The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #441
Leo656
The Franchise

It is pretty uncanny how often that happens.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #442
garsh
Foot Soldier

It seems like both of you, LeotheLateBloomer and Andrew NDB, got the wrong impression about what I was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh View Post
Ninja turtles, as a concept, is silly and appealing -- because -- they're turtle ninjas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
So is a man dressed in a bat costume. Can we please stop using this tired excuse? No offense btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You know what isn't silly? Crisler's Law.
You really think that applies?. What exactly do you guys think I'm trying to "excuse" or "refute"? Specifically I was just remarking about the likes of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well, realistically, the Turtles should still have some degree of limitation, due to the whole shell fused with the spine part limiting flexibility and probably shouldn't be able to compensate quite to that degree and be that good.
Quote:
Though it people would actually take into consideration that they're originally Sliders, not tortoises, and stop overdoing the size and bulk of the shell...
The point is not that "the premise is silly and therefore anything goes." The point was meant to be that some of the fundamental the logical fallacies are what makes the premise interesting and drew people to it.

The original movie demonstrates what I mean. It doesn't try too hard to justify the underlying gags, but it takes itself seriously enough to be meaningful, and stands up to its own internal logic. It might be the perfect balance.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:26 AM   #443
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Have ya considered that maybe you yourself missed that some people also find it fun to throw the logic wrench in there and over overanalyze the details, and are now the one taking the conversation too seriously?

Interesting conversation, though the only thing it has proved, a usual, is that preferences vary, as well as what we're willing to let slide (or not), such as their height, which I find interesting to hear.

Really though, had the PD films took a note from 2012 in giving them flatter slider-like shells it would have helped the size issue at least a little. But they also made them bulletproof, so you'd still get your logical fallacies.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-25-2020 at 09:38 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #444
miru
Mad Scientist

I do think the Turtles could lift a full-animation film, especially if they try to make it look like a comic book. Spidey and Lupin III have done this! Could they even try to push the envelope of demographics for CG movie design? Though I see why many would miss the live-action films of the series, but it’s understandable in the age of COVID to animate.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #445
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
He might be, but allegedly with Xavier and Magneto at least one of them will be black and at least one of them will be gay, because that's allegedly what Disney wants to do. At least that was the rumor the last time anyone spoke of it. If all of that happens but Wolverine gets to stay short, will you be altogether Happy or Sad?
My comment about Logan's height was in jest. Sure I'd like a comics accurate Wolverine and I like the idea that the turtles and Wolverine are short badasses but height isn't that important.

As for rumours that they want to turn Magneto and Professor X either black or gay I'd take that with a pinch of salt for now. It seems like a very obvious rumour deliberately designed to trigger people who complain about 'forced diversity' and whatnot.

If (and that's a big if) it happens I'd be very wary of it. Charles Xavier being black or gay I'd be okay with I suppose but Erik not being a Jewish holocaust survivor would be a serious knock to the character. I suppose he could be a gay Jewish holocaust survivor but since romance has never been a huge part of the character I don't think I see much of a point.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #446
AquaParade
Banned

I don't think those are legit rumors so much as fan speculation. Black, gay, doesn't really matter. What matters is that Eric has experienced prejudice and discrimination firsthand.

Although, yeah it'd be awful if they tried to equate modern lgbq struggles with that of Holocaust Survivors, or something, but I really don't see that happening
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #447
garsh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Have ya considered that maybe you yourself missed that some people also find it fun to throw the logic wrench in there and over overanalyze the details, and are now the one taking the conversation too seriously?
No WAY! All I was trying to say is it sounded like you were wanting to sort of diminish the turtle part so that the ninja part would make more sense, when not making sense is a large part of the fun. Like I said, though, that may have just been my own mistaken take-away. By all means carry on over-analyzing, that's what it's all about!

I didn't mean to come off serious!

By the way, though, bullet-proof shells isn't so bad to me. I can accept the stretch of credulity, since turtle shells are rigid and durable armor anyway, plus the characters are biologically altered after all. And the payoff is a built-in solution for dealing with the inevitable narrative conflict of the imbalance between fantasy melee weapons versus ubiquitous modern firearms. But wasn't their skin also bulletproof? I didn't watch either of those movies, just failed to avoid clips here and there. If so, bulletproof skin is too much for me.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #448
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh View Post
By the way, though, bullet-proof shells isn't so bad to me.
Shells? Bullets were bouncing off their SKIN in the 2014 movie.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:28 PM   #449
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, that sh*t was straight trash. Four Hulks, that's all that was. Nothing to do with TMNT at all.

I honestly wouldn't mind at all if everyone on the creative end of those movies ended up never working again and had to resort to burning copies of their own stupid ideas at night to stay warm. It'd serve them right.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:42 AM   #450
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

For most we don't see it even hitting them, but there is one shot of Raph taking bullets in both the thinner (and should be more vulnerable?) plastron AND his flesh I think, with, if I recall, a slow motion view of them coming back out of him. Pretty disturbing stuff right there.

edit: Here, I went looking for a gif, I'm not going to re-suffer this nightmare alone. (Okay I guess it wasn't slow motion, maybe a trailer was.)

Also found images. Raph is... made of tire rubber?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Whose idea was that, because it's just all kinds of creepy wrongness. And looks like two or three in his arms. Pardon me while I throw up.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-26-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:48 AM   #451
Leo656
The Franchise

It's NERF. Raphael is made of NERF.

You're up very late these days, young lady. You're not running with a bad crowd, are you? Dropping those marijuana pills down at the docks with those ne'er-do-well hoodlums who hang out down there?

Old 09-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #452
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol Nerf. Bullets don't rip through Nerf material??

Those metal bullet "nipples" though... (More nightmare fuel.) Placement is bit high, but come on, someone did that on purpose.

Haha, no. Game night with a long distance friend. (Though was annoyed and up later than intended because their system gave me a "warning" notice for "inappropriate language" for some stupid reason -- not a clue what it thought it flagged! -- so I might have still been up causing trouble. Just not sure how.)
Old 09-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #453
AquaParade
Banned

They're more like cafeteria chicken nuggets in Elementary school.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #454
Leo656
The Franchise

My school had bangin' nuggets. Although nothing compared to the chicken patties at the high school. I used to eat three of those a day. Mmmm.

Old 09-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #455
AquaParade
Banned

Our high school sold "Domino's" pizza (tmnt related, I'm on topic) except it looked different than what you'd usually expect from Domino's and tasted good, not like ****.
You could see the Domino's guy drop the pizza off, so it wasn't a scam. If Domino's always tasted that good, I'd be eating it right now. Always wondered what was up with that.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #456
Leo656
The Franchise

It's probably a regional thing. The Domino's over here is slammin'.

But I've definitely been to ones where it tasted like cardboard with sauce on it.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #457
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

You guys got delivery??

Only pizza schools here ever really had was the rectangular Ellio's type pizza.

And, also totally on topic, since Ellio's is a northeast brand and many might not be familiar, 2012 did a parody of it with a fictional brand named Hellio's.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #458
Leo656
The Franchise

Nah, when it came to pizza our school as well only got the Elio's-style. Which wasn't bad at all so long as they didn't over-cook it. Nobody wanted to be the kid to get that one blackened slice on the end of the tray, but we all had it happen at least once.

In high school they had "regular" pizza instead of the squares but I'm positive that was frozen as well. NJ school budgets aren't the greatest.

Could've been worse; at least I went to Monroe. I hear that in Newark and New Brunswick (aka "Brun'fus") kids just get a crack rock and a playing card with a frowny-face on it.

Old 09-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #459
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
lol Nerf. Bullets don't rip through Nerf material??

Those metal bullet "nipples" though... (More nightmare fuel.) Placement is bit high, but come on, someone did that on purpose.

Haha, no. Game night with a long distance friend. (Though was annoyed and up later than intended because their system gave me a "warning" notice for "inappropriate language" for some stupid reason -- not a clue what it thought it flagged! -- so I might have still been up causing trouble. Just not sure how.)
Can you imagine if Marbled-Nerf guns were a thing? Nerf guns that shoot out marbles! They'd get sued.

Edit: Wasn't there an episode of FW where their shells reflected bullets? Still a stupid idea as that's a cartoon.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 09-27-2020 at 03:21 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:27 AM   #460
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Nah, when it came to pizza our school as well only got the Elio's-style. Which wasn't bad at all so long as they didn't over-cook it. Nobody wanted to be the kid to get that one blackened slice on the end of the tray, but we all had it happen at least once.

In high school they had "regular" pizza instead of the squares but I'm positive that was frozen as well. NJ school budgets aren't the greatest.

Could've been worse; at least I went to Monroe. I hear that in Newark and New Brunswick (aka "Brun'fus") kids just get a crack rock and a playing card with a frowny-face on it.
School budgets in Jersey work like this:

Are you the football team? Here's a blank check.

Are you just about anything else? I think there's some change in between the cushions of the couch in the teacher's lounge.