The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Favorite IDW 'look'?

Okay, now that the IDW line has breached the 100 issue milestone we've had a number of iterations of the design and look of the characters executed by a plethora of artists and I wonder if you have a favorite?

Personally, I adore Michael Dialynas' take - especially the look and costumes he created for the turtles upon his return to the comic (#89, as I recall). Dialynas has a trim and precise style that is easy to read and he conveys emotion well. Also - and I'm not exactly sure what they are called - the addition of the colored arm/leg sleeves (each with their own 'style') is a neat evolution.

I look forward to Dialynas' return to the comics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCO001_1550103847 - Copy.jpg (103.2 KB, 174 views)
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

It's a tie between Santolouco and Campbell for me
Old 01-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor86 View Post
It's a tie between Santolouco and Campbell for me
I agree, both of them basically adopted the look of the 2012 TV series Turtles, in as the Turtles being of different heights and body builds but also included details such as Raphael having a scar in his plastron (Although not a crack) and Donatello having a gap tooth.

But by doing so they made the Turtles look inviting, people who only knew them from the 2012 series wouldn't feel out of place when reading the comics.

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 01-07-2020 at 09:35 AM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
Igglet

Probably Dialynas'. For one, I absolutely adore his art, but at the same time, the new designs with the armor and stuff, I felt like that was a very cool visual way of showing that the turtles have changed since they've first been introduced, they've grown older, they've evolved and so has their design.

Still, Santolouco holds a very special place in my heart, he's an incredibly close second.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Cory Smith. Basically Mateus' look, but with the Nick elements toned down.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So many good looks and I dig the armored looks, though I can't condone the adoption of the 2012 stuff -- gap tooth, goggles on Don just because, body types to suit their personality, etc..

And those orange stretch pants on Mikey look... wrong. They're like bright assless chaps, like he's ready to go to the bondage & discipline party. The "evening gloves" on him, too.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

I've never read the comic, but from what I've seen, I like Dan Duncan's design the most because it gets the fundamentals down, but they're too skinny and the gritting teeth on the covers makes the Turtles look a little too vicious.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And those orange stretch pants on Mikey look... wrong. They're like bright assless chaps, like he's ready to go to the bondage & discipline party. The "evening gloves" on him, too.
That's an ... interesting ... way to look at that particular costume.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharman View Post
That's an ... interesting ... way to look at that particular costume.
It's like the pants from here:

And the "evening gloves" from here:

Old 01-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

While Santolouco is, IMO, the most technically skilled artist, I increasingly disliked his interpretations of the Turtles themselves. They became more and more kiddified. I also don't like when they have stereotypical and dramatically different body structures.

I liked Dan Duncan's art a lot. I think that the books took on a bit more of a high calibre professional look later in the series though. I enjoyed Ben Bates' rendition of the Turtles, Cory Smith's art is great, and I REALLY liked Dialynas's--although I agree the outfits were a bit extra. I lol'd at the bondage party comment.

I think the look I like best is Campbell's, though, which is awesome. Particularly the newer issues where the Turtles look a little tougher than the Northhampton arc. I'm so excited!

Last edited by Rooish; 01-07-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's like the pants from here:

https://i.ibb.co/VtTDnD8/FDS45599ebay.jpg

And the "evening gloves" from here:

https://i.ibb.co/fQqdySF/HTB1-Nl8m-N...q6x-XFXXXj.jpg
Oh. My. Word.
I must have led a sheltered life!
Old 01-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #12
Michael Dialynas
Random Punk

Thanks guys!
Happy New Decade, as a kid of the 80's i'm super excited to see what the 20's give us with TMNT.

Ps
Man, those bondage pics killed me haha!
Michael Dialynas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Andrew wins the thread.

Bondage Mikey can never be unseen now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
While Santolouco is, IMO, the most technically skilled artist, I increasingly disliked his interpretations of the Turtles themselves. They became more and more kiddified. I also don't like when they have stereotypical and dramatically different body structures.
I agree entirely. I want him to draw everyone EXCEPT the Turtles.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Andrew wins the thread.

I agree entirely. I want him to draw everyone EXCEPT the Turtles.
So does that include the puttees which have been about before Dialynas' upgrade?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It's always the quiet ones.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

I can verify that Andrew has won many Internets.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Let me just add that while I readily and quickly produced said images, I am way too boring to be into any of that sort of stuff. Like, at all. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, I promise you. But I know a lot of people who walk a lot of walks of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dialynas View Post
Ps
Man, those bondage pics killed me haha!
I'm really sorry, man. But I had to do it. I dig all the other Turtles. I like the "wraps look" though a part of me wonders about the hygiene factor (look cool but... they're going to get funky in like 2 days and I'm not sure running their dirty laundry in the sewer water -- even if it's drainage and not actual sewage -- is going to do much). But that's not exclusive to any one take.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-07-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Sure Andrew, sure. Mr. "Me and my buddies get shot at by homeless guys and I describe it the exact same way I describe a trip to Taco Bell, with exactly as much enthusiasm." You're the most boring, vanilla motherf*cker I know. Right.
----------------------------

Visually, I don't mind the wraps/tape/whatever, but practically I kinda don't like it. Because I'm a wrestler, and all that kinda sh*t is just a gigantic, filthy, sweaty, time-consuming pain in the ass. I can't see it drawn in a comic book without knowing in my head exactly how long that sh*t takes to put on, and then later (try to) take off. Especially when it's THAT excessive, as is drawn on the Turtles. They've got at least a whole roll of tape going up and down ONE arm/leg, fer chrissakes! Looks "cool" and "badass"; in truth they can't bend at the elbow/knee and are gonna need industrial-strength medical scissors (or a chainsaw) to get that stuff off, later.

Is it a big deal? Nah, it's comics. "Looks over Function". But THAT "look" is one I'm intimately familiar with, so it irritates me more than it should. It's why I just wear wristbands that lace up. That sh*t is a nightmare. Lotta guys try it out because it "looks cool", but most of 'em just switch to wristbands because tape just plain suuuuucks.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #19
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Sure Andrew, sure. Mr. "Me and my buddies get shot at by homeless guys and I describe it the exact same way I describe a trip to Taco Bell, with exactly as much enthusiasm." You're the most boring, vanilla motherf*cker I know. Right.
----------------------------

Visually, I don't mind the wraps/tape/whatever, but practically I kinda don't like it. Because I'm a wrestler, and all that kinda sh*t is just a gigantic, filthy, sweaty, time-consuming pain in the ass. I can't see it drawn in a comic book without knowing in my head exactly how long that sh*t takes to put on, and then later (try to) take off. Especially when it's THAT excessive, as is drawn on the Turtles. They've got at least a whole roll of tape going up and down ONE arm/leg, fer chrissakes! Looks "cool" and "badass"; in truth they can't bend at the elbow/knee and are gonna need industrial-strength medical scissors (or a chainsaw) to get that stuff off, later.

Is it a big deal? Nah, it's comics. "Looks over Function". But THAT "look" is one I'm intimately familiar with, so it irritates me more than it should. It's why I just wear wristbands that lace up. That sh*t is a nightmare. Lotta guys try it out because it "looks cool", but most of 'em just switch to wristbands because tape just plain suuuuucks.
Excellent observation. Perhaps that's why one of the reasons PL advised the director of the 2007 animated film to keep it simple and just keep the basic, original comic book costume concept.
That said, I have to agree with you that it does look 'cool' regardless.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #20
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

As a whole, I've liked most of the different artists' interpretations, but I've got to say Santolouco, Campbell, and Bates are MILES ahead of everyone else that has done the book.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote