The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Who knows why bad guys do bad things? I'm sure we'll get a better picture of his motivations in the days ahead.

What I do know is that if that school hadn't had an actual countermeasure in place for an in progress shooting, we could've had as many or more victims as Florida.

It's sad to think about. This isn't as newsworthy as Florida because (the left narrative aside) nobody died... yet how isn't the saving of potentially so many lives not equally newsworthy as lives lost? Or important?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-21-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #22
sdp
-

Exception that proves the rule but we'll see this case be brought up every time another tragedy happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Who knows why bad guys so bad things?
Why is this only a major problem in the US?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That truly is the big question, I think. We've had guns here for a very long time... even actual assault rifles and automatic weapons were legal here once. Yet no school shootings then. Did we just suddenly see an upsurge of mental health issues in the last couple of decades?

The problem is complicated and multi-faceted, but it's ultimately societal, I think. There is no quick fix but it begins with good parenting. We are in an age where parents can just throw YouTube in front of the kids and walk away, and they can get fired up over any cause they find to fight for, or romanticize killers of the past and galvanize whatever state they're in with whatever they're going through (rough breakup, kids don't like me, blah blah). I don't have a great perspective into what teenagers go through nowadays in their teenage years but I suspect it is very different than what I knew... and not for the better in many ways.

Wrapping ourselves in a bubble of further legislation will do nothing.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-21-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:04 AM   #24
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
What is the rate of younger people (13-21 year olds) committing violent crimes in other countries compared with the US? I haven’t seen any statistics.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #25
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
What is the rate of younger people (13-21 year olds) committing violent crimes in other countries compared with the US? I haven’t seen any statistics.
"Its 4:03...I can't sleep...." Shinedown haha seriously I cant sleep

Here you go though
This is the national crime stat for 2016

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-20
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #26
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
"Its 4:03...I can't sleep...." Shinedown haha seriously I cant sleep

Here you go though
This is the national crime stat for 2016

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-20
Is that only US stats? I’m curious if the youth in America are more violent than other youth around the globe.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:50 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Is that only US stats? I’m curious if the youth in America are more violent than other youth around the globe.
The question is complex. I mean, I'm certain there is 30 countries where kids run in the street in packs violently mugging people freely everyday and it's not remotely newsworthy because it is so commonplace (I know this, actually), but that's hardly a valid comparison piece to the US. However, there is a large number of countries that have guns, like, everywhere, all the time, in almost all places (and we are talking actual assault rifles and more) and it's no big deal and there is 0 school shootings.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 AM   #28
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
The question is complex. I mean, I'm certain there is 30 countries where kids run in the street in packs violently mugging people freely everyday and it's not remotely newsworthy because it is so commonplace (I know this, actually), but that's hardly a valid comparison piece to the US.
Yeah can’t compare mugging to murder or attempted murder. I’d like to know the percent of murders or attempted murders in other countries that are committed by those under 21 years old. And how that number compares with the US.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:20 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah can’t compare mugging to murder or attempted murder. I’d like to know the percent of murders or attempted murders in other countries that are committed by those under 21 years old. And how that number compares with the US.
An inherent problem with this question is... the countries that have the most of such things, they're hardly keeping a tally. Or even publicly newsiszing anything. But it's happening. It's not even that hard to look up and see actual videos of such.

Which brings up another issue. We're a country that thrives in media. 300 networks starving for breaking or topical or politically aiding (with two competing sides, even) news stories. Do you think many other countries have anything remotely resembling this climate outside of maybe some parts of the UK?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:15 AM   #30
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Not really even the UK. You have three, maybe four national covering news networks (including the BBC obviously), and a lot of local news factions, but local news here is a byword for fluffy pieces to camera usually. Local interest stories, usually nothing hard hitting, but sometimes campaigns and protests that affect local residents and the such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Austin has been dealing with a series of package bombs, using several different methods of detonation and/or delivery. Started with boxes at people's houses, then trip wires, and now they are actually having them shipped. Several people have been injured, and two have died, yet it doesn't seem to be getting any coverage except local news.....
I certainly heard about it because it's been covered here in the UK...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43453237
Old 03-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #31
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Oddly enough, Fox News channel didn't seem to be covering it- until this morning, and then only because he was caught and blew himself up rather than be arrested. That is literally the first coverage I've seen nationally. Even the local news only gave it minimal coverage until a couple of days ago, which is strange, to be sure. I guess shooters warrent more attention than bombers? I dunno.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #32
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The ever dreaded social justice corner of the internet has been covering it since it began, because of the first four bombs same to target prominent Black families.

Curious who the suspect was, will they to have had a history of domestic abuse?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #33
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Oddly enough, Fox News channel didn't seem to be covering it- until this morning, and then only because he was caught and blew himself up rather than be arrested. That is literally the first coverage I've seen nationally. Even the local news only gave it minimal coverage until a couple of days ago, which is strange, to be sure. I guess shooters warrent more attention than bombers? I dunno.....
Yeah I am pretty annoyed I have not seen CNN or MSNCB cover it all. I have only seen Fox covering it. But I could have just tuned into Fox at the right time and the other two at the wrong time. But thankfully they have appeared to have found the perpetrator.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So another angry young white guy has been trying to blow up my fellow citizens for the past few weeks.

We got him this morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...led/ar-BBKuTIY

It's not a gun problem, it's a people problem.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #35
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So another angry young white guy has been trying to blow up my fellow citizens for the past few weeks.

We got him this morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...led/ar-BBKuTIY

It's not a gun problem, it's a people problem.
Sounds like a very specific kind of people problem though.
And that maybe it might be a good idea to address that.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #36
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Resource officer's quick action stopped the Maryland school shooter within seconds

Recent update from CNN.

“The school shooting was over in seconds. But it could have dragged on longer and proven deadlier were it not for the rapid response of a school resource officer.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html
Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #37
sdp
-

Quote:
I don't have a great perspective into what teenagers go through nowadays in their teenage years but I suspect it is very different than what I knew... and not for the better in many ways.
From what I've been able to gather when I get to talk to early/mid teens as a teacher it's basically the same dumb things as always but with social media added to the mix.

When I was a teenager the internet wasn't "serious business" with teens like it is now, but it's really nothing new really. Only difference is the average teenager who doesn't understand technology is able to access the internet's darkest corners and they don't know how to deal with it when in my time the few people who were online understood "the rules".

So myspace friends has changed to likes/followers on instagram/facebook, sharing private pictures is easier than ever so the average joe can do it, online bullying to "normal" people. And the usual stuff, they do put a lot of emphasis on social media as a way to gauge.

Which isn't that different from 13 reasons why, which is really dumb but it "talked" to young people, so I'm guessing that also gives you an idea.

Quote:
I think that's a cheap scapegoat since you would only see a similar violent crimes rate in poor countries/sections of countries were they lack education i.e. people who didn't study past Middle School. It's an entirely different social problem.

Quote:
“The school shooting was over in seconds. But it could have dragged on longer and proven deadlier were it not for the rapid response of a school resource officer.“
Quote:
The problem is complicated and multi-faceted, but it's ultimately societal, I think.
I completely agree, but is weaponizing school really the solution? Is that the learning environment you want to take your kid to?

I sure wouldn't. If I were a parent I'd also be scared of him having to go to school as things are right now in the US.

Quote:
We're a country that thrives in media.
You underestimate globalization, the news and #FAKENEWS media is pretty much everywhere now, especially with the rise of social media among the older folks.

This is also why we're seeing a rise in nationalism worldwide.

Last edited by sdp; 03-21-2018 at 09:39 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #38
plastroncafe

It shouldn't be difficult to find statistics from countries with a similar demographic, and socioeconomic, breakdown for comparison.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I completely agree, but is weaponizing school really the solution? Is that the learning environment you want to take your kid to?
Vs. a school with no weapons at all, not even a slim chance for survival if a shooter comes and runs roughshod? Absolutely.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #40
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
I think that's a cheap scapegoat since you would only see a similar violent crimes rate in poor countries/sections of countries were they lack education i.e. people who didn't study past Middle School. It's an entirely different social problem.
I don’t think it’s a cheap scapegoat at all. I’m wanting to determine if Americans under 21 commit/attempt murder at significantly higher rates than there under 21 global counterparts. My wish would be that America is similar or even lower. I would hope it’s not something like quadruple the global rate.