Old 11-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #121
TMNT Kirby
Mouser

Love the different spin and look of this new Ratking
TMNT Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #122
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i was curious why this particular thread had a sticky?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #123
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i was curious why this particular thread had a sticky?
Because NEVER FORGET.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #124
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Because NEVER FORGET.
but we all might be better off if we did?
Old 01-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #125
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
but we all might be better off if we did?
I would love to simply shove this mini series under the rug and forget about it, but I think this is going to be the big example of what can go wrong when we get the wrong people to handle these characters.

What we got was something that "wasn't meant for us" but yet clearly occupied the same space as a series that it is almost entirely disjointed from. It's a low point in the IDW TMNT series and it's made me more cautious toward what we might see in the future from outside writers who have no experience writing anything that even closely resembles TMNT.

I'm sure I sound irrational here in my detest for these 4 books that simply weren't be exciting, I'm aware. But as I've said before IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is my absolute favorite comic book. Not only is it the only comic I purchase every month but I always buy 3 copies of it. I know IDW doesn't owe me anything and it's my choice to be so very invested in their product or not but I just don't understand why if they would be seeking a wider audience for TMNT that they wouldn't also consider alienating people like me who consistently support the book.

TL;DR Love IDW TMNT? Skip Casey & April
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #126
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
I would love to simply shove this mini series under the rug and forget about it, but I think this is going to be the big example of what can go wrong when we get the wrong people to handle these characters.

What we got was something that "wasn't meant for us" but yet clearly occupied the same space as a series that it is almost entirely disjointed from. It's a low point in the IDW TMNT series and it's made me more cautious toward what we might see in the future from outside writers who have no experience writing anything that even closely resembles TMNT.

I'm sure I sound irrational here in my detest for these 4 books that simply weren't be exciting, I'm aware. But as I've said before IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is my absolute favorite comic book. Not only is it the only comic I purchase every month but I always buy 3 copies of it. I know IDW doesn't owe me anything and it's my choice to be so very invested in their product or not but I just don't understand why if they would be seeking a wider audience for TMNT that they wouldn't also consider alienating people like me who consistently support the book.

I will buy you as much beer and cookies as you want should we ever meet in RL. You, sir, are of impeccable taste. And common sense.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #127
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:

i wouldn't say you sound irrational at all!
you sound very passionate!

and i too hold the IDW TMNT series in the highest regards of any comic series i read on a monthly basis.

and i really hope IDW is more careful with who they let handle their writing in the future.

TBH, i really was on the edge of my seat expecting something dramatic would happen in the series...

but it ended with absolutely nothing.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #128
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

It's funny how damn polarizing this is for me.

It's not my favorite mini, but I really liked Casey & April. And IDW TMNT is also my favorite comic. I just really like all of it.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #129
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangolinFeets View Post
It's funny how damn polarizing this is for me.

It's not my favorite mini, but I really liked Casey & April. And IDW TMNT is also my favorite comic. I just really like all of it.
hey, don't feel bad.

i was really enjoying it in the beginning of the mini-series until it ended and realized nothing really happened.

it did have promise, i just think the writer got lazy or just had NO idea what to do next?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #130
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I stopped at my LCS to pick up Vengeance Part II, and when I asked out of curiosity if they had Casey & April in stock (which I hadn't even seen on the shelf), the guy looked it up in the system and said he couldn't even find a listing for it.

My LCS has good taste.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #131
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I just ordered the trade and it came in last week. I read it, and while it wasn't "exciting", I was intrigued by the larger story going on between Rat King and Aka. And the stuff about the scroll, and what's in the book April and Casey were searching for. It read as more of a mystery serial. I actually kind of liked that. Much of the plot was more subtle and less about action than about solving a puzzle.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #132
CyberCubed
Overlord

I also ordered the April/Casey trade online from amazon, I wonder if my opinion on it will be different when you can read all 4 issues back to back.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #133
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I also ordered the April/Casey trade online from amazon, I wonder if my opinion on it will be different when you can read all 4 issues back to back.
I think the book might be exciting and better paced if you do the mad fold in on every page. It'll save you a lot of blank or bloated panels.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #134
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I think the book might be exciting and better paced if you do the mad fold in on every page. It'll save you a lot of blank or bloated panels.
Yeah, it felt like this was a 2 issue story stretched out to 4 issues just to meet a quota.

If this was only a 2 parter I think it would have been much, much better.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #135
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, it felt like this was a 2 issue story stretched out to 4 issues just to meet a quota.

If this was only a 2 parter I think it would have been much, much better.
Yeah I think the biggest flaw is that nothing happened for much of it. Even the smallest bits that were exciting ended up being dulled by how few and far between they were.

Casey fighting the guys in the diner and seeing the dragon premonition was some nice bits but but I couldn't handle Casey spilling juice in issue 2 and Rat King's cook out...
Old 01-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #136
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yeah I think the biggest flaw is that nothing happened for much of it. Even the smallest bits that were exciting ended up being dulled by how few and far between they were.

Casey fighting the guys in the diner and seeing the dragon premonition was some nice bits but but I couldn't handle Casey spilling juice in issue 2 and Rat King's cook out...
Don't you go hating on Rat King's BBQ.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #137
myconius
Abby Normal

i was reading the issues one a month as they were released.
while i was intrigued really hoping for a Rat-Minotaur or something to be chasing Casey & April through the Labyrinth, their escape seemed pretty easy and quite frankly ..... Obstruse!!!

i wrote of this Mini figuring it'll make more sense down the line.
and i'll keep the issues so i can re-read them once we see more later on from the Rat King.

he's always been one of my favorite supporting characters from 'Tales of' Vol.1 and 'City at War'.
hopefully his presence in the IDW Turtles will be equally as cool?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #138
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Don't you go hating on Rat King's BBQ.
Trust me, Rat King's BBQ will probably be the thing that stays with me the longest from this whole mess.

Tags
comic discussion