The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > Introductions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:03 AM   #1
retrohead
Random Punk

Hi guys! Long time fan first time poster

Hi everyone! (Waves). I've been a TMNT fan since the early 90's when the original cartoon hit the BBC here in the UK. The following Christmas I remember getting the NES game and was confused about how the cover (which I now know to be lifted from a reprint of Mirage's TMNT #4) showed them all with red bandanas. A few years later I discovered the Eastman and Laird comics and the rest as they say is history.

Funny story: I've been wanting to post here since last year but for some reason I could log in but it still said I couldn't yet post until I was verified despite the site itself saying I was verified and could post. Oh well after about my 20th attempt it seems to be working now.

About me: I'm 38. Well into my sci-fi, TMNT (obviously), comics in general, cult movies and I'm a big anime and manga guy to boot. I write a blog about old school anime and manga and I also do podcasts. My dream is to become a published author.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Technodrome

Welcome into the Technodrome.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Welcome. I’ve been a big tmnt fan since the early 90s as well when the original cartoon started airing on Rte Two in Ireland. Never read the comics and don’t have an interest in the newer TMNT stuff (2012, Rise, etc.), though, but I still like both the 1987 and 2003 series along with the 1990 and 2007 films (TMNT 3 is a guilty pleasure).

I like Splinter too, though not as much as Raphael or Leonardo. It’s interesting that he’s your favourite, as most people here tend to like one of the Turtles the most. He usually gets some of the best lines and action scenes.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-28-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrohead View Post
Hi everyone! (Waves). I've been a TMNT fan since the early 90's when the original cartoon hit the BBC here in the UK.
Which incarnation of the turtles is your favourite today?
Old 01-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
retrohead
Random Punk

It's hard to say which is my favourite incarnation. I think it'd probably be between the original Mirage comics (the good issues anyway) and the first Movie. I still have a soft spot for the original cartoon but the 03 one had better writing and I like the fact the villains were more threatening and not all goofy like the original. The only incarnations I've not yet really looked into too closely is the Nickelodeon show/Rise and the IDW comics. I've read a little bit of the IDW stuff but I'm waaaaay behind due to my day job and my work on podcasting and my blog.

As for favourite characters I've always loved Splinter in every incarnation. I enjoy the "wise old master" character archetype in martial arts movies and he just has so much personality in every version of TMNT. He does often get the best lines and fights and he's been played by some great voice actors.

For the TMNT themselves I love them all but Donatello and Michaelangelo are my faves. I love Don for the fact he's intelligent and kind of sensitive and Mikey because he doesn't take life too seriously, all of those are great qualities in my opinion.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator

Oh, welcome!

You're just a few years younger than me (and that makes me not feel so much like an old fart).

More power to you endeavors to get published!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:24 AM   #7
retrohead
Random Punk

Thanks man!

Yeah I know what you mean about feeling like an old fart. Most of my cultural references are lost on the younger people at work. It still makes me feel really weird to think that 1990 was almost 30 years ago.....a sobering thought to be sure.

You've all been very welcoming. Looking forward to posting here.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
Icebot
Foot Elite

Welcome aboard!

I’m also 38 and I became a TMNT fan in the early 90’s also (mid to late 1991). My interest started with the tmnt 2 arcade game!

Hope you enjoy it here!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Thanks man!

Yeah I know what you mean about feeling like an old fart. Most of my cultural references are lost on the younger people at work. It still makes me feel really weird to think that 1990 was almost 30 years ago.....a sobering thought to be sure.

You've all been very welcoming. Looking forward to posting here.
I'm turning 37 myself and remember the great days of growing up.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
newfan
Mad Scientist

There seems a range in ages here but I think it's safe to say a good proportion are in their 30's. (from what I see anyway)
Welcome btw.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
Overlord

Quote:
I've been a TMNT fan since the early 90's when the original cartoon hit the BBC here in the UK.
I became a fan around mid-1991, with the Fred Wolf Studios cartoon and Archie comics, as well as the original video games.
Closed Thread