The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

How do you keep the "Ninja" in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"?

Do you guys just want a TMNT series or movie that puts emphasis on the "Ninja" in TMNT rather then on the "Teenage" part? Like the show should have a much heavier focus on them being ninja warriors first then showing the teenage aspect.

Nick turtles was the first show that actually show them being kids with kid problems.

Then it happen again in Rise but instead of teen angst, it had showed them wanting to do fun kid things instead of dealing with teen angst. Although they did had teenage problems in the beginning with their Dad but it got resolved at the end of season 1.

So it can be done, but what I am really getting here is that the ninja aspect has become almost an artifact of the franchise. When the Shredder is gone, they are nothing more but vigilantes with a ninja aesthetic, and if you take away that too of them being crime fighters, then they are silent observers that are wondering aimlessly through the city or the ****ing woods until a brick falls through a window or something.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 10-26-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:41 PM   #2
garsh
Foot Soldier

I expect to be the unpopular opinion award winner of this thread, but no, I want less ninja. To me, the ninja angle would be best used as little more than an excuse to justify them fighting. Other than that, the point about it I find interesting is the underlying humor.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:00 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They've never even tried ninja once. Since Mirage.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:46 AM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I googled Ninja to get the definition and the first result is some green haired youtuber. I hate the internet.

Anyway, “ A ninja was a skilled fighter in feudal Japan, starting in the fourteenth or fifteenth century. Today, people like to call themselves ninjas for doing anything well — from making a touchdown to surviving a treacherous obstacle course. In Japanese, the word ninja means "spy." ”

As long they keep on fighting and spying, they’re ninjas. Heck even Naruto/Boruto fights in broad daylight instead of concealed in the shadows so it’s not really exclusive to stay hidden.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Clan warfare, blood feuds, killing their enemies.

It'll never happen again.

At this point, Nick might as well dust off the old "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" branding from the UK.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Aren't ninja's just stealth assassins? Basically what a modern day hitman would be. Only in Japan they were stealthy and jumped along rooftops and used grappling ropes and threw shurikens or daggers at whoever their target was.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
ABrown
Banned

So, maybe have a more adult version where they're more like anti-heroes? They could do a stand alone movie, like the DC Universe DTV films.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Aren't ninja's just stealth assassins? Basically what a modern day hitman would be. Only in Japan they were stealthy and jumped along rooftops and used grappling ropes and threw shurikens or daggers at whoever their target was.
Yeah, pretty much.

Silencers (or what Hollywood thinks a silencer is), sniper rifles, garrotes, lurking in shadowy corners...
Old 10-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh View Post
I expect to be the unpopular opinion award winner of this thread, but no, I want less ninja. To me, the ninja angle would be best used as little more than an excuse to justify them fighting. Other than that, the point about it I find interesting is the underlying humor.
Uh, yeah, it's for the best if it is an unpopular opinion. If it's just an excuse to explain how they know martial arts, then there's no point in making them ninjas specifically, is there?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
skylord
Thug

I've always gotten more of a samurai vibe from newer incarnations of TMNT. Honor is way more of a samurai thing. If they wanted to be more ninja like without killing (I'm tryin to work with the corporate mandates even if they suck) then I guess you could just get them to be more stealthy. I feel like stealth is mentioned occasionally but never feels like a focal point. rarely do they see consequences for being seen by random strangers.

Though I don't consider the ninja part to be my favorite. If I were to rank each part of the name in terms of importance for me

1. Mutant: Exploring origins, how to navigate the world, existential stuff. This is what is most interesting to me.
2. Teenage: Throw in some coming of age material with the above for some great emotional conflict. Teenagers are whiny and insecure. Amps up the drama.
3. Ninja: Cool fighting stuff, makes for fun action and grants the characters some purpose.
4. Turtles: Very silly part of the name. If they were a different species I'd say you could tell most of the stories unchanged. Maybe there's an alternate universe where its Teenage Mutant Ninja Tapirs. Can't change it now but I consider it low importance.
skylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #11
garsh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
If it's just an excuse to explain how they know martial arts, then there's no point in making them ninjas specifically, is there?
Sure there is. The specific term, ninja, carries distinct connotations about stealth and especially a cool factor. The gag of juxtaposing slow, awkward creatures with a sleek, agile reputation doesn't come across better any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylord View Post
I've always gotten more of a samurai vibe from newer incarnations of TMNT. Honor is way more of a samurai thing. ... I feel like stealth is mentioned occasionally but never feels like a focal point. rarely do they see consequences for being seen by random strangers.

Though I don't consider the ninja part to be my favorite. If I were to rank each part of the name in terms of importance for me

1. Mutant: Exploring origins, how to navigate the world, existential stuff. This is what is most interesting to me.
2. Teenage: Throw in some coming of age material with the above for some great emotional conflict. Teenagers are whiny and insecure. Amps up the drama.
3. Ninja: Cool fighting stuff, makes for fun action and grants the characters some purpose.
4. Turtles: Very silly part of the name. If they were a different species I'd say you could tell most of the stories unchanged. Maybe there's an alternate universe where its Teenage Mutant Ninja Tapirs. Can't change it now but I consider it low importance.
Excellent points. I agree strongly with your criteria, but for me the rank would be "Mutant Turtle Teenage Ninjas."
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I mean, I'd be open to a Teenage Mutant Samurai Turtles take. But it would have to be done with the seriousness and maturity of Mirage's take on TMNT. No cartoon / any-other-comic-than-Mirage halfway measures.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
Do you guys just want a TMNT series or movie that puts emphasis on the "Ninja" in TMNT rather then on the "Teenage" part?
Yes, please. I'm not a fan of trying to put the "teenage" part front and center. It may be the first word in the title, but it wasn't the first written down or the first trait given when Eastman and Laird were goofing off and 'accidentally' created this hit. Ninja Turtles was the initial title... with teenage and mutant added as a joke against comic trends of the time.

It was fun to go more teen-like for 2012, but that's enough. That one worked as it was a well done show, but now the "teen" push just feels forced. (What with Rise and now that next movie wants to do it too as if it hasn't been done already. >.<) It doesn't need to become a permanent thing and wish to go back to it largely being "teenage" in name only.

Most of all, I just wish for something to drop that part of the title and allow them to be older for once. I mean, these guys are 36, pushing 37 next month if you consider those first sketches their "birth," let the poor boys grow up a bit for once (in something other than comics), instead of just regressing more, huh?

As for portraying the ninja aspect... Obviously modern urban ninjas will have their own unique qualities and flavor as they live in a different world and have different obstacles and things to deal with verses those back in the times of feudal Japan. I don't expect it to match the real and total definition, and being modern people they themselves would never truly be just like the ninjas of centuries ago because they'll never be in those shoes or ever fully grasp that lifestyle, but if we have the martial arts, weapons, stealth and taking out foes, etc, it works. (And let Leo keep bringing a little of that wannabe Samurai vibe to create interesting differences in their views, values, priorities, wants in life, and so on.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #14
skylord
Thug

I wouldn't mind seeing a TMNT story that starts with them as teenagers (cause its part of the name and I think its mostly unavoidable now) but has a long timeskip after a big event.

I'm also generally a fan of a good timeskip. It's fun to have an idea of where characters are going to go and then see where they actually ended up, filling in the holes along the way.
skylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They've never even tried ninja once. Since Mirage.
Well it's obvious that you've never heard of Image Comics, pal.

AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #16
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

I guess it depends on how much thought someone put in the world building and their background which sets the tone of the series.

If they are constantly being pulled into gang wars because of someone or somebody, then yeah they all are going to have to be super serious military ninjas or else they will all die.

If they are just guys living in the sewers that are trying to co-exist then it just a bunch of slice of life stories but with them being mutants as the primary source of the conflict. The only way they can live peacefully while able to do the most basic things like getting food or birthday present for their dad is using stealthy ninja mode tricks or setting very elaborate costumes and plans.

And sometimes they just goddamn magnet of chaos, which is pretty much what happens in volume 2 and 4 of the Mirage series.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Well it's obvious that you've never heard of Image Comics, pal.

Mirage and Image are the same continuity, Peter Laird and his "non canon" be damned!!!