The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

DC - Dark Nights: Metal

Dark Nights: Metal

Is anybody else reading this event series? It ties into quite a lot of ongoing series at DC right now and I've read the first seven issues of the event and it's been pretty good so far. It does reference a lot of ongoing plot lines in all of the series it's featured in but you don't have to be caught up to enjoy it. I jumped on board just because of some cool promo art I saw; I haven't read a DC comic before this one in several years.

Here's a list of all the dark, twisted Batmen

I'm normally a Marvel reader, but Secret Empire just didn't interest me at all. I've still been reading Deadpool but honestly the Secret Empire event just came in and f#cked up all the story lines that I've been invested in. So lame. Dark Nights is cool because it just seems like they wanted an excuse to do a whole bunch of weird, balls-to-the-wall batshit crazy, heavy metal type story beats and artistic choices. And isn't that what the comics medium is all about?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

The series is getting its own soundtrack:

Old 11-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

I want to love this series.

The spirit is there, Greg Capullo’s pencils are gorgeous, and own soundtrack. That is so cool.
Scott Snyder’s writing can really drag it down for me, however. I find the book to be heavily overwritten. If you’re going to have this much prose and dialogue, it has to be capriveting. I love the lengthy prose of Alan Moore’s comics, it’s poetic. This feels more like exposition.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

The spirit is there, Greg Capullo’s pencils are gorgeous, and own soundtrack. That is so cool.
Scott Snyder’s writing can really drag it down for me, however. I find the book to be heavily overwritten. If you’re going to have this much prose and dialogue, it has to be capriveting. I love the lengthy prose of Alan Moore’s comics, it’s poetic. This feels more like exposition.
Capriveting? Captivating/riveting? lmao I like it

Have you been following along with the tie-in issues and one-shots? It's been nice because even if I don't particularly care for an artist or a writer in one issue as part of the larger whole it all evens out.

I want to get the hardcover edition of this when it comes out, it'll probably be split into the actual Dark Days/Dark Nights issues, the Nightmare Batmen one-shots, the Gotham Resistance story, and the Bats Out of Hell story. But if it all got collected in one book I'd definitely buy it.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Capriveting? Captivating/riveting? lmao I like it

Have you been following along with the tie-in issues and one-shots? It's been nice because even if I don't particularly care for an artist or a writer in one issue as part of the larger whole it all evens out.

I want to get the hardcover edition of this when it comes out, it'll probably be split into the actual Dark Days/Dark Nights issues, the Nightmare Batmen one-shots, the Gotham Resistance story, and the Bats Out of Hell story. But if it all got collected in one book I'd definitely buy it.
Haha, I'm still adjusting to typing from my phone! It's a bit of a pain, actually.

I've followed a few one-shots here and there, and enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to the one Grant Morrison is co-writing. If nothing else though, Greg Capullo's pencil are keeping me on board.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

i totally get you on this.

i was on board with the New 52 Batman since day one. i'd honestly though i was in love with Snyder's storytelling until the first Annual and then issue #12.
trying to read his writing without Capullo's art to droll over was painful for me.
and it felt like the longer the series went on the more overbearing the exposition got. almost like he was punishing his readers.

i still love Capullo's art. it might not be as wicked looking as when he was doing Spawn.
even his early issues on Batman had more rawness to them, but i still enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

The Batman Who Laughs came out last week; man, was it crazy. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this event series

some of the coolest pics from the issue (no real spoilers):

Spoiler:

Old 01-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Dark Nights: Metal will be wrapped up six weeks after this Wednesday when issue #5 will be released

Spoiler:

The Justice League faces the final extinguishing of our world, invaded on all sides by unimaginable nightmares, fueled on to the edge of oblivion only by the belief that there must be a light in the endless darkness—somewhere. But…what if there’s not?

Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt will be released February 14th

Spoiler:

The Dark Knights ride through the farthest reaches of the Multiverse to track down the unlikeliest of teams: The Flash, Cyborg, Raven and Detective Chimp. The mission: keep these heroes from completing their desperate quest to save all of existence! Plus, Challengers’ Mountain crackles with dark energy that will release an army of the world’s worst nightmares into the streets of Gotham City!
This one-shot also answers the question: Where are the Metal Men? And who is the latest addition to the team?

Dark Nights: Metal #6 will conclude the event series and be released March 14th

Spoiler:

All roads lead…to darkness. In the devastating and epic conclusion to DC’s cataclysmic event series, heroes from across the universe make their final charge into the unknown to battle the forces of the Dark Multiverse! Space and time, dreams and nightmares, all will collide—and what is left at the end will leave the DC Universe irrevocably changed!
Old 01-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The Batman Who Laughs is probably my favorite Snyder creation ever.

I really, really, REALLY want him and his Crows to stick around. Those are freaking scary.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The Batman Who Laughs is probably my favorite Snyder creation ever.

I really, really, REALLY want him and his Crows to stick around. Those are freaking scary.
Yeah, a Joker x Batman combo is a pretty great addition to the DC multiverse. I think I remember reading somewhere that they were already planning on using him in future stories.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
AquaParade
Banned

I can get behind other creators getting a shot at "The Batman who laughs".

I see a lot of fun potential with Batman vs Batman type stories.