The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #61
Leo656
The Franchise

It was a Lance Armstrong/"Livestrong" spoof after he got caught doping. It turns out Jesus was on performance-enhancing drugs when he performed all of his miracles and so everyone was cutting off their rubber bracelets except Stan. Everybody made a big deal about Stan being a person of strong conviction who wouldn't cave in to public pressure and consensus, turning him into a celebrity with a bunch of Nike endorsements and "StanGround" commercials... until it turned out he did cut it off and then glued it back on once people started giving him so much attention, therefore his "convictions" were just a big play for attention and reverence, and he was just a big hypocrite like everyone else.

The "moral" was that people love to virtue signal so that everyone thinks they're Good People, but in truth just about everybody's a big phony and it's all for attention anyways.

Kinda funny. They replay it a LOT though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #62
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It was a Lance Armstrong/"Livestrong" spoof after he got caught doping. It turns out Jesus was on performance-enhancing drugs when he performed all of his miracles and so everyone was cutting off their rubber bracelets except Stan. Everybody made a big deal about Stan being a person of strong conviction who wouldn't cave in to public pressure and consensus, turning him into a celebrity with a bunch of Nike endorsements and "StanGround" commercials... until it turned out he did cut it off and then glued it back on once people started giving him so much attention, therefore his "convictions" were just a big play for attention and reverence, and he was just a big hypocrite like everyone else.

The "moral" was that people love to virtue signal so that everyone thinks they're Good People, but in truth just about everybody's a big phony and it's all for attention anyways.

Kinda funny. They replay it a LOT though.
Oh I remember that now...vaguely. That's so Stan, though. He cares about his image a lot. Interesting how Kyle is the opposite of that.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #63
Leo656
The Franchise

It is my experience that Jewish people don't exactly put a lot of emphasis on image and what other people think of them.

Not trying to start a "thing", I am JUST explaining.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:11 PM   #64
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
South Park is garbage now. Too much focus on Randy and characters besides the four kids.
Yeah, what is this recent appeal of Stan's father Randy? The rare times I hear people bring up South Park, they usually mention him. Are they trying to make him the next Homer or Peter? I rarely watch the show, usually like once in a blue moon and the most recent one I saw involving him is that apparently Stan and his family moved and Randy takes up weed and tries to sell some or something.
LeotheLateBloomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:49 PM   #65
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Yeah, what is this recent appeal of Stan's father Randy? The rare times I hear people bring up South Park, they usually mention him. Are they trying to make him the next Homer or Peter? I rarely watch the show, usually like once in a blue moon and the most recent one I saw involving him is that apparently Stan and his family moved and Randy takes up weed and tries to sell some or something.
The creators always seem to realize right when a character is becoming popular. I remember first beginning to notice Butters and suddenly he was in nearly every episode and a fan favorite. Same with Randy a bit after.

The characters just became popular.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #66
Leo656
The Franchise

Trey and Matt are also big drug enthusiasts, and Randy gives them an avenue to lean into drug humor without involving the kids.

A thing I've noticed about cocaine people, for example, is that even if you don't ask, they will let you know how much they love cocaine. Like ALL the time. And when you have a show run by people who love cocaine, eventually, the show itself becomes all about cocaine. Family Guy started leaning heavy into it after it got successful; at first the main characters were all very anti-drug, but then once the people writing it started doing tons of blow, so did Peter and Lois. "Archer" pretty much pissed away an entire Season on cocaine jokes. It's a common and noticeable pattern; when the writers start spending a lot of money on drugs, the characters in the show they're writing follow suit. Because coke people just can't seem to shut up about how much they love coke. It's like Kevin Smith with weed; you can tell how much weed he's smoking by how terrible his latest project is.

I mean, I'm sure there are other reasons they use Randy so much, but you'll notice that he wasn't a COMPLETE degenerate early on. His slide into "total alcoholic/drug addict who's barely functioning as an adult" went hand-in-hand with the show's success and how off-the-rails Trey and Matt seemingly are in their personal lives. And I mean, I get it; they "force" themselves into a 6-day turnaround time for each episode so they can stay "fresh". Therefore, I'm pretty sure their entire studio looks like something out of "Wolf of Wall Street". But it's not actually funny, is the thing.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #67
ABrown
Banned

Looks like I'll be watching South Park's Pandemic Special (on 9/30) on Philo since apparently the show's deal with Hulu is finished.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #68
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

It's weird because I still find modern South Park legitimately funny from time to time but I hardly ever watch it. I might as well though since I laugh whenever I do. I guess Randy can be funny at times but I mainly watch it for the main four. I feel dirty sometimes whenever I laugh at Cartman's antics because I'm not suppose to like him as a character and I do legit think he needs his comeuppance like when Wendy beats the ever living f*** out of him. And I can see why that Matt and Trey have for the most part given up on killing Kenny off since even I thought it was getting old. I forgot what the explanation was for how he keeps coming back to life but I love his Mysterion reveal.

My favorite characters are Stan and Kyle because they're just two cool and normal dudes who do the right thing. It's hilarious when the straight men get into it with Cartman, usually Kyle for Cartman's jew jokes. I know Cartman was ALWAYS a brat but at what point did he evolve into a ruthless d*ck though? I don't remember him being completely mean-spirited in the first season at least.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #69
Leo656
The Franchise

No, Cartman was always pretty much a worthless human being, right from the jump. If anything he's just gotten more devious.

I think Trey and Matt were trying to make a point about how some people are just born rotten and that you can tell from the beginning that they're awful and predict how their life is gonna go from there.

I mean, Cartman's mom is literally a crack whore, but he doesn't KNOW that and she goes out of her way to spoil him rotten so he has no angst in his life from that. He doesn't have a father figure, but again, his mother overcompensates and so it's not like his life is any worse off than it would be if he had two parents. He's given everything, the only strife he gets is when people pick on him for either being fat or being mean, two things he himself is 100% in control of and could change anytime he felt like. He chooses to be the way he is, because he thinks it's funny. He has a "perfect" life and everything he wants, and yet he still chooses to be an insufferable piece of sh*t for no reason outside of his own amusement.

People will tell you, "There are no Bad People, just people who turn out bad because life has given them a raw deal" or whatever, but that's horse sh*t. I knew kids in Kindergarten who just a few years later turned out to be drug dealers who were in and out of jail, and you could totally predict their entire life's track by the time they were 6. Some people are just Born Rotten and don't give a sh*t, they're bad people because they prefer to be that way.

I think ultimately, that's always been Trey and Matt's goal with Cartman, is to reinforce that. The idea that sometimes, people are just f*cking terrible and they don't need a reason. Makes perfect sense to me given their standard M.O.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #70
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

You're pretty spot on when it comes to Cartman. Which since you put it that way, that's likely the moral of the episode where he owned an amusement park just for him to enjoy only for it to be taken away from him and to prove to Kyle that God is real and will punish those type of people, even when all seems hopeless at first.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #71
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, that was a good one. I'm not a fan of Cartman specifically, but a big fan of episodes that showcase how incurably rotten he is. Plenty of those to choose from.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #72
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Has their ever been a "Rugrats: All Growed Up" equivalent for South Park?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #73
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Has their ever been a "Rugrats: All Growed Up" equivalent for South Park?
There has never been a spin-off that depict the characters as being older or a Simpsons style potential future episode.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:54 AM   #74
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Technically there was that episode where the parents hired actors to pretend to be the boys from the future. Eric Cartman actually did come back from the future to congratulate himself on cleaning up his act.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:53 AM   #75
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Classic episode.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #76
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Technically there was that episode where the parents hired actors to pretend to be the boys from the future. Eric Cartman actually did come back from the future to congratulate himself on cleaning up his act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Classic episode.
Always curious about what kind of take the show would have on their main characters as adults. Let me know if you find out the episode name.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #77
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Sadly my ideal vision for how I'd like the show to end with the kids as adults was already done by Codename Kids Next Door
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #78
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Always curious about what kind of take the show would have on their main characters as adults. Let me know if you find out the episode name.
Here are my guesses:
  • Kenny, already being poor and... "Missing" wuite frequently would probably remain fairly low in society. He would make an ideal soldier though all things considered.
  • Cartman is a bit hard to tell, while the episode where his older self goes back in time at the end implies he'd either end up very successful or on the lower end of mediocre, depending on his decisions. Given his manipulative nature, I'd say the best case scenario is that he becomes a questionable businessman and at worst a drug dealer, in either case he wouldn't be a much better person.
  • Butters, being the obedient little sucker he is, would probably just be an office worker who pretends to be happy.
  • Token, being born rich and a talented singer/bassist, would likely be able to jumpstart a successful music career early on.
  • The Goth Kids, with the primary joke about them being what hypocrites they are, would likely grow up to not really be all that recognisable.

A lot of the other kid characters are hard to say anything about, either because they're inconsistant or because there isn't enough to work with. There are also characters like Stan, Wendy and Kyle where I have a rough idea but it's really boring because their relative lack of character flaws means they would just grow up to be upstanding citizens with few problems. Granted, Stan was shown to start drinking to get through the day, Kyle was on board with making crackbabies fight over a ball of crack and Wendy straight up murdered a teacher, but these moments don't really inform the characters in general and could be seen as out of character weirdness.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:01 PM   #79
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Looks like I'll be watching South Park's Pandemic Special (on 9/30) on Philo since apparently the show's deal with Hulu is finished.
For Hulu + Live, isn't Comedy Central one of the stations you can watch through the service. In the case of South Park, it should show up if you have the live service, you'd just have to watch it live, I guess. I'm assuming anyway as that's what I'm going to do and hope that's the case. I also noticed, that for mine, South Park eps aren't there anymore, because of the HBO Max deal stuff, but I still have the option to record episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
My favorite characters are Stan and Kyle because they're just two cool and normal dudes who do the right thing. It's hilarious when the straight men get into it with Cartman, usually Kyle for Cartman's jew jokes. I know Cartman was ALWAYS a brat but at what point did he evolve into a ruthless d*ck though? I don't remember him being completely mean-spirited in the first season at least.
Sometimes I'm cool in regards to Cartman, other times, not so much. I always liked Stan and Kenny. One of my childhood friends was a Kyle fan. I don't think he watches the show so much anymore.

Outside of the main four, I like Wendy, Butters, and Mr. Slave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
A lot of the other kid characters are hard to say anything about, either because they're inconsistant or because there isn't enough to work with. There are also characters like Stan, Wendy and Kyle where I have a rough idea but it's really boring because their relative lack of character flaws means they would just grow up to be upstanding citizens with few problems. Granted, Stan was shown to start drinking to get through the day, Kyle was on board with making crackbabies fight over a ball of crack and Wendy straight up murdered a teacher, but these moments don't really inform the characters in general and could be seen as out of character weirdness.
Stan, Wendy, and Kyle are a bit flawed, imo.

Stan has a self-image issue and always trying to make himself look good at the expense of others. That bullying episode kind of showed that. He grew selfish and made it all about him as opposed to it actually being a way to raise awareness on bullying and as a way to help Butters. He's all about his own image.

Wendy and Kyle are flawed in the sense that they try to force their views on others, even if both are usually right. It's their approach to it that sometimes backfires on them.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-25-2020 at 08:22 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #80
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

What are some of the worst punishments Cartman has ever faced? I ask because he never seems to get what's coming to him besides being insulted like Leo said. The only ones I can think of are:

1.) When he was tied to a cross and lost a lot of weight
2.) Lightning striking him after he used that iPad on a human centipede that included Kyle (seriously Kyle really did not deserve that).
3.) His amusement park being taken away from him
4.) Wendy putting waste to him. Arguably the best one!