The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #41
matteso586
Stone Warrior

Who else got some Samurai Jack vibes just after the opening sequence?
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #42
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteso586 View Post
Who else got some Samurai Jack vibes just after the opening sequence?
I definetly did.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Samurai Jack wasn't anything more than a series inspired by old samurai films/movies/cartoons.

Usagi began in 1984, so it's a shame to see the series not get much spotlight over Samurai Jack. Usagi has nearly 200 comics, and I've read nearly all of them in collections Dark Horse has put out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #44
Vicky82
Emperor

How did they get away with this.

It's a severed hand!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a glove or a metal gauntlet at first until I paused it.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #45
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
How did they get away with this.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e2a03a45...sz1u74_540.png

It's a severed hand!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a glove or a metal gauntlet at first until I paused it.
They got away with Tiger Claw's severed arm as well. This is arguably the goriest of the turtle shows.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #46
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

actually, usagi has even already MORE than 200 issues of comics
#141 has been the official 200th issue, since the numbering 141 only counted the dark horse comics and neglected the fantagraphics and mirage studios run.
not wanting to nerd around here but I love usagi and am happy for him
god, I wish I could see that new episode finally!has anyone got an idea where I could see it?nobody seems to have uploaded it anywhere I usually watched this series..
Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #47
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Nice! The action, animation, direction, and environmental design is pretty awesome.

Only thing that bugged me is I was kind of unconsciously expecting Usagi to just sound much like the 2003 version so a deeper voice feels strange. lol. (Also never seeing what the Turtles were even up to prior to being summoned there.) The pug kid is kind of hilarious though. The kid who voiced him is quite good at what he does!
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #48
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Nice! The action, animation, direction, and environmental design is pretty awesome.

Only thing that bugged me is I was kind of unconsciously expecting Usagi to just sound much like the 2003 version so a deeper voice feels strange. lol. (Also never seeing what the Turtles were even up to prior to being summoned there.) The pug kid is kind of hilarious though. The kid who voiced him is quite good at what he does!
You could tell what the turtles were doing when they appeared.

Leo in the Dojo
Donnie on his computer, in his lab
Mikey eating pizza, probably in the living room watching tv.
Raph asleep, probably in his room

It didn't bother me because the episode was mostly focused on Usagi and needed character building. If we saw the turtles first and getting summoned then people would moan that we didn't get enough Usagi.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #49
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I'm a die hard Usagi fan so I loved it hardcore. Hope like crazy that Gen shows up. Stan Sakai is such a master storyteller. I'm finally getting to meet him in a couple of months at Baltimore Comic Con and I absolutely can not wait.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #50
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Hands down one of the best episodes of the series. I love this take on Usagi and Jei.

Anyone else wish they'd make a spin off featuring Usagi?
It would be awesome if they could do that but if you read the comics you know that Stan Sakai has a hard time just writing single issues and he has complete control of the property and he could never meet the demands of a show schedule. It would be awesome if he could but I'm sure it's just a pipe dream. Usagi 160 is the last actual comic he did and it came out in like December if that tells you anything.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #51
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
I'm a die hard Usagi fan so I loved it hardcore. Hope like crazy that Gen shows up.
I guess you didn't notice Gen in Usagi's backstory

Old 07-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #52
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Is the idea of dinosaurs on Miyamoto Usagi's Earth from the Usagi Yojimbo comics?
Yeah they're in the comics. If you've never read the comics I absolutely can not recommend them enough. As awesome as this episode was, the comics still put it to shame. They're extremely immersive and cinematic and especially for a black and white comic. Also they're loaded with tons of Japanese history and lore and other great characters. Stan Sakai is one of the greatest storytellers alive. He's like a Carl Barks and Don Rosa type storyteller where he uses actual history as sort of a backdrop for his stories and creates excellent characters.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #53
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/ae207a05...0huyo1_540.png
It's a little strange seeing him in a flashback with his horn already chopped off. I guess they did that so he'd be recognisable but still.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #54
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
They got away with Tiger Claw's severed arm as well. This is arguably the goriest of the turtle shows.
Yeah it's becoming like Game of Thrones

Old 07-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #55
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior

Quote:

honestly, i dont mind the cast putting gen briefly in like that cause i find his personality in the 03 a bit grinding but then again, only going off of the 03 since i havent read the usagi comics

i sooooo wish the next promo was out already
Old 07-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #56
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:

No I didn't see that. Maybe they will actually put him in there like in 03.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #57
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwolf View Post
honestly, i dont mind the cast putting gen briefly in like that cause i find his personality in the 03 a bit grinding but then again, only going off of the 03 since i havent read the usagi comics

i sooooo wish the next promo was out already
Dude. Read them yesterday!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #58
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
It would be awesome if they could do that but if you read the comics you know that Stan Sakai has a hard time just writing single issues and he has complete control of the property and he could never meet the demands of a show schedule. It would be awesome if he could but I'm sure it's just a pipe dream. Usagi 160 is the last actual comic he did and it came out in like December if that tells you anything.
I am sorry, but Usagi's comic having a break (the second time in over thirty years one must add) has nothing to do with stan's abillities to work in time, my friend. the break came about because he took a time out in order to work on two other projects (one being a tribute book to another comic character and one being the idw turtles/usagi crossover book that is coming out now. and stan also said on the usagi yojimbo dojo (the official fan website of usagi) that the turtles project was formerly supposed to be much longer even, but the guys helming that decided to cut it short).

if one was to talk about stans speed, it is incredible if you think about it, know the process and understand comics. he writes, draws and inks 10 issues a year SINGLE HANDEDLY.that is a mind blowing accomplishment actually.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Stan Sakai is basically like a manga artist. He writes and draws every single Usagi comic...for 30 years. It's not like western comics or even TMNT comics where the creators Kevin/Peter stopped drawing/writing issues themselves fairly early on.

Had Stan lived in Japan when he created Usagi, it'd probably have a long running anime series by now with over 700+ episodes and a long running manga. Usagi started in 1984 the same time Dragonball did, can you imagine if he created it in Japan instead of in the west?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #60
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Stan Sakai is basically like a manga artist. He writes and draws every single Usagi comic...for 30 years. It's not like western comics or even TMNT comics where the creators Kevin/Peter stopped drawing/writing issues themselves fairly early on.

Had Stan lived in Japan when he created Usagi, it'd probably have a long running anime series by now with over 700+ episodes and a long running manga. Usagi started in 1984 the same time Dragonball did, can you imagine if he created it in Japan instead of in the west?
that would have been incredible if there was such a long running usagi anime.but then again, I think part of what may make usagi even better is that role of stan and his creation as sort of an outcast of that country that he is so meticulously researching and writing about. do you know what I mean? it doesn't really play any role in all this whatsoever, but knowing that NO outsider, that means no foreigner, ever has had a commercial breakthrough in japan-even if usagi is such a love letter to all the country'S history and soul-...I don't know that makes him somewhat of an underdog in my head..a sort of a lone wolf hahaha