The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Doctor Strange 2

Not confirmed until now, Feige says it's happening:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/docto...happen-a161752
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not confirmed until now, Feige says it's happening:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/docto...happen-a161752
Surprises nobody, though.

Hopefully Rachel McAdams will actually have something interesting to do in the sequel. She was criminally underused.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hopefully Rachel McAdams will actually have something interesting to do in the sequel. She was criminally underused.
Agreed. I'm a big fan of hers.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I remember reading somewhere that Nightmare could potentially be the big bad for the sequel. Fingers crossed that it happens.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Nightmare could potentially be the big bad for the sequel. Fingers crossed that it happens.
Scott Derrickson himself said that was what he would probably do for a sequel.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Scott Derrickson posted this on Instagram with a picture of Comic Strange

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl4o17el..._state_control

scottderrickson“Not my will, but thine be done...” See you in September.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Sam Raimi is directing the Sequel

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/d...mi-1203475309/

HOLY ****. I hope Bruce Campbell gets a role in this
Old 02-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Sam Raimi is directing the Sequel

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/d...mi-1203475309/

HOLY ****. I hope Bruce Campbell gets a role in this
Whoa... that's huge.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

Sorry to do this, but I need Tobey's Spider-Man in the multiverse.

I love Raimi btw. And he seems like such a sweet person.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Being a director on a Marvel movie is the most meaningless thing ever. It's not like their able to inject their own style into it. So yeah, I can't wait until Raimi becomes a Disney Yes-Man.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

The world has seen enough of Tobey's "Constantly on the brink of tears" Spider-Man. Those movies are alright but they really whiffed on him and Dunst. Both just the f*cking worst. People only hold them up so high because they were The First and people subconsciously hold onto a bias in cases such as that.

Peter's a sad sack but hardly the pouty, lip-quivering loser he was in those movies. I have a very hard time watching those movies anymore because Peter and MJ were so horribly miscast and they're the bulk of what you see. Blech. Just blech.

I agree that Raimi's probably a nice guy, though. I care nothing about Dr. Strange so I doubt I'll see it, but at least he's getting work. Good for him.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:51 PM   #12
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Sam Raimi directing one would drag me to the theatre and see my first Marvel movie in a movie theatre after his Spider-man 3.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, I'm the One Idiot holding out hope for a proper Evil Dead/Army Of Darkness big-screen finale.

There's a lot of guys I like but I'm not much of a "director fanboy". Like some people are Tim Burton fanatics and watch and fall in love with everything he does, or James Cameron, or whoever, and I'm generally not like that. I don't make it a point to see EVERYTHING a person does, be it an actor or director or whatever. I learned a long time ago that just because I like what someone did with X, that doesn't necessarily mean I'll like what they do with Y.

If that makes any sense. Like I like a lot of Raimi's stuff but that wouldn't be enough to make me drop coin on a MCU flick. As Cure said, it's highly unlikely it would be "his" movie; if anything they might do a fast-zoom "wheelbarrow camera" shot or two but that's all he'd be allowed to inject of himself into the project. I hate the MCU "formula" and don't care at all about the character, so it would take a lot to get me interested.

Thus, I'm just happy to see Sam get a paycheck in a post-Evil Dead world. Guy's gotta eat, after all.

I'm actually kind of annoyed because the more Dr. Strange movies they make only means we're farther away from ever getting a Dr. Fate movie. Fate >>> Strange, anyone who says otherwise is quite simply wrong.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #14
AquaParade
Banned

I love Tobey's Spider-Man in Raimi's hands. He is able to present Tobey/Peter in a way that really makes me feel for the guy and root for him. It's for me to decide why I hold it in high regard and it isn't nostalgia. Although I am nostalgic as hell for those movies, let's not go down the "you only like it because..." route. Let people like what they like for their own reasons.

I'm not holding my breath but I'm pretty sure Kevin worked a bit on that trilogy so he might be for it.

What would really be interesting is if Raimi asks to take a crack at Tom Holland, who is due for an MCU guest appearance.

Go Dr. Strange though.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

You're entitled to your opinion. I personally cannot stand a whiny pantywaist protagonist. Especially not for three movies in a row. I never rooted for him once, I just wanted him to stop the whining and get on with things. The action scenes were pretty good, though. Anything out-of-costume is a huge Hard Pass for me. Dude looks exactly like KD Lang in those movies. No Bueno.

Garfield was a much better Peter Parker in a regrettably half-baked series. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I also didn't invent the situation of people developing a bias towards their first experience with something; I forget what it's called but it's a legitimate and commonly-cited psychological phenomenon. I first heard it described in reference to Peter Pan; "Whichever version of Peter Pan a person first sees, that's forever 'Their' Peter Pan no matter what". But it obviously happens with just about any fictional character, and you see it all the time. I don't invent these things, I just Observe And Report.

I'm also never surprised when people swear the phenomenon has nothing to do with them, though. That's another quirk people have; every individual swears that they're the outlier in something that commonly affects just about everyone, but if that were the case then psychology wouldn't even be a thing. You see it everywhere, like if you say, "Science says most people hate surprises," a statistically true and provable fact, but inevitably every single person in the room will jump to yell "NOT me!" whether it's true of them or not. People just really hate it when anyone points out how easy they are to figure out. But the truth is, most people are hardwired a certain way and aren't at all difficult to read. Everyone says they're the outlier but that simply can't be true in most cases.

To me, the only thing that makes sense about so many people still being fixated on a Spider-Man who even their kid sister could beat up, is that's the first Spider-Man movie they saw and are thus not going to grade the film or the actors objectively. People can like it if they want, though, that's their business. I personally can't see how Tobey gets on anyone's list for any other reason, though. And I can only call what I see.
----------------

It would be interesting to see Raimi direct Holland as Spider-Man, but mostly just for laughs. I can't stand Holland either. Dude looks like he's 10.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #16
AquaParade
Banned

Alright Wait are you actually arguing that science proves that the first version you experience of something is the version you always like best? And that’s your reasoning for all modern Raimi Spider-Man fans?
That this is scientifically backed and you don’t understand people who disagree and pretend it’s not true?

But this doesn’t apply to you? You are outside of the phenomena and prefer Garfield or Holland..even though you saw Maguire/Raimi first..... like... millions of others?

You just said you don’t understand people who think they are outside of this sort of phenomenon, while at the same time saying you don’t fall under the Peter Pan bias phenomenon that draws people towards Raimi/Maguire... despite it being a proven truth.

That... doesn’t add up lol.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-05-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

No, I'm saying that science says that's how MOST people are wired whether they want to be that way or not, that it's a very real thing that happens and every single person swears that it isn't Them who's being described by it. And that it perfectly explains why so many people swear Tobey was a great Spider-Man when in truth he really wasn't.

People can like his portrayal for their own reasons, but again, objectively, he wasn't very good. If not for the "First Version People See = Favorite Version" phenomenon, he simply wouldn't be so acclaimed. He neither portrayed the character in a way that was true to the comics, nor ever stopped being an impotent whiner in general. He was incredibly unlikable, although still light years ahead of Dunst. If those same movies came out today, people would be screaming about his lack of agency and how annoying he was.

Again, it happens all the time. People swear Chris Reeve IS Superman, even though those movies are mostly-terrible and at least two or three guys since then have done a much better job. People swear Keaton was the quintessential Batman even though aside from some very stiff fight scenes and an intense glare, he barely said or did anything of note and completely played second-fiddle to his villains. Nostalgia is a very powerful factor in these things.

"You never forget your first", as they say. BUT, just like the first time you have sex is objectively never the best sex you'll ever have, the first guy to play "______-Man" is almost never the best, he's just The Best to someone who first saw them through a child's eyes. Things evolve.

There's nothing wrong with it, by the way, I just prefer when people own their biases and I don't like when people dismiss it as a factor. It's absolutely a factor.

The only way I'm "different" is that I try very hard NOT to be biased and remain objective in all things. I can acknowledge that, at one time, I was just as prone to it as anyone else, but once I decided to actually view things through a neutral lens, it turned out that a lot of the things I loved unconditionally simply weren't THAT great, and I can admit that, whereas most people can't or choose not to. They think they're somehow betraying their fandom of the thing they like if they admit that someone else did a better job playing "____-Man" than the one they loved when they were 6.

It's just like any other kind of "programming" that all humans are inherently wired with. If a person really wants to, they can shake it off, but understanding that it is in fact A Thing is step one. We all have biases, but it's up to the individual whether they want to remain influenced by those biases or if they want to be an objective and critical thinker. I, personally, opt for the latter.

Last edited by Leo656; 02-05-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #18
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

People can like his portrayal for their own reasons.
One and done.

Don’t relegate people’s opinion to their specific wiring which you are, in rare manner,
exempt from, man. It’s not a good look.

You want to turn this into a lesson about bias, but I’m no stranger to the concept. I just like that version of Peter.

Try to accept that people will have different preferences and tastes that may not always line up with yours. It’s fair to disagree and I have no problem with that, but you also have to allow people to speak on their own behalf. Speak on what you dislike about it but don’t tell others what they do like about it based on some article you remember reading about phenomenons. Tacky.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-05-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
all that stuff
"First to market" is a thing. It's not always 100%, but if you can be the first to do it, the arena is yours and the bias is usually yours to lose.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Eh, I'm the One Idiot holding out hope for a proper Evil Dead/Army Of Darkness big-screen finale.
After the apparent "series finale" of Ash vs. Evil Dead I'm honeslty not even sure I want that anymore. I used to. But from where things were left? Eh. Too nutty.