The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Star Trek: Rangers (7 of 9)

Michael Chabon pitched it, apparently on his way out the door after showrunning the second half of season 1:

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2...wzU3eJIjWC2qbE

I certainly wouldn't mind it, particularly over more seasons of STD, their Section 31 show, or Pike show they want to do but nobody actually wants (ANOTHER Kurtzman-driven prequel?)... but if we get it, would it really be too much to ask for one "regular" Star Trek show about exploration?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
https://i.ibb.co/r6XFZ7V/227b19d3-2d...7-rt-final.jpg

Michael Chabon pitched it, apparently on his way out the door after showrunning the second half of season 1:

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2...wzU3eJIjWC2qbE

I certainly wouldn't mind it, particularly over more seasons of STD, their Section 31 show, or Pike show they want to do but nobody actually wants (ANOTHER Kurtzman-driven prequel?)... but if we get it, would it really be too much to ask for one "regular" Star Trek show about exploration?
Fvck yeah, I'm down. I'd name it Star Trek: Rangers, though.

Gimme Star Trek: Worf, too.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
but if we get it, would it really be too much to ask for one "regular" Star Trek show about exploration?
This is exactly why I watch The Orville.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Fvck yeah, I'm down. I'd name it Star Trek: Rangers, though.
Oh yeah! Fixed. Of course they'd name it that.

Quote:
Gimme Star Trek: Worf, too.
Right now that seems like the show with the best chance to actually be a Star Trek show.

1. It'd not be a prequel.

2. It'd take place on a Federation starship. Probably whatever is the current Enterprise.

3. It has the highest likelihood to be about actual exploration and diplomacy.

Call it "Star Trek: Frontier" or something, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
This is exactly why I watch The Orville.
I respect the Orville for what it does, though I can't get into it. Maybe one day I'll give it a more fair shake. For now, it's good but it seems mostly like an homage to me. A good homage, but still an homage. It just makes me want the "real thing" more/curse the post-Abrams Trek more.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Oh yeah! Fixed. Of course they'd name it that.

Right now that seems like the show with the best chance to actually be a Star Trek show.

1. It'd not be a prequel.

2. It'd take place on a Federation starship. Probably whatever is the current Enterprise.

3. It has the highest likelihood to be about actual exploration and diplomacy.

Call it "Star Trek: Frontier" or something, though.

I respect the Orville for what it does, though I can't get into it. Maybe one day I'll give it a more fair shake. For now, it's good but it seems mostly like an homage to me. A good homage, but still an homage. It just makes me want the "real thing" more/curse the post-Abrams Trek more.
I dunno... if they can just call a show Star Trek: Picard, I figure the simplest and most direct name serves Worf just as well.

The Orville has never really interested me. Telling Star Trek stories outside that universe just doesn't hook me. I want Klingons, Romulans, and Borg, not ... whatever the species are that Orville has.

It is cool that Kasidy Yates is a main character on that show, though.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I dunno... if they can just call a show Star Trek: Picard
Yeah, but you just know it was because none of those morons could come up with a better title. It's the same people that calls a show "Discovery" that only ever did the opposite of that, and started a war in its first episode.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

We need one, great primary Star Trek show instead of these made for TV "movies".

And agreed completely on the Orville. How a Star Trek TNG parody is so much better than the real thing is amazing.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yeah, but you just know it was because none of those morons could come up with a better title. It's the same people that calls a show "Discovery" that only ever did the opposite of that, and started a war in its first episode.
Star Trek: Legacy
Star Trek: Federation
Star Trek: The Next Next Generation
Star Trek: Logan

Right off the top of my head.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
We need one, great primary Star Trek show instead of these made for TV "movies".

And agreed completely on the Orville. How a Star Trek TNG parody is so much better than the real thing is amazing.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I miss not having it on Fox, because now I can't watch it. Orville was one of the best shows they've had in recent seasons, so to put it on streaming service only was a huge disappointment.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly. I miss not having it on Fox, because now I can't watch it. Orville was one of the best shows they've had in recent seasons, so to put it on streaming service only was a huge disappointment.
I actually wonder if they'll see a ratings decline because of this move. After that amazing space battle in season 2, I can't believe Fox wouldn't do anything to keep that IP in their stable. It had to be the best looking space battle to ever be on T.V. It was as good as the two minute First Contact space battle, but lasted much longer.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

This could be interesting. It and the Pike series (as much as I loathe Discovery Anson Mount as Pike was a bright spot) I'd like to see.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This could be interesting. It and the Pike series (as much as I loathe Discovery Anson Mount as Pike was a bright spot) I'd like to see.
If it was someone other than Kurtzman behind the curtain, with a Pike series I would go from "I don't want to see it at all and jesus christ, enough with the prequels" to "it's not what I want and not what Star Trek needs, but I'll give it a shot."
Old 03-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
If it was someone other than Kurtzman behind the curtain, with a Pike series I would go from "I don't want to see it at all and jesus christ, enough with the prequels" to "it's not what I want and not what Star Trek needs, but I'll give it a shot."
I hated Pike in the first episode, but he quickly grew on me. And I'd love to see Ethan Peck play a Spock not hobbled by always interacting with Burnham.

RR's take on Number One, surprisingly, bored me to tears. Was really hoping for more from her.

Star Trek: Pike is another needless prequel I don't care about, but I suppose I'd watch it.

I wonder how the viewing numbers compare between all of Discovery and Picard? I mean, Picard HAS to be a way bigger draw than Disco, right?
Old 03-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I wonder how the viewing numbers compare between all of Discovery and Picard? I mean, Picard HAS to be a way bigger draw than Disco, right?
I don't think they've said. And I'm sure that's true, even if STP looks a lot cheaper than STD.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #15
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
I don't think they've said. And I'm sure that's true, even if STP looks a lot cheaper than STD.
I've heard that there was a decent drop off on Picard, because it's gotten progressively worse...but nothing official.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I've heard that there was a decent drop off on Picard, because it's gotten progressively worse...but nothing official.
All the filming was done by the time we saw any STP episodes, so no drop in quality would have been the result of any belt-tightening due to ratings. We do know a couple of things, though:

#1. CBS was unhappy with the quality of the show under Kurtzman's solo showrunning for the first few episodes so they brought in Chabon.

#2. At some point in the season, Discovery ran out of money during its season 3 shoot so CBS had to strip money out of STP's first season budget to give it to STD.

Neither of these things are good.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
All the filming was done by the time we saw any STP episodes, so no drop in quality would have been the result of any belt-tightening due to ratings. We do know a couple of things, though:

#1. CBS was unhappy with the quality of the show under Kurtzman's solo showrunning for the first few episodes so they brought in Chabon.

#2. At some point in the season, Discovery ran out of money during its season 3 shoot so CBS had to strip money out of STP's first season budget to give it to STD.

Neither of these things are good.
Yeah, but people are more likely to give Picard a pass than Discovery. So Picard can get by on less budget.

I don't like the decision and I don't like Discovery, but I think it made good business sense.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Man, every time I start thinking about becoming more than a super-casual Trek fan, I look around and it's like, "Yeah, nah, I don't need the heartburn."

Kinda feel like I should stick with my movies and Original Series box set. Everything else just seems too much like work. All I ever see are a bunch of people super disappointed every time anything new comes out.

Jeri Ryan is still hot, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:27 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
All I ever see are a bunch of people super disappointed every time anything new comes out.
It's been a very rough 11 years being a Star Trek fan. The only highlight was Stewart walking out on stage announcing Picard. And a handful of moments on the actual show, so far.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I wonder what's worse: Getting a stream of new media that you hate, or finally getting something you're super-into and love a whole bunch, after waiting for what seemed like forever, and then being told you can't have more of it ever again because OTHER people don't like it enough?

I imagine they're both pretty goddamn frustrating. Some serious pop culture blue-balls going around these days for anyone who isn't a Marvel fanatic. "Hope THAT's your Favorite Thing Ever, cuz otherwise, well... Eh, here's some crap. But it's got a sticker on it from that thing you used to like! Isn't that sweet?"

Sigh. We live in "interesting times", just like the ancient Chinese curse/fortune cookie said.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote