The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #1081
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Well, That's what people want, a live action version of the 80s cartoon, And I'm ok with that.
Of course you are.

I can't speak for every fan, but I'm pretty sure not all people want to see a live action movie based solely on the OT like you do. Heck, I'd for one settle for a movie that emphasizes less on "Cowabunga" and more on their Frank Miller-comic based roots. What this franchise needs is it's own "Batman Begins"/"Daredevil" type of movie.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 05-28-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #1082
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Well, That's what people want, a live action version of the 80s cartoon, And I'm ok with that.
What people?

The general audience?

You mean the same people who turned out in droves to see The Dark Knight? The polar opposite to everything that is the Adam West Batman tv show that most people remember about Batman? Same people that made that a billion dollar franchise?

The general audience doesn't care either way. They don't. They'd see ultra light OT Turtles, or they'd see darker, more serious Turtles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #1083
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
I don't want that at all
Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #1084
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

There are people who only grew up with the 80s version of TMNT, Bebop and Rocksteady were a product of the 80s cartoon.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #1085
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
It's like they didn't have a sense of balance and that seems to have gotten worse. Here we have a realistic and menacing looking (at least compared to the last movie) Shredder and the Foot intermingling with Bebop and Rocksteady which look like they've stepped right out of the Fred Wolf show. I think even the biggest Fred Wolf fan would concede there's elements that don't lend themselves well to a semi-serious live action movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yeah, Bebop & Rocksteady look way over the top here. Not great. I mean, if they were going for the absurd angle, they're perfect, but this sh*t's supposed to be "grounded in reality" & they've done nothing but contradict their own agenda from the start.
Word. Like I said before - complete cognitive dissonance. Go goofy or go serious - we've got cornball Bebop and Rocksteady mixed with S&M GI Joe Shredder and Dominatrix Karai.

Looks like they're also sticking with the Shreddertron-esque arm gauntlets with blades that pop in and out at convenient times.

Btw, anybody want to place any bets on whether there's going to be tone-deaf borderline racism in this one? I mean, we've already seen inklings with some shots of the Halloween extras: people of color all in nice, stereotyped little hula and African chief outfits. (Because why dress up as something scary or spooky for Halloween when you can just throw on a costume that neatly reduces your race and cultural heritage to a caricature?)

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
Old 05-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #1086
Powder
So tired of this place

To be fair, the casting call said to bring your own costume. But I guess there's always the possibility some showed up without any & got crappy spares.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #1087
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Word. Like I said before - complete cognitive dissonance. Go goofy or go serious - we've got cornball Bebop and Rocksteady mixed with S&M GI Joe Shredder and Dominatrix Karai.

Looks like they're also sticking with the Shreddertron-esque arm gauntlets with blades that pop in and out at convenient times.

Btw, anybody want to place any bets on whether there's going to be tone-deaf borderline racism in this one? I mean, we've already seen inklings with some shots of the Halloween extras: people of color all in nice, stereotyped little hula and African chief outfits. (Because why dress up as something scary or spooky for Halloween when you can just throw on a costume that neatly reduces your race and cultural heritage to a caricature?)
I fully expect Bebop(human and otherwise) to be just this side of a minstrel show.

Quote:
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #1088
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
But I don't care. Nostalgia takes a back seat to a good/better movie.

For me, at least.
Which would be great TRICK, but until this franchise gets handed over to a REAL fan, eg. Whedon/Avengers, Abrams/Star Wars...its not gonna happen. The studios will bank on the old school Turtles/nostalgia factor until...well...always.

Just look at the response on Twitter, Instagram, etc. Its been super positive, and i know you chalk it up to us idiots wholl swallow whatever they churn out, but we ALL have fond memories of the OT, to which you admitted yourself, so why wouldnt a studio bank on that. Theyd be foolish not to.

does it always make for great story telling? No. But clearly they are takin steps to correct/try to erase their mistakes, minus scrapping this altogether, which ISNT happening, chanign course is the best thing for it.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #1089
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
Which would be great TRICK, but until this franchise gets handed over to a REAL fan, eg. Whedon/Avengers, Abrams/Star Wars...its not gonna happen. The studios will bank on the old school Turtles/nostalgia factor until...well...always.

Just look at the response on Twitter, Instagram, etc. Its been super positive, and i know you chalk it up to us idiots wholl swallow whatever they churn out, but we ALL have fond memories of the OT, to which you admitted yourself, so why wouldnt a studio bank on that. Theyd be foolish not to.

does it always make for great story telling? No. But clearly they are takin steps to correct/try to erase their mistakes, minus scrapping this altogether, which ISNT happening, chanign course is the best thing for it.
Making cosmetic changes to the mistakes they made in the first one will not in any way make up for the inevitable **** the writing will be.

Same writers are back. And they're cramming in even more characters to screw up.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #1090
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
There are people who only grew up with the 80s version of TMNT, Bebop and Rocksteady were a product of the 80s cartoon.
those same people, dont care...they couldnt properly name match the 4 turtles if you asked them...they may remember tid bits but aside from certain looking characters they wouldnt be able to tell you "krang is from deminsion x" and they dont care

thats why Bumblebee is a camaro

i had a friend once ask me what the brains name was...i had another friend who is a mom to a kid who watches TMNT ask me who shredder was

do you know how many people returned the comic book toys in my time at TOYS R US because " we bought leo and this is raph we want the blue one"

iver heard people identify them by their colors only

go outside and survey people..you may get lucky but they wont know turtle one from turtle two

forget asking them who casey jones is

just because they grew up on it doesnt mean they care or will remember every detail

but why settle for this when we could have so much better at the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, why funds this and not voice or stand up for something better

never mind dont answer, i already know the anser "because its turtles"

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #1091
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
those same people, dont care...they couldnt properly name match the 4 turtles if you asked them...they may remember tid bits but aside from certain looking characters they wouldnt be able to tell you "krang is from deminsion x" and they dont care

thats why Bumblebee is a camaro

i had a friend once ask me what the brains name was...i had another friend who is a mom to a kid who watches TMNT ask me who shredder was

do you know how many people returned the comic book toys in my time at TOYS R US because " we bought leo and this is raph we want the blue one"

iver heard people identify them by their colors only

go outside and survey people..you may get lucky but they wont know turtle one from turtle two

forget asking them who casey jones is

just because they grew up on it doesnt mean they care or will remember every detail

but why settle for this when we could have so much better at the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, why funds this and not voice or stand up for something better

never mind dont answer, i already know the anser "because its turtles"
Well, there are those that still remember to this day about the 80s TMNT, People in there 30s or 40s, But anything below that, they won't remember anything.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #1092
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Well, there are those that still remember to this day about the 80s TMNT, People in there 30s or 40s, But anything below that, they won't remember anything.
thats not true man, how old do you think i am talking about these friends..plus you are dismissing the main thing..they may remember the show happening but they wont remember the details

you could tell them Leo killed shredder in ep two and they will go "yea i remember that"

Lets look at another franchise thats getting movie treatment soon

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

aside from a handful of fans how many people of the GA do you think remember the main details of the show? not many if any, and they dont care..most dont even know PR is still on...

"Fans" in the GA cant and dont care about remembering who slash or krang or irma is because its nostalgia.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #1093
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
Making cosmetic changes to the mistakes they made in the first one will not in any way make up for the inevitable **** the writing will be.

Same writers are back. And they're cramming in even more characters to screw up.
Im not arguing this point, i CANNOT stand the writers. Hearing them answer interview questions makes it evident to me, they did just enough research to look like they did actual research, when in fact they just wrote the story they wanted. Believe me, we are not different on this point bc the removal of Hamato Yoshi is my biggest gripe on the first one.

And yes, comestic changes alone will not guarantee a good or even decent film, but its a start.

and i know what you and most others might say, dont applaud them for doing something they should have done in the first place...they messed up, but are trying to correct things. We dont know what direction the writing will go but the aesthetics are certainly a good groundwork.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #1094
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
those same people, dont care...they couldnt properly name match the 4 turtles if you asked them...

I guess these new films are for those people who continually think that one of the Turtles just happens to be named Ralph.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #1095
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
I guess these new films are for those people who continually think that one of the Turtles just happens to be named Ralph.
and Mickey

Old 05-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #1096
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
To be fair, the casting call said to bring your own costume. But I guess there's always the possibility some showed up without any & got crappy spares.
Good point - there could be a story behind the costume choices that we don't know about.

Nonetheless, I remain distinctly uneasy - there are some things that you can't transition from the OT to live-action without looking really bad. You can have B&R being utter dimwits who can barely read or tie their shoes in the cartoon, but do the same thing in live-action and it's going to be very cringeworthy and uncomfortable to watch.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #1097
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

I'd be a lot more receptive of a "based on the OT" movie if they actually went whole hog on it. Bright colors, jokes, April in a jumpsuit, all that. But instead we get this stupid hybrid of nostalgia-bait and some misguided attempt at being edgy, cool, and "not your daddy's TMNT" that completely misses it's mark.

Want to make a goofy OT movie? Go for it. Want to make something with a real edge to it? Do some direct Mirage, or at least IDW. They choose to take the least important elements of both and make something painfully mediocre instead.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Old 05-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #1098
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
I'd be a lot more receptive of a "based on the OT" movie if they actually went whole hog on it. Bright colors, jokes, April in a jumpsuit, all that. But instead we get this stupid hybrid of nostalgia-bait and some misguided attempt at being edgy, cool, and "not your daddy's TMNT" that completely misses it's mark.

Want to make a goofy OT movie? Go for it. Want to make something with a real edge to it? Do some direct Mirage, or at least IDW. They choose to take the least important elements of both and make something painfully mediocre instead.
Yep.

Nothing more evident of this than Michael Bay, over steak and martinis, saying they need to lighten it up more and add more jokes.

They don't know what they're doing at all.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #1099
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Take this with a grain of salt, But according to a wiki article. George Takei is voicing Splinter, But I find it hard to believe because, Anyone can write and edit a Wiki page.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teena...ure_performers

Personally I think George Takei would make a great Splinter, But The fact its a Wikipedia, I have doubts about that being true.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #1100
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Take this with a grain of salt, But according to a wiki article. George Takei is voicing Splinter, But I find it hard to believe because, Anyone can write and edit a Wiki page.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teena...ure_performers

Personally I think George Takei would make a great Splinter, But The fact its a Wikipedia, I have doubts about that being true.
i love to see them bring in the voice actor for the NICK series. the does the whole loving father, but fierce warrior thing EXTREMELY well.
Closed Thread

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, tigerclaw is cybercubed, tmnt2