didn't mean she couldn't be an experienced Jedi. She was rendered a non-Jedi because making her a full-fledged Jedi would make Luke less special and the race to find him (this is what the opening crawl of TFA says) less meaningful.
i don't think they even thought that much about it.

Leia lead the rebellion in the OT, thus, that was her role here. they ALL had the same roles, except luke who regressed further.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #1404
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
You would think more women would be upset about it when you consider the real reason that is. Fisher didn't want a huge role, that's true... that didn't mean she couldn't be an experienced Jedi. She was rendered a non-Jedi because making her a full-fledged Jedi would make Luke less special and the race to find him (this is what the opening crawl of TFA says) less meaningful in the story. If that doesn't make the Bechdel people fired up, I'm not sure what would, and it's absolutely true.
So you still don't know what the Bechdel test is, huh?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #1405
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
So you still don't know what the Bechdel test is, huh?
I do. Why?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #1406
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
I do. Why?
I guess that for some gender critical fans, having female-female relationships on display that are affirming/"realistic" (i.e. Leia/Holdo) > the idea of Leia kicking ass as a fully trained Jedi. Apparently Holdo appears in a current tie-in novel as a friend Leia meets years before TFA.

I still don't see why we couldn't have had both, though. Maybe Han could have become the Rebel leader, completing his character's change from mercenary to selfless leader, and Leia would have taken over the new Jedi order after Luke lost his mojo. Maybe that change would be what eventually drove them apart and estranged them further from Ben/Kylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 01-22-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #1407
Sumac
Banned

I kind of agree that characters sort of "froze" into roles they had back in the OT. Which what usually happens when someone tries to make a continuation pandering to the fans of original work.

In that light, prequels, for all their shortcomings don't look so bad now.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #1408
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most sequel series have that problem though. For Dragonball fans they can look at Super, Goku and Vegeta regressed to their pre-Buu saga personalities just to keep the series going.

I think that happens with any continuation of a franchise that ended a long time ago, so it's not only Star Wars here. Probably doesn't help matters the current people writing were the original kid/teen fans who grew up with it, so it sort of has a "published fanfiction" mentality to it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #1409
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The Last Jedi got 4 nominations for the 2018 Oscars, these are the categories that you can always expect a Star Wars movie to get nominated for.

Best Original Score
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Visual FX
Old 01-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #1410
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Makes sense. All that stuff was good.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #1411
Vegita-San
Emperor

last three maybe.

but not really the first one.

then again, modern movie scores are so bland, maybe it was the least bland and somehow stood out.

although I AM glad they actually g ave Wonder woman an actual theme. that alone should have gotten a nod.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #1412
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I kind of agree that characters sort of "froze" into roles they had back in the OT. Which what usually happens when someone tries to make a continuation pandering to the fans of original work.

In that light, prequels, for all their shortcomings don't look so bad now.
not in the EU books.

Everyone evolved. and responded to the challenges in interesting ways. I especially liked the side detour they gave han, after Anakin was killed (IIRC) where he kind of went rogue for a while to get away from it all. if i'm remembering right, it was a fun side venture.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #1413
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most sequel series have that problem though. For Dragonball fans they can look at Super, Goku and Vegeta regressed to their pre-Buu saga personalities just to keep the series going.

I think that happens with any continuation of a franchise that ended a long time ago, so it's not only Star Wars here. Probably doesn't help matters the current people writing were the original kid/teen fans who grew up with it, so it sort of has a "published fanfiction" mentality to it.
Definitely.
But SW had an Extended Universe which took characters in various directions.

I am not saying Sequels should have followed those directions, but at least creators could do something more creative than basically bringing characters 20 years later and doesn't change them from OT one bit.
With the seemingly exception for Luke, which still had repeated they way of Obi-Wan and Yoda.

I mean, they were so many ideas and things that could be used and they opted for the least exciting and least creative option possible. It's really disappointing.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #1414
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
that's character assassination.
Character assassination is deliberately and falsely trying to harm someones good reputation.

Whatever your opinion on the direction of fictional characters, it's not character assassination.

Quote:
Also I don't know what else people expected of Leia? She's defending the Rebels like she should, what else did you expect?
It's also what she's always been doing in any form of post-RotJ fiction. The only thing I can remember her stepping up for force training over other duties was in an Infinities comic where Luke died during Empire Strikes Back and someone had to carry the torch. In the EU and such, she chose to be a politician and work on establishing the New Republic, which is absolutely a choice she would make, especially given she already had experience. Aside from her blood family history, which she didn't even know until Return, the Jedi didn't mean much to her. She'd been more involved in the political life led by her adopted father, who was once a senator.

Quote:
I kind of agree that characters sort of "froze" into roles they had back in the OT.
I think that's definitely true of Han and it's something I did not like about Force Awakens. It seems too stupidly simple to just have him be a smuggler again rather than redefine his role in the universe after becoming a damn general and a war hero.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #1415
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If they didn't want to have Han be General Han Solo, old war hero of the Republic (like he was in the EU) they could have done something else, anything else but make him a damn smuggler again. Maybe he goes all Jane Goodall on Kashyyyk, tending to sick Wookiees or something, or in some kind of New Republic Intelligence.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #1416
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Character assassination is deliberately and falsely trying to harm someones good reputation.

Whatever your opinion on the direction of fictional characters, it's not character assassination.
it may be a fictional character, but I think the description fits PERFECTLY.

they ruined lukes destiny so rey could be special.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #1417
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
it may be a fictional character, but I think the description fits PERFECTLY.

they ruined lukes destiny so rey could be special.
The movie literally ends with Luke Skywalker inspiring the galaxy one more time in a way no single person in this universe has before. Children are enacting his last stand with homemade figures. He's a legend.

His reputation could not possibly be higher.

Quote:
If they didn't want to have Han be General Han Solo, old war hero of the Republic (like he was in the EU) they could have done something else, anything else but make him a damn smuggler again. Maybe he goes all Jane Goodall on Kashyyyk, tending to sick Wookiees or something, or in some kind of New Republic Intelligence.
Yeah, Hans situation was absolutely the laziest thing done in the new trilogy. It also ended up making Han look kind of pathetic. Taking what we've learned and saw in all the films into account, Han's a pretty garbage smuggler.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #1418
Vegita-San
Emperor

Not really.

There is ZERO way that anyone would even have even heard of his accomplishments. ESPECIALLY that fast.

That ending was so badly tacked on, it made zero sense.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #1419
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post

Yeah, Hans situation was absolutely the laziest thing done in the new trilogy. It also ended up making Han look kind of pathetic. Taking what we've learned and saw in all the films into account, Han's a pretty garbage smuggler.
I was always under the assumption that was entirely the point.
Maybe that's why I don't see Han and Chewie returning to their old line of work in the wake of the loss of his son to be that unsurprising a character turn.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #1420
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Not really.

There is ZERO way that anyone would even have even heard of his accomplishments. ESPECIALLY that fast.

That ending was so badly tacked on, it made zero sense.
Okay, now you're just straight up trying to negate what we actually saw in the film because it does not fit your views and coming up with any excuse for why it's not valid.

It was in the film. That denouement could also have been months later. If you don't like the film, fine - I don't think any Star Wars film has been universally loved since A New Hope - but let's not pretend the film didn't do things it actually did because it's inconvenient to your argument.

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw