The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #901
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I predict I'm going to like this show for what it is.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:45 PM   #902
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Turtle Fan View Post
I bet those douchers playmates had a lot to do with this sh*t
LOL, what? I doubt Playmates had anything to do with this.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #903
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

I think we're spiralling toward another "hibernation period" for the TMNT anyway. The BayTurtles movies were cancelled and now they're going for a big animation shake-up to try to defibrillate cratering toy/merch sales. We've seen this move twice before and it didn't work either time. This show will be a lot cheaper to produce, but... any time they add gimmicks beyond the core concept it's bound for failure, IMO.

If this is all true, I find it funny that they're still clinging to elements of the garbage BayTurtles concepts/designs. That's corporate thinking, isn't it? Acquire something popular and beloved, arbitrarily change it just to "put your mark on it", then when it gets a bad reaction absolutely refuse to listen to the customers who reject it because obviously you know better.

If Nick is struggling with how to handle the property, it's for the best if it takes a time-out. I hope the IDW comic continues, and it's doing well enough that I feel it will. I'm happy with that.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #904
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I think we're spiralling toward another "hibernation period" for the TMNT anyway. We've seen this move twice before and it didn't work either time. This show will be a lot cheaper to produce, but... any time they add gimmicks beyond the core concept it's bound for failure, IMO.
What are you referring to? The FF seasons of 4kids were always planned.

Quote:
If Nick is struggling with how to handle the property, it's for the best if it takes a time-out. I hope the IDW comic continues, and it's doing well enough that I feel it will. I'm happy with that.
Nick isn't "struggling" to handle the property. The Nick cartoon had a 5 year run which was planned from the start. IDW TMNT is on course to hit 100 issues and shows no signs of stopping.

This new show was likely going to happen either way.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #905
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

At the very least, big-time TV shows might take a little break. Maybe we'll get a movie between big shows (like the 2007 movie which I daren't touch), but other than that, there just needs to be a brand new team with different writers and designers who will at least care a little bit.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #906
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I think we're spiralling toward another "hibernation period" for the TMNT anyway. The BayTurtles movies were cancelled and now they're going for a big animation shake-up to try to defibrillate cratering toy/merch sales. We've seen this move twice before and it didn't work either time. This show will be a lot cheaper to produce, but... any time they add gimmicks beyond the core concept it's bound for failure, IMO.
The future of a franchise is never a certainty, but sometimes it's worthwhile to give something a chance because of what creative folks make it into, regardless of the corporate justification for its existence. The whole reason Batman Beyond exists as part of the Bat-mythos is because the studio wanted to take the franchise in a younger direction for children's television. The creative team made the most of it. I hope the same will be true of this new show, whatever its artistic style.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #907
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What are you referring to? The FF seasons of 4kids were always planned.
"Always"? I have no inside information, so I can't dispute that with evidence, but the change was pretty abrupt and had all the hallmarks of a toy/marketing decision rather than a creative one.

Quote:
Nick isn't "struggling" to handle the property. The Nick cartoon had a 5 year run which was planned from the start. IDW TMNT is on course to hit 100 issues and shows no signs of stopping.

This new show was likely going to happen either way.
Maybe I worded that too harshly, but I do feel there's a lack of cohesive "vision" at play with different iterations happening all at once. I enjoy the current show and the IDW comic quite a bit, but the movies were a cynical overly-marketing-focused misfire, and the concept/designs leaked from the new cartoon suggest it's banking on adding unnecessary gimmicks and mimicking popular styles from other cartoons. I might be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But it feels like there's a bit of a scattershot approach at play here.

And maybe that's the natural result of a property like TMNT, that's gone from parody to grim-and-gritty to goofy-kids'-stuff to attempts to balance them all a few times over. Is a cohesive vision even possible? Especially in this low-attention-span, over-saturated media market where you can't just let things develop naturally.

Last edited by Bry; 07-31-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #908
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
"Always"? I have no inside information, so I can't dispute that with evidence, but the change was pretty abrupt and had all the hallmarks of a toy/marketing decision rather than a creative one.
We had Peter Laird to tell us that. It was always planned after Season 5.

Quote:
Maybe I worded that too harshly, but I do feel there's a lack of cohesive "vision" at play with different iterations happening all at once. I enjoy the current show and the IDW comic quite a bit, but the movies were a cynical overly-marketing-focused misfire, and the concept/designs leaked from the new cartoon suggest it's banking on adding unnecessary gimmicks and mimicking popular styles from other cartoons. I might be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But it feels like there's a bit of a scattershot approach at play here.?
You're comparing completely different takes on the franchise aimed at different people. Nick and IDW had two different visions as well as the movies. Same thing in the 90's when we had the original cartoon, Mirage and the live-action movie trilogy all at the same time. 3 completely different versions of the franchise, and Archie, all going on at the same time.

There's not supposed to be one cohesive vision. Everytime a new series starts the direction of it is entirely based on whoever the director/writers are. If the 4kids series didn't have Lloyd Goldfine and PL it would have turned out completely different too.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #909
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
We had Peter Laird to tell us that. It was always planned after Season 5.
"Always" meaning when, though? Part of the creative plan since day one? Or after toy sales dropped to a certain point?

Quote:
You're comparing completely different takes on the franchise aimed at different people. Nick and IDW had two different visions as well as the movies. Same thing in the 90's when we had the original cartoon, Mirage and the live-action movie trilogy all at the same time. 3 completely different versions of the franchise, and Archie, all going on at the same time.

There's not supposed to be one cohesive vision. Everytime a new series starts the direction of it is entirely based on whoever the director/writers are. If the 4kids series didn't have Lloyd Goldfine and PL it would have turned out completely different too.
Oh, I totally cop to the fact that the series has never been "cohesive" in the strictest sense. It got popular too fast, went "mainstream" too quickly, for the original roots to get deep enough for that. But even in the '80s/'90s, it felt like two competing "takes" -- Mirage and Fred Wolf. The first movie was an attempt to adapt the comics with some of the Fred Wolf trappings, and they tipped further toward the cartoon in the sequels. Archie was almost the opposite -- it began as a spin-off of the cartoon and over time developed more "mature" storylines like the Mirage comics. All of these developments felt pretty natural, overall.

Of the current runs, the IDW comic and the Nick show feel/felt more creative-driven. I mean, obviously the cartoon is very marketing-driven at the same time, but IMO, Ciro Nieli came at it from a sincere place and understands and cares about the property. The IDW comic is absolutely a love letter to the TMNT as a whole and knows how it "works" very well. But Michael Bay never did, and his cynical approach stunk up the place. The creators of the new show might or might not, but based on the information leaked so far, some doubts are understandable.

Again, I hope I'm wrong to worry. I really do. But that's the concern with corporate vs. creative ownership -- ultimately the people who might care and understand the characters and the stories aren't in any real control. There are no individuals to have trust in, long-term.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #910
snake
Disgusting

As many flaws as it has, I agree that Nick is the most "sincere" incarnation. The people behind it really are TMNT fans, and you can tell- because a lot of creative descisions for that show seemed like they were made by a bunch of enthusiastic fanboys without thinking too deeply about the execution or "should we really do this?".
Old 07-31-2017, 08:35 PM   #911
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
As many flaws as it has, I agree that Nick is the most "sincere" incarnation. The people behind it really are TMNT fans, and you can tell- because a lot of creative descisions for that show seemed like they were made by a bunch of enthusiastic fanboys without thinking too deeply about the execution or "should we really do this?".
The Nick cartoon is the only one I even like. Though you can tell they definitely had a toy-driven mandate going on that hampered what they were trying to do.

But yeah. They probably won't be doing back-to-back Turtles fighting Shredder and a bunch of mutants shows. This is probably the experimental, cheap "cooling off" period before they try something like the existing Nick toon again.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #912
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

What if the new series shows the Turtles what they are doing, when not fighting the foot clan or other mutants, we could see them on there day to day lives.

Kind of like what Teen Titans Go is doing.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #913
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
What if the new series shows the Turtles what they are doing, when not fighting the foot clan or other mutants, we could see them on there day to day lives.

Kind of like what Teen Titans Go is doing.
Pretty good odds it will be something like that.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #914
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
Oh... Ok. I saw the sneak-peak of the new show. And the Turtles do not look the same as in this picture. Sorry, I can not say more now.
What is your role in the TMNT world to always have the sneak peeks and previews of comics and now the new show? I'm very curious.

Hope you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:53 PM   #915
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I was waiting for you to chime in, Artem! Thanks a bunch!
Does he have some affiliation with the show?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM   #916
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
Does he have some affiliation with the show?
I don't know about official connections, but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about, so far as he's at liberty to share.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58094

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #917
snake
Disgusting

Jesus, I feel terrible. Apologies Al, I had no idea you were legit.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #918
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I don't know about official connections, but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about, so far as he's at liberty to share.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58094
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Jesus, I feel terrible. Apologies Al, I had no idea you were legit.
Do not worry, all is well. I would not believe it either.
I really regret that now I can not say more.
Only one thing - TMNT have a different design. 100%.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #919
newfan
Mad Scientist

I can imagine they would promote pizza as unhealthy these days. No Shredder! I guess that would mean no Karai either. I didn't expect to like this as much as 2012 anyway.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:35 AM   #920
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski;1703583
Only one thing - TMNT have a [B
different design[/B]. 100%.
Well thank goodness. I just hope they aren't all muscle bound like Bay Turtles either, I don't mind if they're wearing some clothes or Raph has a different bandana, that stuff has been in the franchise for a while.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters