The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #61
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I just like the bit of foreshadowing we get from this cover, look between Slash's legs...
Null...Null has Jedi guards.

"These are not the Mutants you are looking for..."
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #62
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

God, I love that cover. I hope I get one.
I hope Bates gets another arc again soon. I love his style. <3
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #63
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Does anyone know when issues usually go live on comixology? I wouldn't mind waiting up for this
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #64
SDCC
Foot Soldier

Spoiler free review - http://www.superdstuff.com/2015/03/t...animals-2.html

I dunno guys, this might be right up there with SHotFC and Pepproni for me.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #65
corvus
Stone Warrior

Spoiler:
My thoughts:
-Female Null is cool, very devious capitalist plan
-Mondo is getting some characterization, thats good
-Slash needs to shut the hell up
-Ray actually doesn't look like a fifth grader designed him.
-who the hell is sally?
-looking at issue #1, I never saw hob being a protagonist.
-maybe we'll see a null -stockman alliance

Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #66
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I was going to just edit my original post, but ended up rewriting it so much I just figured I'd delete my original message and post a fresh one: Long haphazard thoughts below:

Spoiler:

The series continues to mix a lot of fun with the action. They're really trying to build these mutants as real characters here, with a diverse set of personalities, and I'm glad for it.

I am always drawn to new mutants so I'll jump into that. We now have Sally the Cat (If I'm not mistaken? Can't think of what other animal she might be.) Is she an original creation? A reference to Sally from Busytown? She and Ray Fillet are our last two mutants. Surplus of felines, now we know Hob is getting booted at the end for sure Actually...now that I think about it, in the page and a half we see of her, she's impatient (seems she and Ray have been waiting for a chance to strike for awhile), eager for a battle, while also thinking strategically that they should team up with whoever is fighting Null, and when she sees that they have captured more mutants, she impulsively tries to break out of her cage, hopelessly. So she's impulsive, loyal to mutants...and a cat? Wow, she really is a mirror of Hob. One would think they would get along. Romantic interest? Ally if the group starts to turn on them? Ray doesn't get much other than the implication that he and Sally have been companions for awhile, and he's the more prudent one. Also, he uses words like "conflagration." Here's hoping they mesh with the group well, both as companions and a fighting force. Although I don't know that we have any knowledge of their skills, beyond Ray obviously being a water animal.

I'd like to note who avoided capture after Null's trap was sprung. Reptile master race

Hob is, most likely, going to hold it against Slash a bit that, you know, he convinced him to let that scientist go. Slash would point out that he thought the attack was a bad idea from the beginning. In hindsight they should have at least detained him. They're making rookie mistakes. Which....makes sense.

I'll give Hob credit for first seeming to think of Slash, though he does have the practical consideration of someone being around to fight another day. Slash, fundamentally, wants to be a hero, like Mikey. His voice in this story is interseting. He's smart enough, but has a certain 'we have to be the good guys!' approach that can appear childlike. Of course, Hob's anger can be rather childlike as well. He and Slash have just had different role models.

Really, the Mutanimals, in a sense, are children. They're new people, learning what that is, and trying to define it for themselves. You see that in the down time segments, Mutagen Man taking on his name, Herman wondering what to do when he's not a soldier (where on earth did he get those pajamas? The same place he got his combat pants I guess).

Which all points back to the central question: What is the mission of the Mutanimals. Hob's "Take over the world," plan is, in addition to being morally wrong, categorically insane. If Null remains a threat at the end of the series however, future stories could focus on their attempts to free other mutants, and undermine their plans, while forging an identity for themselves. If the series ends with Lindsey back with the Mutanimals and Jillian still with Null, we have a method for engineering new mutants, good and bad, with the implication that Lindsey is just better, despite Null having more resources.

Outsiders, fighting to save the world. It's been done several times, in X-men for instance, but I think the formula fits well in the TMNT universe.

Something I should clarify is that as a fan, I'm familiar with the original cartoon, first two movies, and much, if not all of the 2k3 series in addition to IDW. I've read some of the Mirage Comics, like, one Archie comics, and watched a few Nickelodeon cartoons. Everything else is me reading things like wikipedia articles. So I don't have the original Mutanimals comics to go by, and may not have the attachment some people do. So I don't know that nostalgia factors in as much as other people, so please understand if I don't really get some of the complaints that say "Where is Wingnut? Screwloose? Leatherhead? We already have enough characters, and we're close to violating the 'Rule of 7' and making the glut of characters hard to keep straight (quick! name all 7 dwarves!). As stands, the Mutanimals are:

1. Hob
2. Slash
3. Pete
4. Herman
5. Mondo
6. Mutagen Man
7. Sally
8. Ray

and also Lindsey. Plus Null as our main villain, maybe Jillian.

Obviously we don't know how this is going to look at the end of the mini-series but adding more beyond this when it's already part of the crowded TMNT universe is going to be a tough task to manage. I feel like we have a good mix of comic and seriious characters, and mutants with specific abilities that can play into various stories.

Last edited by Mutant Ninja Anole; 03-25-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #67
neatoman
Emperor

Sally? Okay, I hope she has a more imaginative name...

Also, if the Null mutants are hybrids, then both Ray and Sally would be hybrids right? Of what then? Manta/bear and lion/monkey?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #68
corvus
Stone Warrior

Anole, you're saying that

Spoiler:
Sally is a new character? I wouldn't know I didn't read any of the original mutanimals. But your description of her made me think, maybe she'll act as a reflection of hob that makes him see how ridiculous he's being....which is a plot device I don't like. Hob has every right to resort to violence in this case, especially after seeing what's been done to mutagen man. Slash has a tremendously selfish moral compass although that's not what the writers are trying to convey.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #69
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post

Spoiler:
Sally is a new character? I wouldn't know I didn't read any of the original mutanimals. But your description of her made me think, maybe she'll act as a reflection of hob that makes him see how ridiculous he's being....which is a plot device I don't like. Hob has every right to resort to violence in this case, especially after seeing what's been done to mutagen man. Slash has a tremendously selfish moral compass although that's not what the writers are trying to convey.
It seems like Sally is indeed a new character. Before we were guessing that she would turn out to be either Dreadmon or Jagwar when we saw her silhouette, but given the clear lion motif she's probably not either.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #70
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

Also, if the Null mutants are hybrids, then both Ray and Sally would be hybrids right? Of what then? Manta/bear and lion/monkey?
The scientist indicated they haven't had much success yet, they and mutagen man are the first ones to survive. They may be simple prototypes, getting one animal mutants down before moving on to more complex ones. Ray does seem fit for a deep sea work, which he mentioned, not sure about Sally unless she's a combat model.

Quote:

Spoiler:
I can't find any Sally on Turtlepedia, unless someone else knows something.

Hob has an understandable rage based on his experience, but beyond debates about whether his 'war' and methods are justified his game plan in completely reckless. Slash may come accross as a bit naive but his need to keep them from becoming unrelenting monsters is not selfish in my opinion. It may also be prudent in the long term. They can't 'beat' humanity but they may prove their own humanity in opposing Null.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #71
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAllor View Post
It's too bad this is only a five-page preview, since page six is legitimately one of my favorite pages that I've ever written. Something to look out for when the issue drops next week.
I was laughing so hard this morning I scared my cats, thanks for that Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
I was going to just edit my original post, but ended up rewriting it so much I just figured I'd delete my original message and post a fresh one: Long haphazard thoughts below:

Spoiler:

The series continues to mix a lot of fun with a good mix of action. They're really trying to build these mutants as real characters here, with a mix of personalities, and I'm glad for it.

I am always drawn to new mutants so I'll jump into that. We now have Sally the Cat (If I'm not mistaken? Can't think of what other animal she might be.) Is she an original creation? A reference to Sally from Busytown? She and Ray Fillet are our last two mutants. Surplus of felines, now we know Hob is getting booted at the end for sure Actually...now that I think about it, in the page and a half we see of her, she's impatient (seems she and Ray have been waiting for a chance to strike for awhile), eager for a battle, while also thinking strategically that they should team up with whoever is fighting Null, and when she sees that they have captured more mutants, she impulsively tries to break out of her cage, hopelessly. So she's impulsive, loyal to mutants...and a cat? Wow, she really is a mirror of Hob. One would think they would get along. Romantic interest? Ally if the group starts to turn on them? Ray doesn't get much other than the implication that he and Sally have been companions for awhile, and he's the more prudent one. Also, he uses words like "conflagration." Here's hoping they mesh with the group well, both as companions and a fighting force. Although I don't know that we have any knowledge of their skills, beyond Ray obviously being a water animal.

I'd like to note who avoided capture after Null's trap was sprung. Reptile master race

Hob is, most likely, going to hold it against Slash a bit that, you know, he convinced him to let that scientist go. Slash would point out that he thought the attack was a bad idea from the beginning. In hindsight they should have at least detained him. They're making rookie mistakes. Which....makes sense.

I'll give Hob credit for first seeming to think of Slash, though he does have the practical consideration of someone being around to fight another day. Slash, fundamentally, wants to be a hero, like Mikey. His voice in this story is interseting. He's smart enough, but has a certain 'we have to be the good guys!' approach that can appear childlike. Of course, Hob's anger can be rather childlike as well. He and Slash have just had different role models.

Really, the Mutanimals, in a sense, are children. They're new people, learning what that is, and trying to define it for themselves. You see that in the down time segments, Mutagen Man taking on his name, Herman wondering what to do when he's not a soldier (where on earth did he get those pajamas? The same place he got his combat pants I guess).

Which all points back to the central question: What is the mission of the Mutanimals. Hob's "Take over the world," plan is, in addition to being morally wrong, categorically insane. If Null remains a threat at the end of the series however, future stories could focus on their attempts to free other mutants, and undermine their plans, while forging an identity for themselves. If the series ends with Lindsey back with the Mutanimals and Jillian still with Null, we have a method for engineering new mutants, good and bad, with the implication that Lindsey is just better, despite Null having more resources.

Outsiders, fighting to save the world. It's been done several times, in X-men for instance, but I think the formula fits well in the TMNT universe.

Something I should clarify is that as a fan, I'm familiar with the original cartoon, first two movies, and much, if not all of the 2k3 series in addition to IDW. I've read some of the Mirage Comics, like, one Archie comics, and watched a few Nickelodeon cartoons. Everything else is me reading things like wikipedia articles. So I don't have the original Mutanimals comics to go by, and may not have the attachment some people do. So I don't know that nostalgia factors in as much as other people, so please understand if I don't really get some of the complaints that say "Where is Wingnut? Screwloose? Leatherhead? We already have enough characters, and we're close to violating the 'Rule of 7' and making the glut of characters hard to keep straight (quick! name all 7 dwarves!). As stands, the Mutanimals are:

1. Hob
2. Slash
3. Pete
4. Herman
5. Mondo
6. Mutagen Man
7. Sally
8. Ray

and also Lindsey. Plus Null as our main villain, maybe Jillian.

Obviously we don't know how this is going to look at the end of the mini-series but adding more beyond this when it's already part of the crowded TMNT universe is going to be a tough task to manage. I feel like we have a good mix of comic and seriious characters, and mutants with specific abilities that can play into various stories.
I thought Hob told Slash to make sure the scientist was tied up securely before they left? In any case though, they still did make some kind of careless mistake so the effect is the same

Quote:

Spoiler:
could you elaborate on your view on Slash being morally selfish? I'm intrigued
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #72
Allio
Foot Elite

anyone got a picture of this new mutant? I'm months away before I can read Mutanimals
Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #73
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I was laughing so hard this morning I scared my cats, thanks for that Paul

I thought Hob told Slash to make sure the scientist was tied up securely before they left? In any case though, they still did make some kind of careless mistake so the effect is the same
He did, I guess in hindsight if you aren't going to shoot him you would need to hold him hostage until after your plan. I...guess dropping him off at the police isn't an option.

Honestly the odds are stacked against the Mutanimals and if there's any justification for acting brutal, it could be that their situation is desperate. But also goes back to what they are ultimately trying to accomplish.

Last edited by Mutant Ninja Anole; 03-25-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

Who is Sally? Can anyone post a small screencap of the new character?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #75
PaulAllor
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

Ha, yeah. Her name is Sally Pride.
PaulAllor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #76
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Sally Pride? What kind of Mutant Cat is she? I hope shes not another regular type feline, But maybe a big cat type?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #77
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I'm assuming Pride=Lion.

We only got a brief look. But her being a lion does differentiate her from a stray like Hob. Not sure how that could play out in personality. I'm actually interested in seeing other artists draw her. Nothing against Khun, but I loved Santolouco's design for Hob (Campbell's take interests me too).
Old 03-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #78
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
I'm assuming Pride=Lion.

We only got a brief look. But her being a lion does differentiate her from a stray like Hob. Not sure how that could play out in personality. I'm actually interested in seeing other artists draw her. Nothing against Khun, but I loved Santolouco's design for Hob (Campbell's take interests me too).
If she is a lioness mutant, I'm very intrigued. Though there was a Lion mutant name King Lionheart, But he was only a TMNT figure, And never appeared in the comics or series.

Either way, I hope she's cute, Kind of like how Alopex is cute.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Is she supposed to be a reference to Kitty Pride from X-men?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #80
PaulAllor
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Is she supposed to be a reference to Kitty Pride from X-men?
Nah, it's a reference to Sally Ride.
PaulAllor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idw, mutanimals, null