The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 12:31 AM   #481
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yes, here we are... RIP, Star Trek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I take it you're not a fan of the reboot films?
F*** no. I mean, it's hard to say Star Trek 2009 wasn't entertaining... but to paraphrase Padme, it's like... "So this is how Star Trek dies... to thunderous applause?"

That that sort of... "take" on Star Trek has carried over into the TV universe now, too... despicable. I can't spit enough venom or hurl enough bad vibes at it. It's quintessentially the antithesis of Star Trek on almost every level. Not even the component atoms bare any resemblance to "real Trek." It's a hollow and completely transparent re-appropriation of a brand to sell it to the lowest common denominator.

Quote:
I thought the first was okay and Into Darkness kind of dumb, but I really enjoyed Beyond.
"Into Darkness" exposed how threadbare their "plan" and "new vision" for Trek really was. "Beyond" was OK for what it was, but after "Into Darkness" nobody cared so nobody saw it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #482
Vegita-San
Emperor

yep. new star trek is all flash, no substance. just like new star wars is. all flash, no universe story telling.

i was looking at the new falcon again and thought... why does that 'escape pod' addition just scream new toy sale tactic? we've never seen an escape pod that was the size of half the ship before. it just seems goofy.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #483
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'd be more keen to see another Trek movie than another SW at the mo (but then I liked the last Trek Movie) now I'm going to go before the new Trek haters chase me off ..... and those who loved the last SW movie and might find that a massive insult (trolling not intended guys )

Edit: That being said, our expectations of a movie also count towards how we feel when we come out the theatre, I had higher expectations for Ep 9 than a lot of movies so that counts towards it, not watched it a 2nd time yet.

Last edited by newfan; 06-03-2018 at 09:55 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #484
sdp
-

My only experience with Trek was the reboot movie. I didn't like It but I watched it a second time since everyone told me it was great but it still didn't grab me.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #485
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
My only experience with Trek was the reboot movie. I didn't like It but I watched it a second time since everyone told me it was great but it still didn't grab me.
Everyone... being on a different site and not the drome? I think there's me and maybe 1? on here I liked the reboot (Though not as original cast)

Last edited by newfan; 06-03-2018 at 09:44 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #486
Vegita-San
Emperor

watch TNG's 'Where No one has Gone Before'.

if that doesn't get you..nothing will.

for something slightly more goofy, A Naked time from TNG will also do.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #487
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Everyone... being on a different site and not the drome? I think there's me and maybe 1? on here I liked the reboot (Though not as original cast)
Well the movie originally came out in 2009 and yeah not the drome but tech communities back then raved about the movie a lot so even if I'd never been interested in Trek before I checked it out since it was hyped as "finally Trek is like Star Wars" or "a fresh new take on Trek", "The trek you love but without all the baggage" and it was just ok, I watched it again to see if it clicked but nope.

I'm sure some hardcore fans hated it since the first movie but I think the general consensus backlash started with the first sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
watch TNG's 'Where No one has Gone Before'.

if that doesn't get you..nothing will.

for something slightly more goofy, A Naked time from TNG will also do.
The thing is I'm not a fan of watching a random episode to get hooked, I'm kind of a continuity geek and if I start watching Trek I'll want to watch EVERYTHING. So that also stops me, I came close one day when every show was on Netflix.

But maybe I'll give it a shot one day, then again if I start with the best episode what's next for me?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:26 AM   #488
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
i was looking at the new falcon again and thought... why does that 'escape pod' addition just scream new toy sale tactic? we've never seen an escape pod that was the size of half the ship before. it just seems goofy.
They may have made a slight oversight in Solo regarding that... I think Han only mention one escape pod, but it could quite possibly have been more as a whole.

Re A New Hope arriving at the happy fun ball...

Khurgee: According to the ship's log, the crew abandoned ship right after take off. It must be a decoy sir, several of the escape pods have also been jettisoned.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #489
sdp
-

I dwelled into the SW fandom because I started reading this tweeter war for the biggest SW podcast and man, this is really different than all the previous times I've been in the SW fandom. Disney Star Wars has created a lot more hostility than the prequels ever did. The ones defending are vicious in their attacks to those who don't like it, even if a minority and it's creating a lot of animosity in the fandom. Just listen to the Han Solo episode of Rebel Force Radio, and they liked the film but they go on about the problems with Disney Star Wars, I tend to agree with almost all points, only they're a lot more hopeful for the future than me.

The key points that stuck out to me were that Disney SWs has no vision, Marvel has worked because it has a vision but also SW, even if the prequels sucked they had a vision that was planned out. This movie would've done better without Han Solo and legacy characters and also this movie is suffering the effects of The Last Jedi backlash in terms of numbers. No matter how you spin it, this is a huge failure. Other stuff I agree on a lot but I've already mentioned it here before many times like not telling new stories.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #490
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
They may have made a slight oversight in Solo regarding that... I think Han only mention one escape pod, but it could quite possibly have been more as a whole.

Re A New Hope arriving at the happy fun ball...

Khurgee: According to the ship's log, the crew abandoned ship right after take off. It must be a decoy sir, several of the escape pods have also been jettisoned.
I always found that line odd. the ship seemed too small to have seven escape pods.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #491
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Yesterday, Ron Howard shared his latest thoughts on the film's underperformance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Howard
I’m proud of #SoloAStarWarsStory and the cast & crew worked hard to give fans a fun new addition. As a director I feel badly when people who I believe (& exit polls show) will very likely enjoy a movie... don’t see it on a big screen w/great sound.
https://deadline.com/2018/06/solo-di...nt-1202407302/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #492
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Reports are saying that because this film underperformed at the box-office, Disney and Lucasfilm are putting all spin-offs on hold. They will instead be turning all of their attention to Episode IX, the upcoming TV series for their streaming service and the new trilogy from Rian Johnson.

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/
Old 06-21-2018, 04:40 AM   #493
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Reports are saying that because this film underperformed at the box-office, Disney and Lucasfilm are putting all spin-offs on hold. They will instead be turning all of their attention to Episode IX, the upcoming TV series for their streaming service and the new trilogy from Rian Johnson.

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/
I also read that Lucasfilm will be avoiding new or unusual filmmakers for any future Star Wars movies. and only stick to getting veteran directors.
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018...franchise.html

Quote:
Disney is done experimenting with new or unusual filmmakers and will go back to proven veteran talent who they know can handle a big budget Star Wars production in an effort to prevent future production chaos, drama, and firings.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 06-21-2018 at 04:48 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #494
Vegita-San
Emperor

good luck. they burned that bridge by firing a few.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #495
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

StarWarsNewsNet is such clickbait trash that sucks off Lucasfilm for anything it does.

How does Rian Johnson fit into that veteran director narrative they're spinning?

Why are they laying the faults of the production chaos solely on the directors? When 3 of your 5 movies have had changes in the director's chair then I'd place more of the blame elsewhere.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #496
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

What's going to be hilarious is how their course correction is going to piss off the very same fans that are clamoring for it now.

They should just make good movies that they're proud of, with solid stories and good direction that actually has a voice.

Movies by committee are never good.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #497
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

A source close to Lucasfilm says that they are not slowing down the development of spin-off films. However, they are definitely "licking their wounds" following the disappointing box-office performance of this film.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...opment-1122655
Old 06-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #498
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I also read that Lucasfilm will be avoiding new or unusual filmmakers for any future Star Wars movies. and only stick to getting veteran directors.
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018...franchise.html
You mean like Ron Howard?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #499
Vegita-San
Emperor

what the fudge?

Old 06-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #500
Sumac
Banned

It seems that this guy is really really up his ass.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autismawareness, cubedwannacracker, cuck solo, snake the true fan, snake vs tfa, snake vs the world, solo a sjw story