View Poll Results: Which one?
Nickelodeon 12 34.29%
IDW 19 54.29%
Not sure 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

The Nickelodeon cartoon compared to the IDW comics.

So I could have posted this in either the Nick section or the comics one, but for the benefit of comparison I thought it might be better here.

So which one of the two currently running TMNT series' do like more?

My personal choice is the IDW series, maybe it's just that I'm closer to the target audience for it but I feel that it's much more consistant in terms of tone, and is generally far more focused in it's story. It's less forgetful about it's characters and they're usually more relatable, as a result I find the characters a bit more compelling.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Amaranthus
Banned

That's like comparing apples and oranges.
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

hmm

Well given I'd probably chose anything over Nick and Bay turtles for that matter, I guess idw. But I have read like nothing of theirs so I can't make my choice a lock. If there was a neither I'd pick that.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Yeah, only if apple were better than oranges.

Which they are.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its hard to compare the two, Cause both have different approaches, However, IDW borrowed heavily from Fred Wolf and other versons, While the Nickelodeon Show borrowed one aspect from Fred Wolf, But went on a different direction.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

You can't compare the formats.

One is a 22 minute family cartoon with a limited number of episodes a season and mid-season breaks.

The other is a monthly comic book that can do things a cartoon just can't within a timeframe, story telling, and "censorship" parameters.

Spoilers maybe I'm not reading the comics because I can't afford them
Spoiler:
You can see Shredder shove blades into Casey's torso on a full page splash in all its glory, but you can't do the same thing in a Nickelodeon family cartoon.

You can't really compare them in any meaningful way outside of which you prefer, more or less. And even then it's not a valid comparison, again, because of the format.

All things to take into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

Up until recently, I preferred the Nick series by a wide margin. Liked it considerably more. I still do, overall (it got my vote & I look forward to new episodes far more than new issues), but lately the Nick series has been a little too reminiscent of the OT for my tastes (in that the episodes of season 3 have all been self-contained mutant of the week stories), & IDW has finally started to feel less like the OT, with stories like City At War & introducing more spiritual themes. So I guess I find them to be on more even playing ground now.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:50 PM   #8
pannoni1
Foot Elite

I like them both for different reasons, thus the "not sure" vote I cast. Nickelodeon is the nice, easy more casual enjoyment that continues in the spirit of the OT, and although it has slipped in quality a bit as of late, it still provides that satrical humor in a safer, more recognizable way than the deeper stories that IDW provides, which has more of an "anything can happen" approach.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #9
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

IDW for now because I like their April so much more then nick's mutant alien telepath ninja in training static character. Also it doesn't suffer from plot amnesia which makes my continuity brain very happy.

Can be argue that nick's tmnt has more style but IDW has substance and weight. They have genuine moments when characters talk about what happen and it's nice because when stuff happens it's not going to get forgotten and we actually get to see how effects the characters in question.

Nick's tmnt has more potential but to me that potential doesn't get met. There are ideas yes most of them hardly get explored and are often forgotten. The IDW's story arcs on the other hand have been building up anticipation since the first volume. It just makes it exciting because you know it going to lead somewhere down the line.

When comes to utilized the location, IDW is better at depicting New York and because they are not limited by their budget, they go crazy and set it anywhere while making it really detail and beautiful.

Also I like Mikey just a little bit more in IDW.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:01 AM   #10
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

hmmm.....

Let's see...
No Capriltello love triangle +
No mutant/alien/psychic April +
No annoying Lovesick Donnie +
April is more motherly and smart +
Mikey seems smarter +
More girls +

I guess IDW gets my vote for now. I honestly haven't even read that much of IDW but Nick has been annoying me so much lately that it doesn't even matter.

(still hope Nick comes back though)
Old 01-03-2015, 03:24 AM   #11
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I adore both, but IDW sometimes has drawings of the turtles look like they're some kind of cutesy ****ing carre bears that is vomit inducing. They're ninjas not cute plushies ugh.

So I pick Nick. I love the horror elements, surprising twists, cinematic camera angles and adult jokes thrown in there. Props to Ciro team.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I adore both, but IDW sometimes has drawings of the turtles look like they're some kind of cutesy ****ing carre bears that is vomit inducing. They're ninjas not cute plushies ugh.

So I pick Nick. I love the horror elements, surprising twists, cinematic camera angles and adult jokes thrown in there. Props to Ciro team.
Uh, send hate mail to Ross Campbell and he might stop?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Uh, send hate mail to Ross Campbell and he might stop?
I have better things to do with my time.

Ah, speaking of IDW, I love the violence in the comic. That part where Shredder stabbed Casey's stomach with his blades! Classic. Almost thought he'd die, bravo IDW!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
Amaranthus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Yeah, only if apple were better than oranges.

Which they are.
That's racist.
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
That's racist.
Would have been far more racist if he started talking about bananas.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #16
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Honestly, I love them both, but as others have said, I like the more mature feel of IDW better, and I DEFINITELY like their Mikey better. He's sweet, fun-loving, but still fairly smart, unlike Nick's version, who has consistently felt rather dumb to me, at least up until the end of season two. He's improved, to be sure, but it took so long that I just got used to him being the one-note "dumb goof". IDW seems to have treated him with more respect as a character. I also love some of the original characters from IDW- Alopex and Hob are becoming favorites of mine, and I like their Slash, Rocksteady, Bebop, and Karai. Nick's Karai and Slash are cool, too, as is Leatherhead, but too many of the characters seem underdeveloped. I'd loved to see more development of Xever/Fishface, Tiger Claw, and Bradford/Rahzar.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah its about a tie for me too. Both series do things better than the other series, and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I honestly see IDW as more of the spiritual successor to the 4kids series using Fred Wolf characters. In other words it feels like what the 2k3 series would have been if Peter Laird allowed original cartoon/Archie characters to be included.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #18
Duke Nukem
Hench Mutant

The comic. It's at least as good or better than the majority of the mirage run. The cartoon, on the other hand, isn't as good as its predecessors, so that's how I compared apples and oranges for this poll.
Duke Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #19
Allio
Foot Elite

I honestly feel like IDW is the best TMNT series in general, though Mirage TMNT easily has the best stories, the only grip I really have with the idw comics is I feel they really dropped the ball on alopex's character.

I also miss Santaclooney's artstyle from City Fall/SHotFC, it's nice he tries to give other artstyles his own kind of twist to them (like his version of Ben Bate's Bebop and Rock Steady or his own version of Ross Campbell's Alopex) I just liked what he did first.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #20
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant

Quote:
More like comparing apples with a slightly different variety of apples - it's a perfectly valid comparison.

I like both, but if pushed, I prefer the Nick series.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idw, nickelodeon