The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Fan artists, a question, what artwork of your was the most labor intensive?

Well, let's be honest, drawing (whether you do it traditionally or digitally) is hard work. Sketching the thing out, looking it over, decide what you want to keep or what you want to change, inking, coloring, adding texture you name it.

So let's post the artworks we did which took us the most blood sweat and tears to create.

Here's mine.

Okay, this one is a salute to Marvel comics artist Allan Milgrom and a very iconic image he did for the Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-man series. So I had to not only ape one of his best known covers but also do it in HIS style. This one took me the better part of six hours to complete.

To be honest, I'm not quite happy with how Karai's body came out and I also dropped the ball on the R and D letters of "Leonardo"

Then we have this page from "A weird world"

Boy, I was slaving over that big panel, it took me so much time to get all those broken Foot bots right and to make them look like actual invidual footbots, it would have been so much easier if I just gave some general shapes but I figured, why take it easy on yourself when you can also make it difficult?

I dropped the ball on Karai's face in the second panel but made up for that in the third panel when she holds up Hun's medal with a look of disgust on her face. That's one of the best Karai's I did.

This page from "Quiet time"

That kick Casey Jones gives Raph took me so long to sketch out but once I felt I got it right, actually drawing it was a breeze. Normally when working on fight scenes, I work with examples. Not with this one, it was all fee hand, I showed this page to a friend of mine who's actually a sensei and he said that I depicted the kick very accurately.

I dropped the ball on Casey's skin tone, ecoline is super difficult to get right and she ended up looking like a character from the Simpsons.

I really should mention this one from "The full 80%"

The second and third panel with Leo and April are me at my best, the intensity on their faces took me so long to get right. But the large panel of April attacking took me the longest, mostly because of all the inking involved. I used an example here, a scene from "The search for Wolverine." Stockman's lab as evident from episodes such as "The Pig and the Rhino", is actually very vast, it's not all that easy to draw.

So where did I drop the ball? Irma's eyes when April stabs her, other than that, pretty stoked on that one.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Goodness me you made me dig up my old arts and I just cringe at what I made in the past. Oh well, the past taught us valuable lesson and from it we grow.
This is a good reflection of what we did.

1) Donatello vs Casey Jones (Part 3)
- I actually looked up fight choreography from Kick-Ass (a very bloody and brutal comic, love it) and made several tweaks of my own. I remember struggling to get the coloring right and also the backgrounds.

http://turbotails06.deviantart.com/a...RT-3-398741594

2) Karai/Miwa - Dearest daughter/sister
Tried to make a realistic and more mature Karai.

3) Raphael - Part of that World (Part 3)
It?s actually pretty vast amount of coloring and shading for me at that time. I struggled with drawing sewer walls and environment.

http://turbotails06.deviantart.com/a...RT-3-411562007

4) Raphael - Part of that World (Part 16)
New style of shading for me for Raph in the last panel. I haven?t done anything like that since huh.

5) April ROTTMNT
My first time using Procreate on iPad. Pretty hard trying new tool when I was so used to photoshop. Now it?s my main drawing tool!

https://turbotails06.deviantart.com/...Neil-738313267

6) ROTTMNT comic
Because of the new toon colorful graphics, I started experimenting with very vibrant colors too and I?m pleased with it. I still retain some of 2012 colors like the sewer background.

https://turbotails06.deviantart.com/...omic-739015226

7) Raphael - Part of that World (Part 18 & 19)

And because I was influenced by the new color scheme, it reflects in my later artworks too.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Shark_Blade
Emperor

8.) The Wolf Brothers & Mushroom (Life is Strange 2)
I haven?t drawn for quite sometime and was trying out new drawing reference using 3D model tool. Didn?t work as I hoped but it did give me some very basic references to draw on.

9) Dont ever touch my brother! (Life is Strange 2)
I was heavily influenced by The Walking Dead style, with all that bruises and blood. Experimenting with my dark colors with vibrant lighting too. I think it took me 3 days from sketch to finish because I?m always changing it.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:42 AM   #4
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Nice work Sharky, your Karai is exquisite.

Your Rise comic is funny, I don't know if you ever read my "Quiet Time" comic but it also concerned the Turtles' shorts and the way they interact with each other.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #5
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Most of my current and former WIP's have felt labor intensive at times: that's because digital art painting doesn't feel like it comes easy for me, but the results afterwards can be rewarding.

The worst case scenario that can happen? If I turn my image into an eyesore.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm always impressed by your hard work, The Great Saiyaman. You put so much dedication in your pages.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote