The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Which things do you miss from youtube?

Nowadays, what seems to be the most popular on youtube are fake and/or stupid prank videos, react videos, vlogs and drama between SJWs. Back in, let's say, 2007, what was popular was everyone trying to be come the next Angry Video Game Nerd. The "angry gamer" gimmick was the in thing back then among the video game community on yt. Other than that, I also remember Smosh being the most popular channel around with their parody videos of tv show openings and the Mortal Kombat theme. People making covers of songs was big then as well. You'd search for a song and the search results were full of "My nephew playing Beethoven!" videos.

Pre-google buyout youtube was also a gold mine for anime and cartoon streaming and wrestling videos since channels didn't get taken down so quickly due to copyright issues. I defintiley miss the days where youtube didn't take down videos as often.

Also, do you remember when you could rate yt videos with a 5-star system?

So, which things do you miss from youtube?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I only ever used youtube to watch official videos by companies who put trailers/E3 videogame gameplay, or to watch a clip from an old movie/tv show/cartoon, etc. that I wanted to see again.

I never watched anything from these so-called, "youtubers." I was already 20 by the time youtube started in 2005, so I was already out of the age range for this to catch on. I had no idea people even made money on youtube until like 2013 or so.

I just use youtube to watch "officially uploaded" clips from companies for movie trailers, videogame trailers, or stuff like that. I can't believe people waste their time watching your average Joe shmoe make a fool of themselves on youtube and find this entertaining.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I miss the ability to place videos where ever you wanted in a playlist. I wanted the ones that I made to have a certain transition, but the shuffle feature quietly disappeared despite its convinence.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Nothing, really. I don't get attached to **** like that. Youtube isn't a community to me; it's a video playing site.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm with Cure, youtube isn't a community to me. It's a place where people I like put stuff I enjoy. I don't tend to venture outside of that.

So I guess the only thing I miss is this one fanvid from Avatar that used M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes."

That thing was awesome.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
Powder
So tired of this place

All I miss is the time before they started shilling/censoring content.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Youtube shows you a selection of videos based on other videos you've already watched and/or liked, so the videos it suggests to me are things I'm more than likely interested in.

I was never a fan of "youtube personalities", so I never really watched videos like that so I don't miss them

MikeandRaph87, what is your issue with youtube playlists? To my knowledge you can still edit the order of playlists you make, or watch/listen to them on shuffle

and yeah, as far as online communities go, youtube is the worst. most comment sections are full of nothing but garbage
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

...only videos that were in my faves but were deleted from YouTube.

Trying to get fame on YouTube is pretty lame and annoying imo. I mean, if it happens because you've got a good thing going and you're that likeable, rather than actually trying to get lots of attention, great for you. The try hards however... I guess I technically miss when it wasn't a platform for the attention desperate.

Also, children on YouTube. Also frequently annoying. I miss when more parents would not have dared allow their child to be exposed online like that.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Things were better when YouTube wasn't so strict about copyrights. These days a lot of people are hit with claims and have to take down or edit their videos. So annoying.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Everything is basically the same. The ads before videos are annoying but it's nothing compared to tv.

I guess they've tightened up copyright but it's understandable if companies don't want multiple full episodes of thier shows up for free.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Things were better when YouTube wasn't so strict about copyrights. These days a lot of people are hit with claims and have to take down or edit their videos. So annoying.
Then they're uploading things they shouldn't be in the first place. Get over it.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #12
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Then they're uploading things they shouldn't be in the first place. Get over it.
Well not really, a good chunk of the times some of the videos get taken down despite being under fair use thanks to youtube's "Take down and ask questions" policy. Hell Teamfourstar got episode 59 taken down twice by Toei
Old 08-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #13
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
There are still issues regarding fair use.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
and there is no easy way to dispute them either.

sometimes I'll get a claim on something from someone i know doesn't own the music I use and I'll have to take the video down.

Others, like my turtle videos, there is no way to dispute that it's a fan made video, even though it is using official audio. and i'm 99% certain it was probably a bot going around doing it, not a live person. sigh.

I also miss the ability to replace videos. if you have an ongoing project, having to delete and re upload and loose the comments/ likes is annoying.
or if you want to update it later with fixes and changes

I never really cared for youtube personalities either.
there where a few i found mildly entertaining. The angry Video Game Nerd. Chad Vader. the kid who blew stuff up in microwaves. but other than that, i mostly found them to be annoying fame hogs that where not worth my time on. the earlier guys seem a bit more genuine in just having fun creating content, not fame imho.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I miss SpoonyOne creating content.

Fair Use is something that a Youtube content creator should get to know what it really means and how far it protects your stuff, fan creations are stepping on someones IP and that can have consequences if you overstep your boundaries. But the YT takedown system is so easy to exploit that groups like The Christiano Brother's have used it to shut down negative video reviews which got them sued by The Bible Reloaded guys.

So if you're under Fair Use and are being constantly harassed you can go to court with it, if you have the dough for the long and tedious legal process.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote