The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

No love for phantasy star 1987

So I pick up the newest Sega classics package for the ps4, and Phantasy 2 3 and 4 are there, and once again the first game is left out. I was glad the ps3 version had it as a unlock game, but this is getting old. I loved the first game, and it kinda of upsets me to see most of these Sega hits only for Phantasy Star to be not including.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
sdp
-

Well it's a Genesis collection and its a Master System game..of course its no excuse since I know they sometimes include Master System games and arcade versions of games.

I have Phantasy Star Collection on the GBA and it includes 1-3 but not 4.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well it's a Genesis collection and its a Master System game..of course its no excuse since I know they sometimes include Master System games and arcade versions of games.

I have Phantasy Star Collection on the GBA and it includes 1-3 but not 4.

See the first game may be my all time favorite in the series, but I be highly upset if there was a Phantasy Star Collection that was missing one of the games lol.

Yeah the collection does go from Master system to arcade in there collections. But the first game should of been including. I don't care if I had to go into Phantasy Star 2 in and out 50 times(Sonic collection for the ps2 joke) to unlock the game.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Never heard of the series when I was younger until I got the Collection on the gba.

Only played about halfway through the first game back in 2003 until I got stuck. Didn’t know where to go next. Despite that, I thought it was good for its time.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Never played Phantasy Star. I first heard of the series when the Dreamcast came out. Phatasy Star Online was kind of a big deal for a while. I've even heard people still played it online years after the DC died. Is that true?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Never played Phantasy Star. I first heard of the series when the Dreamcast came out. Phatasy Star Online was kind of a big deal for a while. I've even heard people still played it online years after the DC died. Is that true?
I always wanted to play PSO but didn't have a Dreamcast and when it launched on the Gamecube the online adapter's fate of it never being used in other games had been cemented so I skipped it.

Yes, people play PSO still to this day in private servers, I haven't kept up but I know there is like a PSO sequel that's new, but I don't see people talk about that one and instead they talk about the original. I'd love to finally play PSO but it seems like my best bet is playing the original in the private servers
Old 06-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've always been curious about Phantasy Star, but I don't know much about it. Can someone explain it to me?

From what I gather, story-wise...

* Phantasy Star I, II, and IV follow one story on one planet. Like 1,000 years between games.

* Phantasy Star III tells a story completely unconnected to any planet or anything in I, II, and IV.

* Every other Phantasy Star game ever, including the online games, have nothing to do with any other Phantasy Star game's story... except the ones for Sega Game Gear that nobody's played. I guess those Game Gear ones tie into the story in I, II, and IV.

Does that sound about right?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I always wanted to play PSO but didn't have a Dreamcast and when it launched on the Gamecube the online adapter's fate of it never being used in other games had been cemented so I skipped it.

Yes, people play PSO still to this day in private servers, I haven't kept up but I know there is like a PSO sequel that's new, but I don't see people talk about that one and instead they talk about the original. I'd love to finally play PSO but it seems like my best bet is playing the original in the private servers
The Dreamcast is that console that could have been a success story if only Sega hadn't messed up a lot in the mid-late 90s with the later years of the Mega Drive(Mega CD and 32x lol) and the Sega Saturn. The DC has a lot of classic games I haven't been able to play to this day. I've personally always wanted to play Crazy Taxi, for some reason. But I'm not sure if it would hold up well today. Sonic Adventure seemed like a very cool game back in the day as well, but heard it's aged poorly and is full of bugs. But some people to this day still love the game, so who knows.

It's kinda funny how Sega was the strongest and most popular video game company in Europe up until the PS1 and nowadays it's just another company among many others. I suppose Sonic still sells a lot, though, even despite all the not so well received games it has had this century. And Football manager(huge game here in Europe) is by Sega and Sports Interactive, so I guess they do have a way to survive.

We live in decade that is a sucker for 80s and 90s nostalgia. Sega seems to have finally realised this and have made some of their classic games available for mobile for free(with ads). They also have released a couple of Mega Drive clones/mini consoles as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've always been curious about Phantasy Star, but I don't know much about it. Can someone explain it to me?

From what I gather, story-wise...

* Phantasy Star I, II, and IV follow one story on one planet. Like 1,000 years between games.

* Phantasy Star III tells a story completely unconnected to any planet or anything in I, II, and IV.

* Every other Phantasy Star game ever, including the online games, have nothing to do with any other Phantasy Star game's story... except the ones for Sega Game Gear that nobody's played. I guess those Game Gear ones tie into the story in I, II, and IV.

Does that sound about right?
I’ve only played halfway through the first game and all of IV, so I’m not that familiar with the series either, but I think you’re mostly right, except I, II and IV follow seperate yet connected stories on a few planets with different characters. Never heard of the Game Gear games until now.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
sdp
-

I can't remember the continuity well either since this was around the time the GBA trilogy came out that I was interested in the series, but I remember one of the first 4 games while in continuity told a different story while the others were more connected, i think it might've been 3. The game gear games were "gaiden" tales but I remember they fit in continuity without many problems.

PSO is not in continuity with the old series but it made its own canon with with Episodes I, II and III even if III is a card game. I don't really know since I didn't play these games. I assume PSO 2 is also in continuity but not sure.

Then you have PS Portable, PS Universe and PS Zero, I think Zero is in continuity with Online and Portable with Universe or something along those lines.