The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #7021
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
LOL, Mission Impossible 2. Was this movie intended to be a parody? It felt nothing like a Mission Impossible movie and almost like some crazy John Woo knock off (which it was), with Tom Cruise jumping around in the air in slow motion, huge bike racing scenes clashing together, gun fights with bullets going Matrix style, and some ridiculous mask scenes. And Tom Cruise's long hair in this movie was even more laughable.

What the hell did I just watch?
Sounds about like my years-old vague memories of it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 AM   #7022
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sounds about like my years-old vague memories of it.
It's weird as hell. The first half of the movie is slow as hell, but then the second half goes crazy action mode. Tom Cruise was also channeling Keeanu Reeves in this movie, it came out in the year 2000 a year after The Matrix hit in 1999.

You can probably find the action scenes on youtube. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a parody.

Weird thing is the first movie is so grounded, this movie felt so tonally off.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #7023
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's weird. I've seen all of the MI movies except for the last one. Yet I remember the climate when the first and second dropped... everyone was very irate that Cruise took what was a team thing in the old TV show (which I've never seen) and made it a Cruise thing. After the first 15 minutes of movie #1 killed his whole team and that was that. Sure, there's been varied half-hearted measures to bring it back to a team thing, but it apparently remains Cruise Trumps All.

I feel this weird sort of obligation to... I won't say hate, but not be too keen on all of the Cruise movies since because of that. Yet there's now this dichotomy now where... this vast amount of years has passed and there's been nothing but Cruise M:I movies, and people can discuss whether #2 or #6 was the best one... I dunno. At what point does the Cruise M:I stuff supplant the old, or at least equivalent it? I'm not sure.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 AM   #7024
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Just watched Homeward Bound The Incredible Journey for the first time in a really long time. That Ending always gets me to cry when Shadow limps over the hill to Peter. Its one of the few movies that gets me.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #7025
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I saw 6 movies and 2 short movies this weekend:

Your name. (Kimi no na wa) - An anime about a boy and a girl who occasionally switch bodies. A bit long, but beautiful story and animation.

The Belko Experiment - Office workers are put in a battle royale type of situation. A very run–of–the–mill plot for an action/horror movie, but executed well.

The Defiler - A short movie about a mother, who breaks out of prison to find her daughter, maybe?? It managed to keep me entertained solely by its vulgarity.

Raw - A vegetarian girl goes to a vet school, where she discovers an unusually strong appetite for meat. Had high hopes for this one, but the movie only had me thinking "what's the point in any of this?"

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - A coroner and his son perform an autopsy to an unknown lady, but things start to get weird in the morgue. My favorite movie of the evening, really well built atmosphere and the characters acted believably in their situation.

Lyst - A writer, who has suffered traumatic experiences, starts to lose her mind in her apartment. Worst movie of the evening and way too long for one that had so little going on. The setting was nice in its claustrophobicness, but apart from one or two interesting bits, it felt like a waste of time.

Elää ja Kuolla Kouvolassa - Another short movie with heavy 80's influence. Mostly just funny, cheaply made stunts, effects and dialogue.

Raw Force - Magnificent 80's action schlock, recommended for everyone!!!

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #7026
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The last movie I saw in theaters was Born in China. I liked seeing how the different kind of animals live in the Chinese wilderness. John Krasinski also did a terrific job narrating it.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #7027
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Star Wars Rogue One
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #7028
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I saw a documentary called Eagle Huntress, which is a nice story although as it turns out, it's only sort'a kind'a a documentary. It's about a 13 year old girl in Mongolia who is learning the art of eagle hunting from her father.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of it was staged for the camera, and later I discovered that the central premise is a little misleading. It implies that the girl is the first female eagle hunter, when in fact there are quite a few, but the filmmakers just decided not to approach any of them. Women have been hunting with Eagles for a long time in that part of the world apparently.

The fact that anyone hunts with golden eagles was news to me, so I found the whole thing really interesting. I don't know much about Mongolia, so it was nice to learn something about it, and it is a beautiful looking movie. The girl is really charming too.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #7029
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - it was great, but could have been a bit longer. It pretty much had everything I thought it would, but was short on surprises.

Spoiler:
The most surprising thing was how emotional the ending was, and it did leave me feeling good in a melancholic way. What I disliked the most, was how easy it was to defeat Ego, him being a celestial and all. Ego was a good villain, but I wanted to see him in action as a whole planet.

Through the Golden Door

Last edited by AT-Man; 04-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #7030
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Doesn't guardians of the galaxy come out May 5th? Or is it a release date for a different country?

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:30 AM   #7031
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
Doesn't guardians of the galaxy come out May 5th? Or is it a release date for a different country?
It's usually a week earlier in Nordic countries with these bigger MCU movies, so here it was released on Wednesday.

Through the Golden Door
Old 04-27-2017, 04:36 AM   #7032
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Area 51 from 2015.

It's a found Footage movie about a group of friends that tries to break into Area 51 and film the place. "hijinks" ensues.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #7033
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
It's usually a week earlier in Nordic countries with these bigger MCU movies, so here it was released on Wednesday.
Thanks for the answer.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #7034
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
It came out here on Thursday - I saw it this afternoon and it was great.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #7035
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I saw a couple of animated films on my flight:

1. Wall E (fantastic film, loved it)
2. Beauty and the Beast 1991 (saw it since I recently watched the new version and it still holds up to this day, I'd say I like it even more than the new version due to the classic feel despite the new one having a more developed story)
3. Winnie the Pooh (a great classic)
4. Fantastic Mr. Fox (huge fan of the book so decided to check this out: It wasnt perfect but still really good/entertaining)
5. Ice Age Collision Course (this movie was BAD, do not watch it. It had some laughs, but I felt like crying due to one of my favourite franchises being brutally destroyed. Why can't there be an Ice Age film like the 1st? Does every new film have to make an unfunny joke every 2 seconds?)
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #7036
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Highlander - I know I've seen it about 20 years ago, but boy, oh boy, I didn't remember it being that good! Clancy Brown steals the whole damn movie.

Highlander 2: The Quickening - I think it was the director's cut and, honestly, I didn't think it was bad at all. Some plot elements were just pretty stupid, but I enjoyed watching it.

Through the Golden Door
Old 04-29-2017, 10:18 PM   #7037
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
And speaking of BAAAAD- just watched half of a VERY cheesy and obviously low-budget movie made in Denmark in 1961 called Reptilicus. (I came across it on a "new" channel we've never seen before- and it was about half-way into the movie. But I clearly didn't miss anything....) I think I may have seen this once before because some of it sounded or looked vaguely familiar. But this was Denmark's first and ONLY monster movie for good reason. It was so bad it was funny! Horrible effects with the cheap Ray Harryhousen rip-off style stop-motion for the giant monster, combined with a cheesy bright lime-green "splash effect" at the camera/screen for the monster's "acid spit", horrible dialog ("fire point blank from very close range!" Um, Whut?! ), plot holes galore, and an abrupt and confusing ending. Did they even destroy the creature or just leave it lying in the middle of the city drugged??!! Not to mention leaving it open for a sequel that was clearly NEVER going to happen after such a stinker. I actually laughed at some of the glaringly bad mistakes- like claiming to need at least a gallon of the sedative drug they used to neutralize it(you're gonna need a LOT more than that folks!) and then pouring it from- a standard 1-liter beaker.... Yeah, it was THAT bad!!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #7038
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Green splash effect? Sounds like you saw the American dub version of Reptilicus where the monster could spit acid. I've heard the US version of the movie is near unwatchable.

While we're on subject of bad movies. I just finished BvS Dawn of Justice, what a inchoherent mess of a movie with some really dumb acting characters. Had some cool moments, action was engaging, albeit this Batman is a lot less subtle about killing people compared to previous Live-Action Batmans. Hated the branding thing, just dumb. Most of the TDKR moments used was spiffy.

Lex Junior's scenery chewing kinda grew on me, that dude clearly had a blast filming.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #7039
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Highlander 2: The Quickening - I think it was the director's cut and, honestly, I didn't think it was bad at all. Some plot elements were just pretty stupid, but I enjoyed watching it.
You've just lost all credibility.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #7040
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Planet Zeist, best creative decision... and that McCloud and Ramirez are magically married or something.

Tags
movies