The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #21
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I really don't get the hate for CGI... Then again, a lot of people was against the dreaded Talkies.
It's not that I hate it, it works great with the Nick TMNT series. It's the older shows that used it that's the problem, they usually don't age well since CGI is constantly evolving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Awesome, now bring back Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck.
I second that; and finish Darkwing Duck's DVDS while you're at it, Disney!

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #22
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I really don't get the hate for CGI... Then again, a lot of people was against the dreaded Talkies.
I don't get it either, And CGI has improved over the years, I guess most just complain about the art style.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 02-26-2015 at 10:29 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
It's not that I hate it, it works great with the Nick TMNT series. It's the older shows that used it that's the problem, they usually don't age well since CGI is constantly evolving.
But like TigerClaw said, CGI has greatly advance from its early days. All it needs is the proper execution.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
But like TigerClaw said, CGI has greatly advance from its early days. All it needs is the proper execution.
Like I said though, it's the older shows that are the problem. CGI shows now are fine. It just remains to be see whether or not CGI will suit DuckTales or not. If it does, great. I'm all for it. I do however believe that traditional hand-drawn animation still has more charm to it, the same goes for practical effects over CGI in movies.

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Last edited by THGhost; 02-26-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #25
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Besides, If they go CGI for this new series, They can stick to the old style of the original show, But in CGI, They can do CGI that has the cell shading of the original cartoons.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #26
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Disney have done a lot of great CGI translations with their characters, like Mickey shorts in 3D, and shows in 3D. I don't see why suddenly somethign called Ducktales would make Disney's sculptors, designers and animators loose their ability to create something.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #27
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Disney have done a lot of great CGI translations with their characters, like Mickey shorts in 3D, and shows in 3D. I don't see why suddenly somethign called Ducktales would make Disney's sculptors, designers and animators loose their ability to create something.
Man, you know how weird people get over CGI versus traditional animation. It's no use.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its hard to believe people are complaining about a CG cartoon on a forum where most of you watch the Nick TMNT cartoon and are fine with it graphically.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #29
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its hard to believe people are complaining about a CG cartoon on a forum where most of you watch the Nick TMNT cartoon and are fine with it graphically.
I think most of the complaints over CGI has to do with the art style, You could have CGI that looks cartoony or with more realistic details.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #30
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I think most of the complaints over CGI has to do with the art style, You could have CGI that looks cartoony or with more realistic details.
It's definitely do to with the art style. That and because hand-drawn animation has more charm and soul to it, not to mention more effort put into it. CGI to many feels like a cheaper and faster way of creating something.

Hopefully a CGI DuckTales will look great though and I'm sure it will.

Last edited by THGhost; 02-26-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #31
snake
Disgusting

I'm fine with good looking cgi, just not cheap cgi.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #32
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I didn’t think the CGI in Christmas: Impossible (The closest thing we’ve ever gotten to a Ducktales sequel) was that bad and that was one of the early CG productions from Disney. No matter what they choose, “traditional” or computer, I just don’t think it’s going to look as good as the original show. The budget for television animation nowadays isn’t what it used to be. However I also think Disney realizes the legacy of these characters (and not just Ducktales but the original Carl Barks comics.) and we’ll at least get something slightly above average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
I sincerely hope they don't use the original cast - Alan Young hasn't been so young for several decades now (95-years-old!).
Alan Young just voiced Scrooge this year in “Goofy’s First Love”. I don’t think he’s leaving the character anytime soon, nor should he.

In closing, I just hope the show is successful enough to bring back Darkwing Duck.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #33
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
Alan Young just voiced Scrooge this year in “Goofy’s First Love”. I don’t think he’s leaving the character anytime soon, nor should he.
I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
In closing, I just hope the show is successful enough to bring back Darkwing Duck.
He could have a cameo in the new DuckTales show and then get his own spin-off if the ratings were good enough - which they would be.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #34
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Thought I'd post this. Found it a couple years ago. I find it oddly very enjoyable. There's just something cool about it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=wvPDgNx7B7U

As for the cgi as long as it has its own distinct look I'm fine with it.

I've always thought though, when cgi is chosen because it's easier for anything not just this, couldn't they easily use cgi to create a traditional animation look? Like...hey, it's traditional animation! but it's really made by computer. No one's the wiser.

It doesn't actually have to be hand drawn by a person.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #35
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Thought I'd post this. Found it a couple years ago. I find it oddly very enjoyable. There's just something cool about it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=wvPDgNx7B7U
I'm laughing my *** *** off.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #36
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
I'm laughing my *** *** off.
Ha well most slowed down music sounds funny but I still think there's something cool about this one. Like ignoring the voice the music actually sounds pretty nice and the woo-hoo part.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:53 AM   #37
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
I really don't get the hate for CGI...
I'm sick of seeing it so much. I hate that there are no traditionally animated theatrical releases any more. I hate that nobody seems to care about it any more. I've always vastly preferred it, and while I don't mind CGI for some things, so many cartoons are using it when traditional animation would look so much better.

For things like Toy Story and Transformers, CGI works in their favour. For things like Frozen that heavily feature human characters, it's an awful choice, because I don't like the way humans are often stylized in CGI. I think they look ugly. A good example is the boy from Up. I really don't like the way he looks. That movie, as much as I love it, would have been infinitely better-looking if it had been traditionally animated.

I can't see DuckTales looking good in CGI, either. Also, one must remember that the CGI used in cartoons is generally much lower budget than the stuff you see in movies, and even if season 1 looks good, there's no telling what future seasons may look like if budgets get cut. A slight difference would be seriously noticeable with CGI, whereas with traditional animation it wouldn't be so severe.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #38
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Meh, low budget 2D animations can look just as bad as some 3D animation. Just take a quick gander at the crappy movies that tried to ride off on Disney's movies. Like for example the animated Swan Princess, it's 2D, but it looks biting and dull with no interesting animation from the main characters. And all the Golden Films and Jetlag Productions.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #39
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

True, but I'd much rather look at low budget 2D than low budget CGI. Just personal preference, really.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:13 AM   #40
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

As long as the tone is the same, it could be stop motion and I'd watch it.

I do worry about the aged members of the cast, both Allan Young and June Foray are in their mid 90's....they may still be kicking, but who knows for how long. I just finished watching the cut scenes from Ducktales Remastered and I hope they find a better Fenton Crackshell/Gizmoduck. Ms. Beakly and Gyro were close enough, but something was "off" about Fenton.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
woo-hoo!