The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 10-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #121
Meow
Stone Warrior

Oh-Aw-OH man what a bummer :// Being precautious is definately worth the hazzle as we see in this case, good move

All the best from my end here and may you not encounter more problems *turtlethumbup*
Old 10-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #122
Vegita-San
Emperor

If you can get an interview with john erwin, all is forgiven
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #123
Powder
So tired of this place

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you guys are able to get your spot fixed up with relative ease.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #124
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Condolences on the loss of your studio! Glad that no one was hurt and that your backups ensure the preservation of your archival and WIP footage!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #125
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

So sorry to hear about your studio!

Glad that precautions were made and you didn't lose any material, though. Will insurance cover damaged gear, at least?
Old 10-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #126
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Turtle View Post
That is roughly where we are focusing, that era of the down time and then moving into the new boom we are still experiencing today. We got some great new stuff about those years and stories from Kevin on this last round of filming. We are still planning on heading East to see Peter again for this film as well.

The reasons we have been so quiet on social media and on here these days is that sadly our studio burnt down a few weeks ago. Now before anyone worries that we lost any content, we take all the necessary precautions to insure content is spread out between different physical locations. That and the control room did not burn, only the main area where all the gear and sets are stored. There was a lot of smoke damage to the electronics however, so we are working very hard to back those up and start re-building again.

I have also jumped head-first into the post process on our He-Man documentary, which should be coming out soon I believe, I really need to hurry up and get that edit done! We should be following that up with the finishing on Turtle Power II if all goes as planned. Thanks everyone for staying with us and giving us your thoughts and feedback, it is much appreciated!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps80v1ujlj.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...pszormezoj.jpg
That's awful, I'm so scared of that happening to me, I know they're just stuff but it would break me if I lost everything I have... Glad that no one was hurt though, that's the most important thing, hope you landed on your feet
Old 11-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #127
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

I hate to hear about the fire! Hopefully everyone is safe. Three cheers for off-site data backup.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #128
pferreira
Foot Elite

I think as fans we're all lucky nothing really important was destroyed and nobody hurt.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #129
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Yeah holy crap, dude.
That sucks, but I'm so glad no one was hurt!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #130
Raph
Mad Scientist

Oh damn, that's awfull. Wishing you the best with everything man. Glad no one got injured!
Old 11-05-2016, 01:06 AM   #131
magidkaiser
Foot Soldier

I would like to see something about the music in original cartoon and classic movies too
Old 11-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #132
Turtle Flakes
Mouser

Turtle Power!

Hey guys! Rob here from Turtle Flakes podcast! My buddy Josh and I were fortunate enough to snag producer Isaac Elliot-Fisher for a while this morning, and we talked about the original Turtle Power doc and part two. We had a blast!

Here's the link if you would like to give it a listen, my friends: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/t...15_54_32-08_00

P.S. I hope to start posting a whole lot more this year. It's awesome to see so many passionate TMNT fans discussing all things Turtles!

Cowabunga!
Turtle Flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #133
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Flakes View Post
Hey guys! Rob here from Turtle Flakes podcast! My buddy Josh and I were fortunate enough to snag producer Isaac Elliot-Fisher for a while this morning, and we talked about the original Turtle Power doc and part two. We had a blast!

Here's the link if you would like to give it a listen, my friends: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/t...15_54_32-08_00

P.S. I hope to start posting a whole lot more this year. It's awesome to see so many passionate TMNT fans discussing all things Turtles!

Cowabunga!
Listening now. Awesome so far. Gonna have to tune in to you guys more frequently.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #134
Turtle Flakes
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Listening now. Awesome so far. Gonna have to tune in to you guys more frequently.
Thanks so much for listening! Yeah, it was a blast. Isaac was really generous with his info. I guess what I'm excited for the most, aside from Eastman and Laird returning for this part, but I'm fired up to see some more light shed on the 2003 series and volume 4 of the comics. I was a huge fan of both.
Turtle Flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #135
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

The thing I hope for the most with Turtle Power II is that you guys don't forget who your audience is, who is actually going to pay to watch this.

That was my major issue with the first documentary. It felt like there was a drive to get it over with and get it out there and the choices that were made based on what I presume was distributor notes, it seemed the intent changed in order to create a documentary that appealed to the casual Walmart shopper as opposed to die hard fans who had been waiting years for the definitive documentary and would have gladly watched a three hour plus documentary on their favorite franchise. (Not saying it had to be that length)

Pace is just as important in documentary filmmaking as it is in all other forms of storytelling, but when the people who had an active interest in your documentary -- the fans who pre-ordered it, sought it out, and were sold on it since day one; not the Joe Schmoe who, let's be honest, probably bought Trashy Danny Trejo Zombie Film #7: Death of the Brain Cells instead -- experience blanket statements, where the film drops interesting tidbits and factoids only to move on with little to no enlightenment -- then the pace is too fast. That passerby effect is not good for documentaries. It's like having a hamburger with just the buns. Where's the meat?

I mean this constructively. I sensed a great, informative documentary in Turtle Power, but I am still waiting for that documentary. And I hope Part II isn't compromised.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 11-27-2016 at 04:52 PM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #136
Powder
So tired of this place

Viacom made that call, not them. I know where you're coming from & I share the sentiment but I don't think it's at all fair to blame it on Isaac & the others.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #137
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Viacom made that call, not them. I know where you're coming from & I share the sentiment but I don't think it's at all fair to blame it on Isaac & the others.
I am not blaming them. I even said "what I presume was distributor notes." I figured it was Paramount Home Media and I feared that was going to be the case when that was first announced. I've seen it happen far too often. I am saying I hope Turtle Power II isn't compromised the way the first film was, and I am hoping, praying, pleading that Isaac & company are able to avoid that this time.

I am hoping that Turtle Power II is to Turtle Power I as Crystal Lake Memories is to His Name is Jason. Sadly, I feel like I might have to pre-state this, because one reply in and someone has already gotten the wrong impression with one aspect of my post: I am not saying Turtle Power II should rehash what was covered in the first film nor that it should be 8 hours long.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 11-27-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #138
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah, I just mean it's a bit harsh to say they forgot who their audience is or whatever when it's out of their hands. I think there's a lot they'd like to say but can't, ya know? It seems pretty clear they were making something for 'drome-tier fans initially. Hopefully the sequel will excel where it's predecessor did not.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #139
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yeah, I just mean it's a bit harsh to say they forgot who their audience is or whatever when it's out of their hands. I think there's a lot they'd like to say but can't, ya know? It seems pretty clear they were making something for 'drome-tier fans initially. Hopefully the sequel will excel where it's predecessor did not.
It's not meant to be harsh. It's just stating the reality of things. Somewhere on the ladder, the decision was made that changed the intent of the documentary. The audience it tried to appeal to and the audience it did appeal to were completely different and that hurt the end result.

I do hope the filmmakers don't get the wrong impression. I am sure Paramount Home Media is to blame. The thing is, though, it is a valid criticism, something that is meant constructively, and something that did affect the first film.

I just hope Paramount Home Media is out of the picture for Turtle Power II and that it is not a forced partnership simply because Viacom has the rights to TMNT and that maybe crowdfunding can help avoid that if it is avoidable at all.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #140
Canadian Turtle
Mad Scientist

In response to some of your criticisms and concerns regarding the outcome of both the first documentary and the potential outcome of the second, I would like to take a moment to hopefully address some of these and other points that have been made over the years.

First and foremost as filmmakers we know that it is impossible to make everyone happy, no matter what, no matter how hard you try someone will always be disappointed.

I have stated on this forum and many times on other mediums that making these films is not cheap, it is very expensive in both time and money, and I will say it again, this was our own money that we invested. Over the years I excitedly promoted our film on these threads and spoke of many things we captured along our journeys, I am sorry that in my naïveté I may have over promised the release of all that material potentially at once. I think we always knew that these films would need to appeal to a mass audience. Filmmaking is a business and as a business you need to recoup losses and hopefully make some money to live on. Filmmaking is also an art form, and as too many people who work in the creative industries know, we are often asked to deliver that art form for free or very little pay. Believe me I have worked professionally as a freelance cinematographer for over 10 years, I could buy a mansion and six cars for how much work I have done for free. One doesn't ask their plumber to replace their toilet because it will look good on his or her resume. Well at least I will go to my grave with an awesome resume.

I don't mean to complain, I love what I do and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, I am just trying to make a few points and hopefully continue a respectful and constructive dialogue. The points that many of you have raised are perfectly valid, and I would say for the most part delivered respectfully. Even if I do not agree with some of what people are saying I hope we can meet in the middle and see eye to eye on a few points. I will address a few of them specifically here.

The length of these films is often the first thing that the elite fans complain about, they want more than what is there. In a way I will take this as a compliment, as it is always better to leave people wanting more of a good thing. Many of these fans specifically reference long format documentaries such as the ones exploring some of the 80s horror franchises that many of us love. While I do not know any specifics of those productions, and I do agree that TMNT could sustain a long format film or film series, it is a simple game of economics and distribution opportunities. There are simply not enough fans to support a long format release as a stand alone product. There will always need to be a film that as one might say "will be sold in Walmart to random people". The massive costs to produce this content would result in a price tag that I am sure many of you would not be able to pay if we made these films only for the elite fans. When we started these documentaries there were something like 3,000 fans on this forum, even with the 12,000 that are here now, and even if all of those fans bought the film (which will never be the case, it will always be a percentage) it still wouldn't come close to covering the cost of actually making the film.

Part of the problem in this regard is that, as some of you may or may not know the rights for the various turtle medias are spread around between many different parties, most notably the 1990 movie. I can't even tell you what that was like or how expensive it was to even be able include a few seconds of clips and to show you the one deleted scene that we were able to include in the documentary. Another example would be the original cartoon theme song. If you listen carefully, and some of you may have caught it, the version of that song in the documentary is not the original track. For many legal reasons we were told at the very last second after the film had already been delivered that we were not allowed to use that original song. We all felt however that it would be a disservice to the fans to use (as they were suggesting) a completely random and unrelated track in its place. With 10 hours to turn it around we paid a substantial fee to the rights holders for the clearance to re-record the song ourselves, which we did and if you listen carefully that is me singing on the chorus and yelling all the turtle lines like "Give me a break!"

Some people were concerned when I brought up the idea of a crowd funding campaign to support the release of the second film and in doing so would provide an opportunity for any of you to attain the bonus materials that were left out of the first documentary. I think that people felt cheated somehow in that we had promised the release of that material for many years and that it should have been included in the product they already purchased. Where I agree it would have been awesome for it to show up there, the simple reason for it not doing so was time and money. To produce and legally clear the bonus material is still an expensive process that has not been completed yet, so if there wasn't a way to sell that content via a Kickstarter campaign or otherwise, it would't make financial sense to do so. I hope that makes sense.

I am sorry to single you out, but to say that the audience was missed with this film is not accurate. The people that actually paid for this documentary were many hundreds of thousands all around the world who were more than likely casual fans on the street, or people who saw it on Netflix or Hulu, or iTunes or on demand. This is the only way we feel that content like this can exist at a high quality level, and to take years to research and dig for stuff that in many cases non of you have ever seen, no matter how much of a fan you are. I can say with confidence that there was content you could have not known about and could never have seen in that film. I know fandom is a funny thing, believe me, I am also a super fan, so often I hear people say what a movie or a comic book is not or what they want it to be, without saying what it has or it is. While I encourage and even ask you to make suggestions and criticisms, which you have, just remember we can only do our best and sometimes we might not get it right.

Ultimately I think you will find what you are looking for in the extended versions and bonus materials we have ready to polish and release. The "Ultimate Fan Edition" type product would have always been something we would have sold separately from a "more commercial" release of the film. We very much intend on delivering that content in some way and we hope that we would have your support on a crowd funding campaign or something similar when releasing it. There is an awesome story to be shared here, with a ton of rich content that expands and explore the ideas that we started to explore in the first film, bonus materials will do that. Lets work together to get it out there for everyone to enjoy!

Thank you all for your kind help and support over the years, we literally couldn't have done it without you.
Canadian Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turtle power ii