The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,072
What's your favourite relationship between the Turtles themselves?

They're all close to each other since they're brothers, but the dynamic between each of them is different and the relationship between the same two Turtles can be very different in two different versions. For example, in the Fred Wolf series there's no tension whatsoever between Raphael and Leonardo. Completely different from other versions. You only see it briefly in the season 8 episode Turtle Trek.

Personally, I've always felt the relationship between Raphael and Michelangelo was the most interesting one, at least in most of the TMNT material I've seen/read. In Mirage they're best friends, in the FW series there's back and forth banter between both of them and in the 2k3 series they have a fighting siblings type of relationship. I just think that both Raph and Mikey usually end up having the best chemistry and the most memorable moments together. But that's just my impression.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 10,928
Kind of a toss up between Leo and Donnie being most like each other and kind of being each other's right hand guy and understand each other more, and the head butting, competitive dynamic between Leo and Raph that keeps each other on their toes. Those two getting pissy and smug at each other but pulling together and patching it up later just seems like a good old authentic competitive sibling relationship.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 8,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
They're all close to each other since they're brothers, but the dynamic between each of them is different and the relationship between the same two Turtles can be very different in two different versions. For example, in the Fred Wolf series there's no tension whatsoever between Raphael and Leonardo. Completely different from other versions. You only see it briefly in the season 8 episode Turtle Trek.

Personally, I've always felt the relationship between Raphael and Michelangelo was the most interesting one, at least in most of the TMNT material I've seen/read. In Mirage they're best friends, in the FW series there's back and forth banter between both of them and in the 2k3 series they have a fighting siblings type of relationship. I just think that both Raph and Mikey usually end up having the best chemistry and the most memorable moments together. But that's just my impression.

What about you?
It's like you are in my brain...

FW had the best dynamic. If only Rob had a bit more anger behind his sarcastic wit.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It's like you are in my brain...

FW had the best dynamic.
I's not only the turtles, even Channel 6 and the Technodrome have great dynamics.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 8,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I's not only the turtles, even Channel 6 and the Technodrome have great dynamics.
True on both accounts.

I wish Burne got a more Jameson-lite role and could have served a role during the Dregg run at the end too leading the human endorsement because of the twice destruction of Channel Six News. That is a topic for another thread though. FW characters with wider potential.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
They're all close to each other since they're brothers, but the dynamic between each of them is different and the relationship between the same two Turtles can be very different in two different versions. For example, in the Fred Wolf series there's no tension whatsoever between Raphael and Leonardo. Completely different from other versions. You only see it briefly in the season 8 episode Turtle Trek.

Personally, I've always felt the relationship between Raphael and Michelangelo was the most interesting one, at least in most of the TMNT material I've seen/read. In Mirage they're best friends, in the FW series there's back and forth banter between both of them and in the 2k3 series they have a fighting siblings type of relationship. I just think that both Raph and Mikey usually end up having the best chemistry and the most memorable moments together. But that's just my impression.

What about you?
You forgot the Big Brother and his Little Buddy relationship they had in the 2012. Raph could be a bully at times, but he deeply cares about all his brothers. But he cares for Mikey in particular.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
You forgot the Big Brother and his Little Buddy relationship they had in the 2012. Raph could be a bully at times, but he deeply cares about all his brothers. But he cares for Mikey in particular.
I've only watched like 3 episodes of the Nick show, so I have no idea what happened there.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
The Great Saiyaman
Foot Soldier
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I've only watched like 3 episodes of the Nick show, so I have no idea what happened there.
Well, I really encourage you to check the show out, it's worth it. It's also the most similar to the Frank Wolf cartoon series of any of the series in the franchise.

If there's one episode I urge you to watch to see all of the Turtles interactions with each other in action it should be "Slash and destroy" which is a season two episode. Here it is.


Just watch it, it shows the group dynamic between the four brothers and their Sensei so clearly.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #9
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant
 
The-Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 321
We rarely see Leo and Mikey and Don and Raph paired up. I don't think the dynamic is really there in those scenarios. Leo is more disciplined than Mikey, but Don and Raph are more easygoing. Don tends to think things through more than Raph does, but Leo and Mikey seem more eager to battle.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Well, I really encourage you to check the show out, it's worth it. It's also the most similar to the Frank Wolf cartoon series of any of the series in the franchise.

If there's one episode I urge you to watch to see all of the Turtles interactions with each other in action it should be "Slash and destroy" which is a season two episode. Here it is.


Just watch it, it shows the group dynamic between the four brothers and their Sensei so clearly.
Thanks but I'm not very interested. I kinda fell out of the Turtles in the last few years and the Bay films traumatised me and made me lose hope for the property.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #11
The Great Saiyaman
Foot Soldier
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thanks but I'm not very interested. I kinda fell out of the Turtles in the last few years and the Bay films traumatised me and made me lose hope for the property.
I can understand that but the 2012 series is everything the Bay movies are NOT. They have NOTHING in common.

The episode I put in there shows the interactions as brothers between the turtles.

For example:

Raph complains about Mikey not respecting his private property and swats him with a magazine as punishment but later in the episode is seen as the big brother who stands by his side no matter what. Look at those pleading eyes of Mikey's when he's worried about Donatello had gone missing and Raph's assuring, "Don't worry, we'll find him." reply.

Or after Donatello's mishap almost blew the lair up, as Raph complains to Splinter about Donnie needing to be held accountable for his actions, we see Donnie's facial expression get so guilty, he feels so bad about it. But later in the episode when Raph and Mikey find him badly wounded by Slash, Raph goes out of his way to tend to Donnie's broken arm, making a satchel and tying it off.

You asked us to name our favorite interactions between the brothers in the series, the 2012 series depicts them as both being Teenagers (Peer pressure, Teen confusion of "What is MY place in this world?" and giving each other a hard time) AND as brothers ("Sorry Slash but my brothers come first, ALWAYS!")
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant
 
The-Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thanks but I'm not very interested. I kinda fell out of the Turtles in the last few years and the Bay films traumatised me and made me lose hope for the property.
As a fan of the more serious, Mirage influenced TMNT (90s movies, 2003 cartoon), it starts to get more enjoyable in Season 3 when they first meet Renet. That's at the tail end of the season though, which is pretty sad. The first half of Season 4 is outer space episodes, but it's a lot better compared to the horror movie influenced North Hampton episodes in the first half of Season 3, which I remember being a pain to get through. Season 5 is my favorite and the most mature. Renet comes back for a multiparter and there is a multiparter with Usagi too. There are a lot of problems with the 2012 cartoon, but you should at least watch the later episodes before writing off the show completely.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 8,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
We rarely see Leo and Mikey and Don and Raph paired up. I don't think the dynamic is really there in those scenarios. Leo is more disciplined than Mikey, but Don and Raph are more easygoing. Don tends to think things through more than Raph does, but Leo and Mikey seem more eager to battle.
In the 1987 cartoon we see Leo and Mike as the captured half and Raph and Don as the half to the rescue. There is two instances in the 2003 cartoon series which has Mike ask Leo to train him for the Battle Nexus championship rematch. The other is the encounter with Nobody and Touch and Go when they are going out for training excercise.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #14
The Great Saiyaman
Foot Soldier
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
As a fan of the more serious, Mirage influenced TMNT (90s movies, 2003 cartoon), it starts to get more enjoyable in Season 3 when they first meet Renet. That's at the tail end of the season though, which is pretty sad. The first half of Season 4 is outer space episodes, but it's a lot better compared to the horror movie influenced North Hampton episodes in the first half of Season 3, which I remember being a pain to get through. Season 5 is my favorite and the most mature. Renet comes back for a multiparter and there is a multiparter with Usagi too. There are a lot of problems with the 2012 cartoon, but you should at least watch the later episodes before writing off the show completely.
Don't forget the Season 2 finale in which The Foot and the Kraang succeed in defeating the Turtles, the way they re-created that scene of Leonardo being thrown through the window of April's house is straight out of the Mirage comics.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:15 AM   #15
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 13,852
Orsta belli jinga ho 7 76
__________________
LOOKING FOR Japanese TMNT video game manuals (specifically TMNT2/3 NES, all on Game Boy, TMNT4/RoS), or just scans

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #16
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
If only Rob had a bit more anger behind his sarcastic wit.
But that's what made Rob's interpretation of the character so unique. He wasn't the angry Turtle every other Raphael has been.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #17
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant
 
The-Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Don't forget the Season 2 finale in which The Foot and the Kraang succeed in defeating the Turtles, the way they re-created that scene of Leonardo being thrown through the window of April's house is straight out of the Mirage comics.
Yeah, I forgot about the finale! Gilbert Gottfried as Krang Sub-prime was perfect. I liked how it actually took place in the snow too. I mostly remember Season 2 as consisting of mutant of the week episodes, so it's sometimes hard to remember the more profound moments.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #18
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,131
I made a thread/poll years ago asking which Turtles duo you liked best and why. Nowadays my favorite combination is Michelangelo & Leonardo, I think their opposing personalities bring out the best in them. Mikey tries to act more responsible and patient with Leo, while Leo lightens up with Mikey.

In the Mirage comics, I loved Mike & Raph's dynamic. In Archie, Donatello & Raphael, especially because of the Future arc.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #19
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,859
Don & Raph in Archie are great, but on a whole I dunno that any particular combo across iterations really strikes me enough to be a favorite.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #20
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Or after Donatello's mishap almost blew the lair up, as Raph complains to Splinter about Donnie needing to be held accountable for his actions, we see Donnie's facial expression get so guilty, he feels so bad about it. But later in the episode when Raph and Mikey find him badly wounded by Slash, Raph goes out of his way to tend to Donnie's broken arm, making a satchel and tying it off.
You are somewhat correct there. Raph had gone to his room to grouse about his brothers. Mikey then shows up and tells Raph he needs to come help in the cleanup, but Raph is like "Hell, no!" But he doesn't say Donnie needs to be accountable for his accident, he says that Donnie should clean it up by himself.

The big difference between this time and the last time Donnie nearly blew up the lair possible reaction.

In "Metal Head" when Donnie makes his broken bo staff into a Rocket Launcher that proceeds to go off in the lair. That wasn't supposed to happen but that would have been something at the very least he would have known to be a possible occurrence. So in that regard, yes Donnie would have had to clean up the results of that situation by himself as part of his punishment.

In Slash and Destroy, Donnie was attempting to make Retromutagen and the chemical he experimenting with had a volatile reaction that he even admitted was unexpected. So, in all honesty, it was just an unfortunate accident. So that's why all the brothers had to assist with the cleanup.

I'm not saying Raph shouldn't have been upset since Spike was nearly killed as a result. Still, he does blow the whole event out of proportion and acts like Donnie deliberately tried to blow up the lair.

Leo even says as much when they finish the cleanup. Donnie says "I feel terrible, It's my fault Raph's mad." And Leo responds by saying
"It's not you, Donnie...well it's partially you. Raph just has to work on his insanely bad temper."
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.