The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Apple To Produce New "Peanuts" Content

Quote:
Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts gang are coming to Apple. In a competitive situation, the streaming service has landed a deal with DHX Media to produce new Peanuts content.

Working closely with its subsidiary Peanuts Worldwide, DHX Media will develop and produce original programs, including new series, specials and shorts based on the beloved characters created by Charles M. Schultz.

One of the projects under the deal is original short-form STEM content that will be exclusive to Apple, featuring astronaut Snoopy. Peanuts Worldwide and NASA recently signed a Space Act Agreement, designed to inspire a passion for space exploration and STEM among the next generation of students.

Acquiring an entire library of iconic, globally recognizable characters in mega deals with the goal of building TV universes has become a trend for streamers. Netflix recently made such a pact with The Roald Dahl Story Company for a slate of new original animated event series based on the books from the Roald Dahl library, including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The BFG, The Twits, and other beloved titles.

Schulz first introduced the world to the Peanuts characters in 1950, when the Peanuts comic strip debuted in seven newspapers. Since then, Charlie Brown, Snoopy & Co. have made an indelible mark on popular culture. Peanuts animated specials and series air on major networks and streaming services, including ABC, Cartoon Network and Boomerang in the U.S., and Family Channel in Canada. Peanuts also are a hugely popular consumer products brand around the world and have spawned amusement parks attractions and cultural events, with a daily comic strip available in all formats from traditional to digital.

In 2018, Peanuts partnered with NASA on a multi-year Space Act Agreement designed to inspire a passion for space exploration and STEM among the next generation of students. The Peanuts characters and related intellectual property are 41% owned by DHX Media, 39% owned by Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc., which acquired a stake in DHX earlier this year, and 20% owned by the Schultz family.
https://deadline.com/2018/12/apple-m...er-1202520215/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The Schultz family agreed to this? I thought we were really lucky to get more than the two specials in pre-production before Schultz's passing. In other words to get Happiness Is A Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown special and The Peanuts Movie. So more specials? I cannot argue, I just hope it is all done with the green light of Charles Schultz family and this is what the man would have wanted.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm a little surprised that the brand is apparently still so popular. Seems kinda bland compared to what youngsters are mostly into nowadays. Going by the wording of the article, it's probably more of a big deal in other countries than here, like Woody Woodpecker or something.

The family's share seems to be comparatively low, so while we can hope they're on board with whatever gets produced, I doubt it actually matters. So long as the kids don't all get skateboards and start talking in "hip" slang, I think we're safe.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm a little surprised that the brand is apparently still so popular. Seems kinda bland compared to what youngsters are mostly into nowadays. Going by the wording of the article, it's probably more of a big deal in other countries than here, like Woody Woodpecker or something.

The family's share seems to be comparatively low, so while we can hope they're on board with whatever gets produced, I doubt it actually matters. So long as the kids don't all get skateboards and start talking in "hip" slang, I think we're safe.
That'd make it more interesting. The only thing more boring than Peanuts would be Garfield. Or maybe Heathcliff.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:13 AM   #5
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The Schultz family agreed to this? I thought we were really lucky to get more than the two specials in pre-production before Schultz's passing. In other words to get Happiness Is A Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown special and The Peanuts Movie. So more specials? I cannot argue, I just hope it is all done with the green light of Charles Schultz family and this is what the man would have wanted.
Indeed, I enjoy Happiness Is A Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown and loved The Peanuts Movie. But I'm not sure if Charles' family would agree to this. I believe they were the ones entrusted with the rights likely so it won't be in the wrong hands. I know there were a few Peanuts shorts that were made that I watched online. They were okay. they just exist. I love and cherish the property as that's what got me into drawing but I'm not sure if there is anything more you can do with the property aside from the recent movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I know in some computer games Snoopy has been seen riding skateboards a few times. Linus was also a rollerskater in It Was My Best Birthday Ever, Charlie Brown. Lol, I know it might have been a rhetorical response but I couldn't help myself. It's just I read and watched way too much Peanuts so I'm a bit of a Peanut.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The first of the new Peanut projects

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
Mr Salk
Thug

The peanuts movie was a rehash of plots and gags from the classic seasonal cartoons. Disappointing.
Mr Salk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
The peanuts movie was a rehash of plots and gags from the classic seasonal cartoons. Disappointing.
A lot of the Peanuts specials and TV shows have done this. That's nothing new to the brand.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #9
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The Peanuts movie was good. It was cute and had a cool look. A lot of franchises reuse things. It’s still “new” to new viewers. It was not supposed to be a different version or reimagining.

I’d watch this this but I don’t have Apple TV.