The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Why doesn't reruns of the original cartoon show up anywhere? I've seen He-Man, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats. Why no TMNT?
TMNT (at least prior to the Nick buyout) wasn't owned by any of those companies like Time Warner, Hasbro, or Disney, so they probably didn't want to pay the licensing fee.

Even to this day Nick technically doesn't own the original cartoon, they're still owned by Fred Wolf.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #22
cammy85
Stone Warrior

They used to be on Teletoon Retro in Canada before it was rebranded to Cartoon Network Canada. But only the first 26 episodes, so it cuts out RIGHT before Enter The Rat King. So annoying!! Same with Real Ghostbusters.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #23
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
90s kids still had the early seasons until 1993, as the first 3 seasons continued to air weekdays in syndication while the new Saturday episodes were airing. At that point, both sets of reruns moved to USA until 1996 when the show stopped airing forever.
In the early to mid 90s, 80s kids were into the TMNT movies, while 90s kids were late to the party. 90s kids caught the early syndicated episodes after 80s kids had seen most of them. 80s kids made the syndicated series popular enough for there to be a Saturday morning Fred Wolf series in the 90s. As far as I’m concerned, 80s kids really experienced Turtlemania in 1990 as 90s kids had a part in it, but they missed the boat (when TMNT was a fad in ‘89). 90s kids might have seen the 1990 movie, but they were too young to understand the impact it had on children of the 80s. Basically, 90s kids watched everything TMNT on TV, but they did not know why it was a Saturday morning TV show in the fall of 1990.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #24
sdp
Megan Fox = April

TMNT is 80s kids Pokemon for the 90s. We got to enjoy full Pokemania in the 90s but we were the older kids who were about to become teenagers.
I still stand that TMNT is more of a 90s kids thing even if it means that Pokemon is more of a 2000's kids thing.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't see what's so hard to see an overlap. Kids became teenagers but a lot were still into the franchise. Not to mention some who get into a franchise "late" and wasn't around at the start.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #26
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
TMNT is 80s kids Pokemon for the 90s. We got to enjoy full Pokemania in the 90s but we were the older kids who were about to become teenagers.
I still stand that TMNT is more of a 90s kids thing even if it means that Pokemon is more of a 2000's kids thing.
TMNT is definitely a Xennial and Millennial phenomenon in the same way that Pokémon was for Millennials and Generation Z. Both TMNT and Pokémon are noted as pop culture for Millennials. TMNT was a bigger deal in the very early 90s than it was in the 80s. For that reason alone, TMNT stuff is not usually included in books on the 1980s like Masters of the Universe or Transformers. Baby Boomers remember TMNT as a 90s craze because the toys were always sold out in 1990. Some 80s kids refer to TMNT as an 80s thing because they remember when the syndicated TV show was very popular. 90s kids liked the CBS episodes, whereas 80s kids say the network change is when TMNT jumped the shark (the grappling hook instead of nunchucks). 90s kids knew the franchise when everything was toned down (CBS series, Coming Out of Their Shells, and sequels). Overall, TMNT was a cusp thing. TMNT was a fad in ‘89 and a craze in ‘90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't see what's so hard to see an overlap. Kids became teenagers but a lot were still into the franchise. Not to mention some who get into a franchise "late" and wasn't around at the start.
Both Xennials and Millennials discovered the franchise late, but some Xennials knew of TMNT before Core Millennials (90s kids). To most Xennials, TMNT is 80s. To Core Millennials, TMNT is 90s.

Last edited by mikey0; 10-28-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #27
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
I just don't like to be grouped with 80s kids, i will do all the mental gymnastics to separate myself from that group.

I shiver to think people picture me like this

Last edited by sdp; 10-28-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah despite being born in the 80's I was an infant so I really consider myself more of a 90's kid. TMNT is really the only franchise from the 80's I like, besides the debut of the NES/Mario in 1985.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #29
mikey0
Foot Elite

TMNT was the only game in town in the very early 90s. As time went on, 90s kids moved on to X-Men the Animated Series and Batman the Animated Series (shows that we all know 90s kids love). I think 90s kids stuck with TMNT longer in the 90s than 80s kids (excluding Shellheads), but 80s kids claim it as theirs. Like you said CyberCubed, 80s kids were growing up in the 90s and watching The Simpsons and Beverly Hills 90210. Still, 80s kids were watching [what is now] the classic episodes of TMNT all throughout the early 90s. 80s kids were introduced to TMNT through the mini-series and syndicated seasons, while 90s kids found out about TMNT through the craze.

Quote:
Yeah despite being born in the 80's I was an infant so I really consider myself more of a 90's kid. TMNT is really the only franchise from the 80's I like, besides the debut of the NES/Mario in 1985.
People born in the early to mid 80s are 80s kids since they saw some part of the 1980s. Late 80s borns are 90s kids. Late 80s borns were too young in the 1980s to absorb the pop culture of the time.

Last edited by mikey0; 10-28-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I just don't like to be grouped with 80s kids, i will do all the mental gymnastics to separate myself from that group.

I shiver to think people picture me like this
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...PLo2BCxVTcS7Tg
Don't worry. None of us would ever wanna claim you, either. So it's win/win.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:44 AM   #31
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I consider myself an 80s kid. The majority of my childhood was in the 80s. Early 90s I would've been going into that adolescent stage. Anyway, I associate the Fred Wolf Series with being the 80s series because it started in the 80s and that's when I first started watching it (pre-CBS). If I were going to categorize it, though, I'd probably just refer to it as Pre-CBS, CBS, and Red Sky.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #32
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
90s kids still had the early seasons until 1993, as the first 3 seasons continued to air weekdays in syndication while the new Saturday episodes were airing. At that point, both sets of reruns moved to USA until 1996 when the show stopped airing forever.
90s kids missed that whole late 1987 to early 1990 era of the Fred Wolf cartoon. First, the miniseries aired in December of 1987. Then, the first season was shown in September of 1988. Lastly, the arcade game, trading cards, VHS tapes, and TMNT action figures with the pop-up mutant displays were around.

When the CBS SatAM cartoon aired, we were in a new era. The Millennial era of TMNT.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:05 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Kids can watch reruns. The toys/show were still on shelves well into the mid 90's. I know because I was there.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #34
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah, TMNT rode all the toy trends in the 90s to remain relevant on the shelves, even if not the toy seller it used to be, there was enough demand for playmates to keep pushing out stuff for most of the 90s until like 98.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Definitely, they even re-released a whole bunch of classic figures after Next Mutation ended and that's when I picked most of them up as I was 12-13 at the time and old enough to want to replace my old broken figures from when I was a kid.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #36
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Definitely, they even re-released a whole bunch of classic figures after Next Mutation ended and that's when I picked most of them up as I was 12-13 at the time and old enough to want to replace my old broken figures from when I was a kid.
Man at that time I had moved on completely to video games as a kid but I wish I had picked more of those TNM and rereleases at that time.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of ironic to think TMNT ended like 1 year before the Pokemon craze hit the west in 1998. Had TMNT continued it would have been wiped out completely by then anyway.

As a kid it felt an eternity apart, but it's so weird to think Next Mutation ended literally the same year Pokemon came out here. The passage of time as a kid felt so slow but if this happened now it'd feel like immediately after.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #38
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
It's kind of ironic to think TMNT ended like 1 year before the Pokemon craze hit the west in 1998. Had TMNT continued it would have been wiped out completely by then anyway.

As a kid it felt an eternity apart, but it's so weird to think Next Mutation ended literally the same year Pokemon came out here. The passage of time as a kid felt so slow but if this happened now it'd feel like immediately after.
Those are exactly my thoughts, something that lasted 4 years felt like forever, now if a show gets 4 years it's almost as it came and went. Same with consoles, movies etc, everything just feels more magnified as a kid.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #39
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

TMNT was 80s and 90s, while Pokémon was 90s and 2000s. I was getting a little nostalgic for the end of the 80s and start of the 90s when I saw the re-releases at KB Toys and Big Lots in the early 2000s.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pokemon came out in the west in 1998, it was literally only around for the tail-end of the 90's in its last 2 years.