The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #161
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Although its never explained why, I loved how the Rat King becomes very bloodthirsty and evil in his final appearance in season 8.

I dig the trenchcoat/hat, and I think the combination of his new attitude, his giant mutated rats and access to the Shockwave made him the most dangerous that the Rat King has ever been.
Agreed. One of the reasons why Wrath of the Rat King is one of my favourite episodes. Also, I thought Splinter said his best speech in that ep. My signature quote is taken from it.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #162
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What do people say Rat King was a neutral character? He helped them find April in Return of The Fly in his second appearance. That was it! He did it because he was attracted to April and was not prepared to plot/battle beyond asking if the Turtles were looking for him to battle his loyal army of rat followers.

Rat King to me was the #2 villain, second only to Shredder and Krang who are lumped together as the #1 being a team in this series. Then prehaps dropped down to #3 overall when Shredder and Krang are separate. Rat King seems to be to iconic based on his 10 appearances between 1989 and 1994 in the original cartoon. I often wondered why Rat King was pulled from the comics and used of the choices that were available. It also surprised me that the comics did not bring him back alive as a reoccurring character after the carton garnered a fandom for the character.

I do like the mystery aspect of the character, but I still want an origin for the character as seen in the 1987 cartoon. We finally got one around 2007 in Mirage which I bet inspired the incarnation we see in IDW as a supernatural being.

I did not like the fact Agent Bishop's imperfect clone wrapped himself in bandages and went with the Rat King's one-off story in Mirage. That was not Rat King, just a one-note minor character taking another character's story. It was disappointing for me. I like the fact that Shredder and Rat King are formidable human adversaries for the TMNT. 4Kids took that away from them.

Nick's Rat King got an origin similar to what i had in mind for the character and also the concept as seen in I, Monster and Of Rats And Men. Its how I want to see the character beyond the 1987 cartoon, but design wise? Nothing beats the 1987 cartoon/Mirage comics/Archie comics pretty much shared look. I especially like the look from Wrath of The Rat King. There was more story to tell with the basics being beefed up to 11 yet he was actually successfully captured and stayed that way. How many could you say that for in TMNT overall especially the 1987 cartoon? Maybe a gangster and Beserko (should have been the successor villain over Dregg!), but that was it. Being trapped in Dimension X is not really captured. They can wreck havoc still, just not on Earth.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #163
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I imagine FW Rat King's origin was linked to the season 1 episode, "A Thing About Rats".

Maybe he saw the Mousers killing rats everywhere and was so horrified that he rescued the rats he could and abandoned humanity for a life in the sewers.

I'm surprised they didn't pay homage to that episode in the Rat King's debut, when they did later on pay homage to another season 1 episode in Splinter Vanishes, a season 4 episode featuring the Rat King.

In that episode, Splinter was able to convince the rats to turn against the enemies and showcase that his mind control is stronger than the Rat Kings. I instantly thought of the episode "Turtle Tracks" when he did that, as Splinter was originally friends with the rats when he fled to the sewers, and shared a connection with them.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 10-08-2017 at 04:19 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #164
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
I imagine FW Rat King's origin was linked to the season 1 episode, "A Thing About Rats".

Maybe he saw the Mousers killing rats everywhere and was so horrified that he rescued the rats he could and abandoned humanity for a life in the sewers.
He was skilled in chemistry, so maybe he was studying at a university and kicked out from there because of him doing dangerous attempts with the chemicals.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #165
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post

I did not like the fact Agent Bishop's imperfect clone wrapped himself in bandages and went with the Rat King's one-off story in Mirage. That was not Rat King, just a one-note minor character taking another character's story. It was disappointing for me. I like the fact that Shredder and Rat King are formidable human adversaries for the TMNT. 4Kids took that away from them.
Either way, it's still his proper backstory in that reincarnation. Rat King tends to have a wildly different origin in each series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #166
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
He was skilled in chemistry, so maybe he was studying at a university and kicked out from there because of him doing dangerous attempts with the chemicals.
That is the origin that I prefer to give him. It has similarities to Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow, but it really works. I fleshed it on in fan fiction leaning thst way, but I would love to hear David Wise take on it even if it were a Facebook post.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #167
Vegita-San
Emperor

i always figured the rat king was a rat mutated intoa human, maybe after being around splinter. it would explain why he can communicate with them.

and they did find the mutagen in h is layer, that was unstable.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #168
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I kinda looked up to the Turtles as a kid, as I thought they were brave, calm, determined, etc. at the time. For example, in the episode Bebop and Rocksteady Conquer the Universe, they still pluck up the courage to help Zach near the end even after being zapped by the anxiety ray. I also liked the few badass moments Shredder had in the series such as when he beat all four Turtles in The Incredible Shrinking Turtles and stood up to Dregg in season 10.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #169
CyberCubed
Overlord

I honestly think it was this show that got me into sci-fi. Almost all the plots of each episode were sci-fi influenced, it was basically "Star Trek for kids."

If some say the Nick show was a bit horror inspired, I'd say the original cartoon was sci-fi inspired. Every episodes featured a B-movie 50's sci-fi plot, aliens, robots, dimension hopping, mutations, mind control, etc.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #170
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I honestly think it was this show that got me into sci-fi. Almost all the plots of each episode were sci-fi influenced, it was basically "Star Trek for kids."

If some say the Nick show was a bit horror inspired, I'd say the original cartoon was sci-fi inspired. Every episodes featured a B-movie 50's sci-fi plot, aliens, robots, dimension hopping, mutations, mind control, etc.
Absolutely not "Star Trek for kids." More like B-movies for kids.

Do not blaspheme.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #171
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah I'm with Cylons here. There was more of The Blob or Them or Day the Earth Stood Still in the OT than Star Trek. It even had a parody version of the monolith from 2001! I caught the references to those old sci-fi B movies even when I was a kid.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #172
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
All his appearances as a main character are good (I don't count his appearance in "Pizza by the Shred" as a main character).
The Rat King was a good character, his hypnotic flute song was always fun to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Absolutely not "Star Trek for kids." More like B-movies for kids.

Do not blaspheme.
At first I didn't agree with this comment but then I read it over again and you're right. Sure Star Trek back in the 60s had some of those old sci-fi qualities but it wasn't pulp. The 80s cartoon took it's ideas from horror and sci-fi pulp from the 50s while combining it with the 80s version of modernity.

Quote:
I'm really curious what the humor will be like in general. The Nick cartoon had pretty standard modern day cartoon humor since in shows like Teen Titans and current cartoons. Also with the anime expressions or crazy scenes they do, which is common in shows these days.

The original cartoon humor isn't really common anymore. I can't really think of any cartoon from say the late 90's through the 2000's that's similar to it.
Different way of making cartoons. Your reference to style of humour has to do with the FW series being made before TV became totally self-referential. Today humour in TV shows or films is signposted or characters either try too hard to be dramatic or funny. The humour in the FW cartoon was off it's time when TV tried to take itself more seriously while still having humour. It is almost impossible to return to that style.

Quote:
I have a somewhat similar view on the Sonic shows, I don't find the new ones funny like Aosth which had alot of slapstick, don't get me wrong, but it was also funny in my eyes due to the self awareness/way the characters interacted, especially the villains.
Adventures went the Road Runner cartoon shorts path but with speech. Maybe it's just that appeals to you more than say the humour from Sonic X.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #173
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

Well I first got exposed to sci-fi and martial arts stuff in the FW series. So I guess the TMNT planted those seeds in me as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #174
CyberCubed
Overlord

The first time I ever saw stuff like "dimensional portals," "time travel," "alternate realities," "aliens," "mutants," "robots," etc. I all saw in the original TMNT cartoon first before anything else.

The original cartoon was heavily sci-fi based. It actually baffles me when people complain about the sci-fi stuff in other TMNT incarnations when this has always been there since day 1.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #175
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The first time I ever saw stuff like "dimensional portals," "time travel," "alternate realities," "aliens," "mutants," "robots," etc. I all saw in the original TMNT cartoon first before anything else.

The original cartoon was heavily sci-fi based. It actually baffles me when people complain about the sci-fi stuff in other TMNT incarnations when this has always been there since day 1.
The Fred Wolf toon was my first introduction to sci-fi elements as well along with the tv show The Girl from Tomorrow which aired at around the same time (early 90s).
Old 10-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #176
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
That's why I always liked the FW cartoon because it fed my imagination. No other cartoon at the time other than The Real Ghostbusters did that. Mirage idea of sci-fi in TMNT was cyberpunk but the futurism of the FW cartoon was something I could grasp more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
The Fred Wolf toon was my first introduction to sci-fi elements as well along with the tv show The Girl from Tomorrow which aired at around the same time (early 90s).
To be honest I never got into the first season of The Girl from Tomorrow. The second season I avidly watched however.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #177
CyberCubed
Overlord

Rob Paulsen posted this on his twitter to celebrate the 30th anniversary debut of the show:

Quote:
WOW! #TMNT debuted 30 years ago today! Turns out we DO live a long time. Thanks for watching, folks!
https://twitter.com/yakkopinky/statu...88034398085121
Old 12-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #178
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Rob Paulsen posted this on his twitter to celebrate the 30th anniversary debut of the show:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRDWYDEU8AAMicn.jpg

https://twitter.com/yakkopinky/statu...88034398085121
Totally radical dudes, Cowabunga!

Who would've known back that the Original Turtle Voice Actors debuting in 1987 would all reprise their roles together 30 years later.

We might not hear them do the turtles ever again, but its been an awesome 30 years. I will love the 80s cartoon forever and the legendary cast that brought it to life.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #179
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Thanks for sharing! TMNT87 4 Life!

Did you get the link I PMed you FredWolfLeonardo?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #180
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Being trapped in Dimension X is not really captured. They can wreck havoc still, just not on Earth.
Whenever Krang and Shredder are trapped in Dimension X, wreaking havoc on Earth is just a portal opening away .

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 12-18-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote