The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
miru
Mad Scientist

How Did Hob?s Bomb Work?

Mutagen in IDW is used not only to evolve animals, but if used on a human, it normally adds muscle tissue. You must inject animal DNA if you want a human-to-animal mutation, which can even be regulated using special devices to go back and fourth like with the Gang of Four. So, how did Old Hob add the animal DNA to the mutagen to make the bomb that mutated the crowd without any DNA injection?
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

they most likely used the data they stole from null to come up with a randomizing agent and a codex of genetic markers for different species.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

The Mutagen Bomb is... Quite possibly the most frustrating plot device in the series. Sure, it probably has some randomiser or whatever, but it's clearly just meant to be an easy explaination for introducing new mutants without the need for labs.

I seriously doubt the actual mutant town is going to stick around for too long. The bulk of the mutants will probably be written out somehow and others will "scatter" so they can show up with minimal explaination later on.

Honestly I don't think the bomb was really all that necessary for this purpose. If you want more characters who aren't human beings you can always make them aliens, robots, demons or whatever else. If we already established Ace Duck as an alien I doubt there'll be much more need to explain humanoid animals as coming from the mutagen.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
they most likely used the data they stole from null to come up with a randomizing agent and a codex of genetic markers for different species.

That?s probably the most logical solution. I did have a suspicion the mutagen he used to make the bomb was somehow tainted.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I seriously doubt the actual mutant town is going to stick around for too long. The bulk of the mutants will probably be written out somehow and others will "scatter" so they can show up with minimal explaination later on.
Nah, I think mutant town is staying for the rest of the series. They're clearly establishing it as a big part of the current universe and I don't see them bothering to de-mutate everyone besides some of the people who want to return to their human lives. They're clearly showing most people actually enjoy being mutants...for whatever reason.

Between that and Baxter and Karai/Foot monitoring mutant town, it clearly sets up a lot of story potential. Hob also finally has a lot of mutants that could join his cause if he gets them to cooperate with him let alone whatever Null is planning.

I don't think mutant town is going away at all, I bet it'll stay for the entire duration of the series till it ends.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #6
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Oh yeah, Mutant Town ain’t going anywhere. Heck, the book itself has implied mutants becoming a growing force on the planet more than once, both in Shredder’s single issue which prophesied him leading an army of Mutants and the bad future from the Turtles in Time Mini which had Shredder as a dictator of Mutant dominated New York. Whatever you think of this first arc, Mutant Town has tremendous implications for the arcs of the turtles, their allies and enemies. It?s the logical progression of Old Hob?s character arc into TMNT’s much angrier much more reckless Magneto.

As for how it works: Like the Heisenberg Compensators in Star Trek, it works ‘Very well.’

More seriously, yeah, some sort of random animal DNA distributer from Null probably works best. Mutagen has always been quite absurd from a Hard Science perspective. It honestly is just as well that it is treated as almost/partially mystical here, made by a species so far advanced they would seem magic, and used by creatures like Kitsune who are supernatural.

The real question is how much help Hob had to procure from Lindsey and how did he do it without her realizing the nature of what he was creating? Her willingness to go along with Hob’s schemes for the sake of proving herself as a scientist is something she should probably be called out on honestly.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't see them bothering to de-mutate everyone besides some of the people who want to return to their human lives.
A cure? The solution you imagine is a cure? That's it? Of course it seems like it's going to be around forever if that's your assumption. Ah, you of shrivled up imagination...

Hahahaha!
Old 07-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Mutagen in IDW is used not only to evolve animals, but if used on a human, it normally adds muscle tissue. You must inject animal DNA if you want a human-to-animal mutation, which can even be regulated using special devices to go back and fourth like with the Gang of Four. So, how did Old Hob add the animal DNA to the mutagen to make the bomb that mutated the crowd without any DNA injection?
I think they are using the same logic from the original series. You mutate into the last thing you had contact with. If you were near some animal. Say a dog or cat. When you touch them. You would get some of there DNA on your hands. So the mutagen just combines the human and animal DNA into one.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

The animal DNA in the mutagen bomb came from the raid the Mutanimals did on Null's HQ (can't remember which issues that was). It's definitely not the "last animal you touched" thing, considering there's a mutant giraffe, a platypus, a great white shark, etc. which I don't think most people would have been touching.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Well you never know what kind of stuff giraffes are up to...
Hahahaha!
Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
The animal DNA in the mutagen bomb came from the raid the Mutanimals did on Null's HQ (can't remember which issues that was). It's definitely not the "last animal you touched" thing, considering there's a mutant giraffe, a platypus, a great white shark, etc. which I don't think most people would have been touching.
How do you explain the random mutations? people turning into various animals if the bomb has every single DNA in it? How does that even work?

How does the Mutagen decide who should mutate into what?

The 2016 TMNT Movie Out Of The Shadows explained the whole animal ancestry thing which is why Bebop and Readysteady mutated to a Warthog and Rhino. Weird yes. But every version of TMNT has its own explanation.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

There's also the question about how it impacts wildlife. Surely rats, pigeons and cockroaches must have been affected by this thing.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
There's also the question about how it impacts wildlife. Surely rats, pigeons and cockroaches must have been affected by this thing.
I wouldn't be surprise if they also mutated as a result.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
i believe their going to be addressing that issue in 106.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #15
joshuakim
Mouser

Quote:
Furthermore, there is the Central Park which had a number of animals lived in and a zoo. I guess it was luck about wind direction that night. Another issue will be about sewer system, which it can mix with water and end up in the sea.
joshuakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #16
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
How do you explain the random mutations? people turning into various animals if the bomb has every single DNA in it? How does that even work?

How does the Mutagen decide who should mutate into what?

The 2016 TMNT Movie Out Of The Shadows explained the whole animal ancestry thing which is why Bebop and Readysteady mutated to a Warthog and Rhino. Weird yes. But every version of TMNT has its own explanation.
I mean, the logical assumption is that the released mutagen works by fusing your DNA with one (random?) animal rather than all the others. I?m going to assume it only targeted human DNA.

I mean, look, I like getting into the weeds as much as the next guy but phony science is phony science.