Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #441
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nothing personal.
No offense taken.

I wonder whether the next film will be darker or lighter in tone.

Since the 2018 show will be lighter than the Nick show, which was darker than the PD movies, I wonder if that will have any bearing on what the next movie will be like.

Will they try to gain a wider audience by making a tmnt film for adults while kids enjoy the Rise show?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #442
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
No offense taken.

Since the 2018 show will be lighter than the Nick show, which was darker than the PD movies, I wonder if that will have any bearing on what the next movie will be like.

Will they try to gain a wider audience by making a tmnt film for adults while kids enjoy the Rise show?
  1. Well, the PD series is dead so I guess making it darker is the best way to distance future movies from it?
  2. I really have no idea what to think of what Rise will be like, it will take inspiration from the PD movies yet be lighter and goofier than the Nick show, I honestly can't imagine how that'll work out.
  3. Seems logical, too bad we're not dealing with logical producers...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #443
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It all depends. On the one hand, I would think they would look at the failure of the Bay movies and look at them as stern warnings of what NOT to do... on the other, they may look at the Bay movies in retrospect and go, "Huh... maybe they were 'too adult.' Let's aim even younger!" That's exactly what they're doing with "Rise," in response to the original Nick show's diminished ratings. The very first press release about Rise touted it as being "more lighthearted" and "comedic" than the existing Nick show. The Nick show has always been pretty lighthearted and comedic.

I don't have a lot of faith at this point.

Quote:
So far I haven't really seen anything from them to indicate they even acknowledge an older (and when I say "older," I mean over the age of 12) audience, let alone any desire on their part to encourage or cater to one.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #444
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

If kids back in 1990 loved the first tmnt film,I see no reason why they wouldn't like a darker tmnt film in todays age of gritty reboots.

I have a feeling that if Rise suddenly becomes a big hit and brings on the second turtlemania, that will give the creators of the film more liberty over the next film since the tmnt brand would generate good profit anyway.

On the other hand, if the show only performs average, then Nick will play it safe and make the next movie as light as the show by listening to what the charts say about the latest trends and their profit potential.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #445
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Look at this Andrew post on the third page, everything he said here was the exact opposite of what happened, it's like his worst fears come true:
That post is hilarious! It's okay Andrew, honestly we could have all got those things wrong.

Quote:
That cuts pretty deep.
Andrew needs to daily bash the FW series like he takes vitamins. It's the law alright!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #446
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
If it's like Out of the Shadows, I'll enjoy it.
um, yeah! it's going to be EXACTLY like Out of the shadows.

btw...i hope you were only joking.

Quote:
It all depends. On the one hand, I would think they would look at the failure of the Bay movies and look at them as stern warnings of what NOT to do... on the other, they may look at the Bay movies in retrospect and go, "Huh... maybe they were 'too adult.' Let's aim even younger!" That's exactly what they're doing with "Rise," in response to the original Nick show's diminished ratings. The very first press release about Rise touted it as being "more lighthearted" and "comedic" than the existing Nick show. The Nick show has always been pretty lighthearted and comedic.

I don't have a lot of faith at this point.

^ THIS is what the next movie is gonna be like! i'm TELLIN' ya!!!

Last edited by myconius; 09-22-2017 at 06:55 AM.
myconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #447
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
LOL, at the time this thread was made I was only 24. Goddamn, where does the time go? We're all a lot more hopeful and bright-eyed in our early 20's then as cynical adults.
I was 19.

At first, the Viacom purchase of the property and the announcement of a new movie looked very promising, so no point in chastising Andrew for being hopeful these movies would turn out good. I also initially believed that
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #448
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
If kids back in 1990 loved the first tmnt film,I see no reason why they wouldn't like a darker tmnt film in todays age of gritty reboots.
Very true.

Quote:
I have a feeling that if Rise suddenly becomes a big hit and brings on the second turtlemania, that will give the creators of the film more liberty over the next film since the tmnt brand would generate good profit anyway.

On the other hand, if the show only performs average, then Nick will play it safe and make the next movie as light as the show by listening to what the charts say about the latest trends and their profit potential.
I doubt Rise will lead to Turtlemania part 2. Partly because it seems so thrown together but mostly because the wave of popularity enjoyed by the franchise in the 80s and early 90s is something I don't will ever be properly replicated.

I tend to think there's been a diminishing returns with the shows. The success of the Fred Wolf show era speaks for itself, the 4kids show can seem like the awkward, overlooked middle child but for two years in a row it's toys where the best selling and it had a slew of mediocre but commercially successful video games, the Nicktoon can seem a big deal with being broadcast in the nerd media era and having prime time specials and all but frankly it seems less of a hit with it's intended audience of kids the '03 show which in turn was clearly much less of a hit than the '87 show.

Of course if Rise does become a success then it's 50/50 whether they would try and replicate the show's formula in a theatrical movie or treat TV and movies as separate entities for very different audiences. This all assume that even with a hit show a movie would be on the cards, frankly after Out of the Shadows I still think pitching a new TMNT movie to a studio would be an uphill battle.

Last edited by Galactus; 09-23-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #449
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I think they are mainly focusing on kids, at the near exclusion of the adults. I'd be surprised if they came out with a more 'grownup' movie, since the (unfortunate) mentality is that these movies are merely a vehicle to sell toys. Having a more mature and darker TMNT might go against that idea.

The only way I could see someone challenging this, is if some smaller indie director decides to make some darker TMNT movies and these prove to be good (showing there is a potential audience for this stuff) or that the child market (or toy market) is no longer profitable. Otherwise they will continue to cater to children since studios tend to be risk adverse now, and they want to make certain bank.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #450
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
At first, the Viacom purchase of the property and the announcement of a new movie looked very promising, so no point in chastising Andrew for being hopeful these movies would turn out good. I also initially believed that
I'm always sceptical of modern movies and I kind of hate to be right when the stuff I like turns out the way it does.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #451
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant

How is it with the rights? If a new movie would happen', could it be made by an other studio as Platinum Dunes? Or can Viacom lend it to other studios too?

What are the possibilities?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #452
Powder
So tired of this place

Another studio could do it, but it would still be a Paramount production, as far as I know.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #453
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Another studio could do it, but it would still be a Paramount production, as far as I know.
Yeah, I assume it’s like with Batman films being a WB property.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:18 PM   #454
sdp
-

I like the PD movies well enough for what they are, not great cinema but there's enough there for me to like.

I'm still incredibly bitter by the sale to Viacom, remember the movie Laird was promising us? Sure it could've been all a lie but it did seem like it was going to happen, and all of that got scrapped and we got these movies instead, now that is the salt on the wound more than the movie themselves.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #455
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm still incredibly bitter by the sale to Viacom, remember the movie Laird was promising us? Sure it could've been all a lie but it did seem like it was going to happen, and all of that got scrapped and we got these movies instead, now that is the salt on the wound more than the movie themselves.
Laird workd on the 2007 movie and thought that was "great and dark," meanwhile it was just ok.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #456
sdp
-

You can't tell me you weren't excited when we were being promised a dark mirage like movie with Baxter as the villian and using real suits with CG like where the wild things are.

Sure it might've not been all it was promised but at least the potential was there. All of that was scrapped for alien turtles and white shredder as the new plan for the movie after the sale.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #457
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Laird workd on the 2007 movie and thought that was "great and dark," meanwhile it was just ok.
I need a quote other wise I don't believe that the same man who violently killed off his main antagonist in the first issue would consider 2k7 dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
You can't tell me you weren't excited when we were being promised a dark mirage like movie with Baxter as the villian and using real suits with CG like where the wild things are.

Sure it might've not been all it was promised but at least the potential was there. All of that was scrapped for alien turtles and white shredder as the new plan for the movie after the sale.
Yeah I was pretty bummed to. Especially sense it seemed so likely to happen.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 PM   #458
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Thanks! That's good news. We still got hope!
Old 12-30-2017, 11:43 PM   #459
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Maybe Tarantino can do this after Star Trek XIV.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:52 PM   #460
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Maybe Tarantino can do this after Star Trek XIV.
And break his 10-movies-rule? I'm not sure of that...

I still wish a Malick-directed adaptation of Soul Winter

PS.: or Fincher doing City at War?

Tags
live action films