Notices

View Poll Results: Did the FW cartoon have good comedy
Yes 31 79.49%
No 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #41
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It was funny sometimes, but I enjoyed the dry humor a lot more as an adult.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #42
billbot85
Mad Scientist

I'm sure I laughed a lot watching the show as a kid. I know I definitely laugh watching it now. Raph, Krang, and Shredder's one-liners have definitely struck me funny more than once.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #43
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I do rather enjoy Shredder and Krang's jabs at each other... Not that I can think of any right off the top of my head, but yeah.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #44
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The humor was very self-aware parody and drywall satire humor. It's a lot different than say the humor in the Nick cartoon, which goes for the modern cartoon approach of "loud and in your face" type humor.
Yep, that's why I could never get the humour of the 4Kids series. Any sporadic attempts at humour were cringe worthy and really unfunny. I'm not sure but I'm guessing the Nick show is like that as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well there was... Uhm... Well... I mean... Hm... How many are you asking for? Let's see... This really hard...
Yes you don't like the Fred Wolf series, we get it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
My favourite funny moment is when Casey Jones gets hired in Corporate Raiders for Dimension X.
That was great! Even at the time I thought that was funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I found it so bizzare how the turtles didnt recognize bebop and rocksteady through those disguises. Either disguises in the FW show look much more convincing within the show than to us the audience or the turtles were just messing around with those two on purpose.
I mean the writers knew what they were doing. They knew how ridiculous these situations were but they just went with it and some of these results are priceless like the Casey scene mentioned above. The humour was always a very underrated part of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't really laugh as in the, "tremendous amount of laughter" aspect like you would in a movie theater, but I do crack a smile and chuckle at some of the funnier or more amusing moments.
Any TV show does a good job if it can create a good balance between the differing elements.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #45
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

This desperately needed a "sometimes" option. FW TMNT could go through a lot of different styles and quality levels, and the humor is no different.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #46
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
the show had it's moments.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #47
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Irma

Irma was great in one episode when she said something about she was not a pickup girl.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #48
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Irma was great in one episode when she said something about she was not a pickup girl.
I don't remember that episode, but I thought Irma said a few good one-liners in the episode "Convicts from Dimension X."
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #49
Overlord

Donatello's Badd Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I don't remember that episode, but I thought Irma said a few good one-liners in the episode "Convicts from Dimension X."
Or maybe Donatello's Badd Time?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #50
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
This desperately needed a "sometimes" option. FW TMNT could go through a lot of different styles and quality levels, and the humor is no different.
I would have chosen "rarely" myself.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #51
Overlord

It at least has the best humour of all three animated TMNT series yet existing.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #52
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
It at least has the best humour of all three animated TMNT series yet existing.
Yes definitely!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #53
Prowler
Emperor

Sometimes but mostly good than bad. Raphael's jokes were clever and Krang and Shredder had funny interactions with each other.

It certainly was better than 2k3 TMNT humour. 2k3 Mike just doesn't have Rob Paulsen's wit and delivery.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #54
clockstomper
Thug

I liked the initial FW run, there were some creativity and fun adventures in those episodes. But the creativity and effort die as the show goes on, to the point it's clear they're recycling scripts from other shows a few seasons in. I think the only bright spots are the instances where the actors injected their own lines into garbage scripts.

The 2k3 show had very different goals, so I don't think it's a fair comparison. I like it better than FW, it was mining from years of comic adventures so there were always varied and interesting adventures on screen for the Turtles to go on. Even the original stuff in the first 4 seasons was pretty creative. I don't know that you can call the comedy in it a failure, the clear focus was on character development. I'd say it was a wise choice to have less comedy than to force a ton of it into scripts that aren't focused on that. Writing against your strengths is never a good idea.

And we have proof of that: Fast Forward. "It's ninja time" makes me cringe. It's like they thought the future premise was enough so they didn't put any effort into making the episodes funny or entertaining as long as future stuff was floating around (like jangling keys in front of a baby.)

Real winner for comedy? 1990 movie. So many quotable lines.
clockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #55
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

It certainly was better than 2k3 TMNT humour. 2k3 Mike just doesn't have Rob Paulsen's wit and delivery.
Plus Classic Raph was smartass funny... not dumbass funny. 2003 Mikey and 2012 Mikey both have the 'dumb is funny' thing going for them, which I really hate seeing poor Mikey being typecast as that.

So many cartoons rely on characters being random, loud, stupid, or all three to be funny. Kinda can't wait to see if they really will bring back the Animaniacs so Yakko Warner can bring smartass funny back.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #56
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Plus Classic Raph was smartass funny... not dumbass funny. 2003 Mikey and 2012 Mikey both have the 'dumb is funny' thing going for them, which I really hate seeing poor Mikey being typecast as that.

So many cartoons rely on characters being random, loud, stupid, or all three to be funny. Kinda can't wait to see if they really will bring back the Animaniacs so Yakko Warner can bring smartass funny back.
Yep, exactly. Mike in the FW series also was a bit slow and immature at times, but he was a lot more bearable as were his constant pizza jokes.

Yakko was also voiced by Paulsen, wasn't he? As was Mighty Max. Mighty Max had a quite similar personality to FW Raphael. It was like Raphael turned human
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #57
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockstomper View Post
The 2k3 show had very different goals, so I don't think it's a fair comparison. I like it better than FW, it was mining from years of comic adventures so there were always varied and interesting adventures on screen for the Turtles to go on. Even the original stuff in the first 4 seasons was pretty creative. I don't know that you can call the comedy in it a failure, the clear focus was on character development. I'd say it was a wise choice to have less comedy than to force a ton of it into scripts that aren't focused on that. Writing against your strengths is never a good idea.

And we have proof of that: Fast Forward. "It's ninja time" makes me cringe. It's like they thought the future premise was enough so they didn't put any effort into making the episodes funny or entertaining as long as future stuff was floating around (like jangling keys in front of a baby.)
"What the shell" got tiresome after a while.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #58
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
"What the shell" got tiresome after a while.
I remember newcomers/casuals that only watched Turtles Forever for the 80s crew and never watched the 2K3 show all hated 'what the shell?'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #59
Overlord

Quote:
I remember newcomers/casuals that only watched Turtles Forever for the 80s crew and never watched the 2K3 show all hated 'what the shell?'.
I didn't care back then. I hadn't seen much of the 2003-2009 series in English back then. Hadn't even seen all its episodes.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #60
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
It's a pretty weird hang-up. Pretty sure the FW cartoon had similar puns up the ass, so I don't get why that one would be bothering them.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote