The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #2641
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
If you don't think the original movie from 1990 is a gem, you should be forced to live the rest of your life in the sewers.
Still hard to believe that movie happened.

Slightly dated aspects aside, if we were to get a tmnt film of that quality, today, I would probably shite my pants in the theater. Honestly, it's miraculous existence would probably annoy me on some level.

Anyone else ever get slightly anxious in an uncomfortable way when they find out something they have wanted is coming their way? Can't explain. Anways...
Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #2642
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

There's no reason why we couldn't have. There's no reason why we couldn't have gotten a passionate, earnest, great TMNT movie that hits all the right notes, with good writing and directing and great effects in this day and age.

But the problem lies and will always lie in handing the live action movie tasks to Platinum Dunes, who have never made a good movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #2643
Powder
So tired of this place

A movie in the style of the original one would have done very well, even now. It's in line with all that heavy shadow/character driven stuff that people eat up in comic book movies nowadays. Hell, even something like SOTO would work as Marvel's films often times have that very playful tone.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 07-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #2644
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
There's no reason why we couldn't have. There's no reason why we couldn't have gotten a passionate, earnest, great TMNT movie that hits all the right notes, with good writing and directing and great effects in this day and age.

But the problem lies and will always lie in handing the live action movie tasks to Platinum Dunes, who have never made a good movie.
That's not true! They produced...

Oh, wait, sorry; I'm in the timeline where Michael Bay is the long-lost fraternal twin of Uwe Boll, aren't I?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #2645
Amaranthus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
If you don't think the original movie from 1990 is a gem, you should be forced to live the rest of your life in the sewers.
I haven't seen it. Maybe I should.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #2646
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Lol dude...just lol.... If you didn't grow up with it, you're probably going to be like "heinh?, WTF!". But you should check it out, just for fun.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #2647
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
You're seriously missing out, definitely watch it as soon as you can.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 07-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #2648
letscook89
Foot Soldier

Yeah the 1990 one is a very good TMNT movie. The only thing I don't like about it is Donatello. I don't understand why they make him a twin of Michelangelo. My god those two are so annoying during the film.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #2649
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook89 View Post
Yeah the 1990 one is a very good TMNT movie. The only thing I don't like about it is Donatello. I don't understand why they make him a twin of Michelangelo. My god those two are so annoying during the film.
Leo and Don barely have any personality or screentime in the 1990 movie. Other than that (and the non-fight between Shredder and the Turtles), it's an awesome movie.

Casey F'ing Jones.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #2650
letscook89
Foot Soldier

Hmm I have to disagree with you concerning Leo.
Spoiler:
When Raph is beaten nearly to death and stay in coma, he seems to be the most affected by the situation.While the others are relaxing themselves, Leo waits the awakenning of his brother. He is also polite and calm toward April when the turtles leave his house for the first time. During the fire camp scene he orders his bros to concentrate and seems to be the most serious one. During the fight against shredder, he is in the first plan. However it is Raph who is the most developped in the entire movie. His scream of despair and anger when they discover splinter's missing is really violent and emotional. I love him so much.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #2651
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Hmm I have to disagree with you concerning Leo.
Spoiler:
When Raph is beaten nearly to death and stay in coma, he seems to be the most affected by the situation.While the others are relaxing themselves, Leo waits the awakenning of his brother. He is also polite and calm toward April when the turtles leave his house for the first time. During the fire camp scene he orders his bros to concentrate and seems to be the most serious one. During the fight against shredder, he is in the first plan. However it is Raph who is the most developped in the entire movie. His scream of despair and anger when they discover splinter's missing is really violent and emotional. I love him so much.
I'll give you that Leo stays by Raph's side and is also polite to April. Also leads during the meditation. But that's it.

We never get to seem him actually being any kind of a leader. When Raph says "so we stay here and sit on our shells? Is that your plan, Fearless Leader?" (or something to that effect), Raph is RIGHT.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #2652
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Quote:
That's not true! They produced...

Oh, wait, sorry; I'm in the timeline where Michael Bay is the long-lost fraternal twin of Uwe Boll, aren't I?
I'd take one of Michael Bay's movies over Uwe Boll's any day. His effects are better, and at least his movies are "watchable" if you abandon all sense of hope, reality, and any joy you had for the franchise he's destroying. Uwe Boll's are just... *shivers*

The worst part is that at least Bay has acknowledged his movies aren't Oscar worthy and are just high-testosterone movies. Boll legitimately thinks he's a good director.

Quote:
I'll give you that Leo stays by Raph's side and is also polite to April. Also leads during the meditation. But that's it.

We never get to seem him actually being any kind of a leader. When Raph says "so we stay here and sit on our shells? Is that your plan, Fearless Leader?" (or something to that effect), Raph is RIGHT.
Honestly, I always thought of the 1990 movie as more of a "team" movie. Even though Raph had the most screen time, it still felt like the Turtles were a whole.

2014 had the Turtles feel like a whole... For the 20 minutes they were in the movie.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #2653
letscook89
Foot Soldier

Yep you're right dude. I watched a few episodes of the 1987 cartoon today and I was surprised how cheesy Raphael was. I mean he's not a rebel or a hothead in this show, but only a sarcastic turtle. Mikey isn't the stupid and goofy turtle one we got in the 2012 show, but only loves pizza. Leo isn't really a leader, but Donnie is still a genius. I hated him in the 1990 film, but it's the total opposite in this cartoon ^^.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #2654
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Eh, I can't agree with you guys. 2014 felt like a team movie (for all of 20 minutes), and 1990 felt like RAPH the movie, with supporting crew Leo, Don, and Mike. It's still really good and absolutely the best TMNT movie produced... but unfortunately, being the best TMNT movie produced isn't that hard to pull off given the competition.

No, Uwe Boll purposely makes terrible movies so he can make more money and get more tax breaks. He's just a troll. He's...

Spoiler:
Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #2655
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Quote:
Eh, I can't agree with you guys. 2014 felt like a team movie (for all of 20 minutes), and 1990 felt like RAPH the movie, with supporting crew Leo, Don, and Mike. It's still really good and absolutely the best TMNT movie produced... but unfortunately, being the best TMNT movie produced isn't that hard to pull off given the competition.

No, Uwe Boll purposely makes terrible movies so he can make more money and get more tax breaks. He's just a troll. He's...

1. I'd take Raph the movie over Megan Fox the movie any day. XD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Dude, check out his YouTube channel. I'm not even kidding, he started fundraisers for his movies, and then made a whole video cursing people out for not funding his movies.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #2656
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

while yes 1990 can seem very raph centric when it comes to leo you have to remember one thing

this is supposed to be the story of their first adventure,

Leonardo's first line to splinter is

"We have had our first battle, Master Splinter! They were many, but we kicked... but we fought well"

it is literally the turtles first time outside the sewer when they first save april and the first time they leave in 15 years per splinters orders

Leonardo actually isnt a leader yet, thats why raph Jabs with the "Great Leader" remark

in the first movie Leo is still just only a son searching for his father with his brothers

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
Old 07-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #2657
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Had to go see who the heck this Uwe Boll person even is... the heck?

That's basically the future of Michael Bay once people stop giving him money to make crap. (Kinda look forward to seeing his meltdowns.)

His accent + English + mad is kind of funny though...
Old 07-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #2658
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Yeah, go find the Game Theorists' Youtube video on Uwe Boll and videogame movies. Trust me, Boll knows EXACTLY what he's doing.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #2659
letscook89
Foot Soldier

The fun fact about Uwe Boll is that he makes a lot a of video games' adaptations, but he DOESN'T LIKE video games.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #2660
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
The fun fact about Uwe Boll is that he makes a lot a of video games' adaptations, but he DOESN'T LIKE video games.
Exactly like Michael Bay making a lot of comic book movies and not liking comic books.

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, tigerclaw is cybercubed, tmnt2